Mercy minor rework idea

not a bad idea but perhaps suited for a new different hero

Damage reduction can be comparable to healing and Mercy’s reliability makes her healing good enough, giving her dmg mitigation would probably turn her above and beyond

This was also a suggestion on someone else’s thread about Zen, a dmg reduction debuff for enemies… it could be interesting if a new hero had both ideas on the same kit, the goal is always to have a signature move (except for Moira I guess)

I guess that’s subjective, not everyone sees Mercy’s end result as a net positive, especially those who main (or mained) her. There are an unknown number of people like Mercy, sure, for whatever reason that is and I respect that. But there are equally an unknown number who don’t. Those who generally see Mercy’s end result as a net positive, on a large scale, are those not maining Mercy or are playing against Mercy in some aspect.

On to the rework though, are we saying no hero (or at least Mercy) should be reworked again, even if a hero may appear to need a bit further work, simply because of how horrific the balancing/hero design team have handled the initial rework? It’s not the community’s fault, or particularly those who mained Mercy and subsequently warned about her state (overpowered) while her rework was initially on PTR, that their feedback was ignored in favor of potentially primarily listening to opinions of the pros (thanks to the initial rework) and then observing how things played out in eSports such as OWL.

1 Like

If you think that, you should watch more high ranked mercy streams.

1 Like

That’s the beauty of my idea. It isn’t a buff, or a nerf, it’s a side grade.

It’s also unnecessary.

1 Like

Depends on POV. The main thing I want to get out of it, is healing the divide between both sides. Who would this change upset?

Damage boost is a really important part of her kit, I would personally be opposed to this.

1 Like

How? What would Mercy lose in this scenario? She can still support her team pushing up, just in a different way that relies less on her team being good.

What does this even mean?

It would upset me, a Mercy player who really does not want a completely unnecessary rework just for poops and giggles.

no

It’s a core part of her kit. I’d keep damage boost over ressurect any day.

There are plenty of other parts of her kit they could touch or change, leave damage boost in it. In fact Geoff was even talking about buffing her damage boost a few months ago:

If you’re good with her, she’s great when played aggressively. I see this as lowering her skill floor more than anything.

I’ll admit it’s hard to make her appeal to everyone, but as she is now you’re greatly rewarded as you become more proficient.

2 Likes

I feel like changing her damage boost into anything defensive will be a bad idea.

A) she is one of few healers that synergizes better with dps than tanks, which imo is a good thing

B) shifting her more toward tanks/defense forces her to compete with the likes of Ana more directly, which I think will hurt her pick rates

A simple rework i like is switching rez and valk. Ult becomes a quick, pulse bomb style ult, you have to think about when to use it because it won’t just come back on its own. Maybe make it instant again but still melee range.

Valk lasts 4s, 12s CD starts after it ends. Allows for quick, purposeful uses of it instead of floating out of sight forever. Quick aoe heal after dynamite, quick boost for an ult push, reposition somewhere you have no allies (the free flying might be too strong, maybe just extended and faster GAs)

2c

1 Like

So your solution is an even more controversial change?

agreed and well said, sir…

1 Like

I suppose so, I see it the other way around. A ‘bigger’ change perhaps, but ultimately (lul) it’s all her same capabilities shuffled around.

The OP proposal is an actual change in her functionality, and how she interacts/balances with other heroes on a fundamental level.

The thing is, I’ve seen ideas like yours get shot down. I’ve had other ideas, that also get shot down. This is just one of many threads of talking about Mercy balance, and I’ve slowly been trying to find an idea that tackles the complaints from people who have a problem with current Mercy, and those that worry about change making her too meta again.

However, it seems neither side want compromise, and that’s a shame. It’s starting to annoy me.

1 Like

I wouldnt let it bother you, it simply is what it is

some groups want mutually exclusive changes, such as one group wanting mass rez returned and another wanting rez in any/all forms removed from the game

as such, there is no possibility pleasing all parties in this particular matter.

If I had my way, rez would shift to ult (single instant rez), and valk would just go away. Make E something similar to antinade and IF field. Not those affects, but something skill shot-esque that makes a big impact on fights.

Maybe please is the wrong word. It’s more doing something that isn’t hated. Keeping Mercy the same is hated. Changing her too much is hated. Buffing her is hated (Worry of Moth Meta 2.0). If I can find something that maybe not loved by all, but at least not hated, I want to chose that path for Mercy.

I made an attempt at this with my compromise rework some time back.

three key elements

1. make Valkyrie a bit more skill intensive
  2. make rez an option providing a 2nd option to those who dont like rez
  3. provide a means to boost midfight healing power
1 Like