Geoff appreciation thread

One huge thing that sits in Sym main’s minds is the teleporter. Are you looking at buffing it / making it more consistent? (Entry porter placement, activation time, interact radius, etc.) Also the railings interaction (goes for shadow step too.)

We’d really love to know if the teleporter concerns are known to the dev team.

Bonus question: Ever thinking about returning shielding (blue HP providing) to Sym in some form? A shield aura would be awesome. Shielding was cool due to being unique to Sym and to many of us, it was a defining part of her identity.

10 Likes

You should focus on reducing one shot abilities (not speaking about combos) from the game because it’s one of the reasons that cause frustration. It just doesn’t work in a game like OW and the same goes to CC (talking about Mei especially)

1 Like

Geoff as a Sombra main i want to give a shout out to you guys for working on her hack visuals on the PTR. This is very appreciated!

However, I’m curious if you have considered adding the timer skull for hacked enemies, as it is very inconsistent compared to her hack on other stuff like healthpacks and turrets.

Is there a reason why you didnt give hacked enemies the same visuals?

4 Likes

Other then how people view Symmetra 3.0, or even my own feelings, how do the devs feel about her? Are y’all happy? Or even, do you feel like she lost something similar to how you said Hanzo has lost something special to him.

Otherwise I’m happier with her then ever, I do miss giving shields though.

2 Likes

Appreciate the rawness of your answer, especially considering that in effect the buff was overall beneficial to game balance but that you still wish he were changed in other ways in order to tell him apart from the other sharp shooters.

Have you considered possibly incorporating some variation of his old scatter arrow or adding a curved arrow so that he still has to rely more on prediction for his primary fire, but can catch certain opponents off guard if he positions himself correctly for these alternate fire modes?

Again thanks for sharing some these insights into what goes on in the design process. :+1:

2 Likes

I think that’s certainly possible. Overall her healing output is still higher than the other healers, which she pays for by not being able to split focus and do other things while healing. I’d also love to be able to increase the power of her damage boosting, but it causes a lot of issues with various breakpoints where suddenly X hero can one-shot 200 health heroes etc. There are other ways to make it feel better without just adding raw damage though, we’ll see.

61 Likes

Wait, the hack visuals changed on PTR?

I’m really grateful for the devteam. They’re pretty supportive and kind. One of them sent me a huge box of OW gifts after reading my Reddit post and someone else even offered to drive me to the OWL stadium. Unfortunately I couldn’t do it, but that was one of the nicest things I’ve seen any video game company do.

I also really enjoy the recent balance changes for the most part. They’re pretty sound and address a lot of the issues that have plagued the game for a long time.

2 Likes

HYPE
You just made me so happy!

Damage boost is my FAVORITE part of her whole kit, I love using it to ensure kills and help my team perform at their peak!

Thank you for the response and im excited for any potential changes to make her feel better!

7 Likes

Yes they increased opacity on the oulines and the initial skull which vanishes shortly after the hack.

1 Like

Aww, I’d hoped to see an Omnic thief someday that could open temporarily holes in walls by putting a portal on the wall using stolen Vishkar tech and causing a duplicate on the other end to temporarily open up the wall for travel/shooting.

3 Likes

Oh nice I’ll have to go check that out. Thanks.

Or just a character with a gun like the one from Portal lol

I actually looked into the railings stuff with Symm/Reaper ground targeting and worked on it for a while last week. It turns out its a bit more complicated and is going to require some code changes to try to change it, but i’m hoping we can get something in next patch if it goes well in play testing.

As far as the teleport build speed… maybe. I totally get the thing where you go to try to make the clutch save and the build time is so long that they die anyway, but the concern is we need to make sure we don’t just give your whole team nearly instant teleportation across a huge area. If we’re not careful it could really make all chokes not even worth trying to defend etc. That said it something we could try and play test with and see how it goes.

95 Likes

Who’s the toughest hero for you to balance and why? I’m guessing that heroes like Doom, Sombra, and Mei are pretty hard because there seems to be a fine line between trash and op

Are there any future plans for Bastion?

I honestly believe that was holding him back is his raw dmg output in Sentry mode

What i meant is that its taking WAY too much power that the rest of his kit could use to make him more viable

Kinda similar to Torbjorn who had his Turret somewhat nerfed but the hero itself got buffed

Thanks for reading Geoff :3

I’ve really just wanted to see reload be toggled to Guardian Angel with beam target priority, and freeing up the current toggle with Guardian Angel to be your aimed-at target. I’ve gone back and forth with how I’ve toggled GA, it made me wish I had two buttons for it, and reload is… right there. I think that’d be a fun, mini-buff to give her, because it does sort of feel like Mercy is “missing out” on GA opportunities depending on whether she has her options set a certain way.

3 Likes

Geoff, why have you guys abandoned separate console balancing? Why do you feel console is so drastically different right now from PC?I don’t think the difference has ever felt so extreme.

2 Likes

Is there anything in the pipeline for Pharah? I feel she has a similar balancing problem.

2 Likes

Would you be considering a new hero with a flight ability(s)? Heroes who can take to the skies via some aerobatics feels really good. And its great you’re here to chat on the forums tonight :heart: :smile:

1 Like