šŸ”˜ Mercy Needs an R Ability Instead of an HPS Buff

Thereā€™s been so much recent debate over 50 HPS or 60 HPS, throwing ideas around of making her unable to heal that much during GA, nerfing damage boost etc. but realistically I think itā€™s safe to say that giving her an ability on her Reload button that temporarily boosts her healing output would be a lot healthier than a flat HPS buff. And also, Mercy just needs more things to do. People may say her kit is ā€œbloatedā€ but having an E ability you use 6 times a game and nothing else to contribute outside your beams is not a lot to do and manage. GA is also the shortest CD ability in the game and rez is the longest so whereā€™s the actual CD management that other healers have?

For one, a heal boost ability on R, regardless of if itā€™s cooldown based or a resource meter, would be more skillful than a flat HPS buff.

Youā€™d have to make conscious decisions on when and how to use it, itā€™d have uptime and downtime to manage, and itā€™s greatly increase the decision making that goes into her healing. Itā€™d be a lot more interesting that just a flat 60 or 55 HPS buff that every Mercy player has just for pressing m1 on an ally. It would raise her skill ceiling and impact proportionally, as Mercy players who were good at managing it would do more healing than bad Mercy players, which is always good for the hero.

They could do it one of two ways, a cooldown or a resource meter.

Cooldown could be something like you press R to do 60 HPS for 4 seconds, then it goes on a 12 second cooldown.

But Iā€™d personally prefer it to be a resource meter like D.vaā€™s Defense Matrix and Moiraā€™s heal. Something like:

You have a resource meter of 6 seconds of 60 HPS, and hold down R to use it. It drains over time as you use it, and stops when itā€™s empty. The resource meter increases slowly passively over time, but you can fill it up faster with damage boost.
(Or make it % based, so she does 25% more healing during it, which also bumps up her Valk healing)

Just think about how that would really increase the brainpower required to get maximum value out of Mercy. Youā€™d not only be beam juggling like usual but have to manage a resource-based healing mechanic to perform at maximum value. Call it Cadeuceus Overload and make the beam glow much brighter for the duration so you and the enemies both have a visual indicator.

Then itā€™d even directly make Valkyrie more interesting as you could use it during Valk to give increased healing to all teammates in an AoE for a few seconds.

We know that R abilities are not a wild idea, as the Devs have experimented with giving one to both Hanzo and to Reinheart since neither of them have to reload either. Geoff also said

When I asked him last year, but his statement is no longer true as Moira, Bap, and Ana are all outhealing Mercy on average in GM whilst contributing a lot more damage and Brig is only 1,000 healing behind her. Even after Bap and Moiraā€™s HPS nerf they still outheal Mercy :confused:

I just want a change that allows Mercy to be viable in the higher tiers again. She does great at keeping herself alive all teamfight, but canā€™t really sustain her team and thus has been moved into an off-healer role alongside Ana 99% of the time. If you try running her as a main healer with a Zen or Lucio, youā€™re basically throwing. And I donā€™t know about you guys but I really miss Zen Mercy being a viable comp. It was super offensive with relatively low but sustained burst healing and an offensive punch!

Higher healing would allow Mercy to be played as a main support again, and not just as:

:slight_smile:

77 Likes

I agree that another active ability would be much better than a healing buff. Iā€™d rather the ability didnā€™t just amp her healing, though. I think something like temporary damage reduction would be neat.

One thing that always comes to mind for me when brainstorming for Mercy is an ability that holy priests use in WoW. Guardian Spirit is a buff you throw on yourself or an ally and it increases healing they receive while itā€™s up and, if they take what would be a fatal blow, the buff expires and they recover 50% HP. It only lasts for a few seconds and has a long CD, so you have to be careful about throwing it.

12 Likes

this is exactly what i want

but if its on a resource meter i think it can be higher than 60hps otherwise it wouldnt be too noticeable

10 Likes

How does she reload?

It would obviously only work when she has her healing staff out which doesnt need reloading.

16 Likes

Waitā€¦WHAT? You mean all this time Iā€¦

5 Likes

just give her a poop ability where she drops an egg that heals 10hp/s or 10% damage boost (base on what beam she is using) to any allies that picks it up. She can fly through the sky and poop down onto her allies.

3 Likes

Oooh, a new active ability that also has mechanical aim with a projectile. Faaaaancy ideaā€¦

They wont put an R ability on Mercy because R abilities do not exist in this game. Every character has 2 abilities and an ultimate. Some passives maybe but this would be a completely new feature specifically for Mercy and if the devs wont even bother experimenting with her numbers without even commiting to them then I guarantee you they are not going to pull resources into making a completely new ability for her. Plus that would just open the flood gates to everybody wanting an R ability too. Just buff her hps, do it on experimental, you find her opressive and remove it. TEST IT, you have a PTR and an experimental card, just test the damn thing

2 Likes

Iā€™m really not for any more Burst Healing in the game, and Iā€™d much rather prefer a cleanse ability on her R ability if she were to get an R ability.
Less healing, more utility.
I also worry about a burst heals impact on pocket interactionsā€¦ yes, Iā€™d love to make my Dps able to Play The Game for once, but letā€™s be honest, itll end up being used to pocket a tank insteadšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Iā€™d rather win a pocket duel through efficient and risky body blocking and damage boost timing. Not just ā€œI outhealed your damageā€ and be a healbotā€¦
If Mercy were able to contest Ana with a cleanseā€¦ thatā€™d be my preferred niche.

This is a great idea (and is even Geoff Goodman approved).

Personally, I think 4s duration and 10s cooldown would be great and balanced.

4s of 60hps isnā€™t too strong, but gives Mercy a way to amplify her healing when itā€™s really needed.

2 Likes

They can make it an ā€œFā€ ability then, since Sombra yours truly and Torb both have use for that key. Itā€™s not out of the realm of possibility.

@on topic: Iā€™m mighty impressed with the thought behind the idea Ryan. You took a common suggestion and turned it into a triple play idea. Not only would this ā€œoomphā€ her healing in general, it would give her more stuff to manage, allow Synergy with Valk to great effect, and promote some more damage boost use while weā€™re at it. I genuinely cannot see a downside to this buff outside of the devs just not wanting Mercy to play beyond an entry level hero(which is quite selfish for all the competitive Mercy players who want to, you knowā€¦compete).

5 Likes

The thing is that Mercy is supposed to be incredibly simple. Thatā€™s her identity, and giving her another ability would undermine the entire concept of her being a basic healer.

2 Likes

Basic and Straightforward are 2 very different things.
Mercy was made to only provide help 1 way at a time, but be consistent at doing so. She wasnt made to be Basic, Moira is more basic than Mercy by a mile.

7 Likes

F is the interact button. It helps you interact with your constructs by destroying them or using them to teleport when near syms teleporter. Iā€™m sorry but I really donā€™t think itā€™s within the realm of possibility for the devs to do something like that for Mercy.

Baptiste found dead in miami

To elaborate on this: how would mercy use Symā€™s teleporter if she got an interact key ability

I donā€™t know what to say. Youā€™re telling me the devs arenā€™t capable of introducing an already introduced keybind for Mercy because of a technicality, because she doesnā€™t have a ā€œconstruct?ā€

Well all right, I didnā€™t think opposition for this would have such off the wall reasons lol

Teleport takes priority. There is already a rule for this with Sombra and Torb.

4 Likes

Except the ones which have more, like Hammond / Baps, who has an extra ability on crouch.

5 Likes

Robot, youā€™re speaking Blasphemy right now. Mercy must remain simple, only two buttons allowed.

Edit: or Hanzo and Genji with double jump, wall climb and lunge on spacebar.

3 Likes