Why shouldn't Mercy be buffed?

You can, but the problem about telling someone to play smarter is that you have to assume the enemy is equally as smart. Will there be times where you can get rez off? Absolutely. Is it harder than necessary for how long of a cooldown it has? Also absolutely.

Apples to oranges. Not the same thing at all. I’d argue that Headshots are a lot less difficult to land than Rez because if you’re playing either of these characters and going for a headshot, you’ll be at range I.E. safe from immediate counterplay. Which is not the same for Mercy and Rez - since you need to be in the middle of battle and within range of several counters.

Mhm. Sure.

Of course you don’t plan for these things to happen - that’s a nonsensical statement. If you’re going for a key rez and Lucio comes out of nowhere and boops you, or if Mei comes out from a side room and freezes you - you can’t really plan for that. Game sense and planning can only take you so far. Again, you’re assuming planning is all on the Mercy when there are other players and they’ll be just as skilled or even more skilled.

Again, completely different scenario. Seeing a Brigitte near where you’re ulting is of course the Reaper’s fault. But if the Reaper doesn’t see the Brigitte and she just so happens to come out of a side room and bash him, that’s not something he could have planned for.

And this is a problem. Why should Mercy be the only healer who cannot provide the utility of damage in mid-fight while also retaining her ability to easily heal when EVERY other healer can do this? It used to be her utility + great heals that justified it. But her utility isn’t as amazing at this point and her healing isn’t as amazing. So it’s not justified.

And this wasn’t a problem originally because Mercy was the best healer with the most utility. Nowadays that doesn’t hold true and one of her weaknesses for being a main healer (not being able to easily deal damage) isn’t warranted given healers like Ana and Lucio who are capable of decent DPS while also providing excellent healing.

And? Isn’t that what the thread is about?

2 Likes

In an interview Geoff said they´re planning to give Mercy some reload function for her staff that´ll increase her healing for a short time, and/or maybe buff her healing to 55 HPS so I think it means we just need to wait.

Is there a source for that interview?

Yes I´m trying to find it again right now

The buff she needs is to remove her gun and let her shoot with her staff

1 Like

The question was if they could ever give her 55 HPS or a reload function and there you find the answer.

1 Like

Thats quite telling. The idea of decision-making and gamesense is knowing how to act in specific situation. Something Mercy mains have always taken pride on. You should plan ahead before rezzing by reading the situation. Granted, things wont go the way you want always-- but that doesnt means you can never rez mid-fight.

Oh and Mercy has no team? You can’t communicate either? You’re assuming that the enemy team is always more skilled than her, (hence the fallacy that you cant rez mid-fight) which is not true.

Which is why i said you need to keep tabs on enemy positioning. Its basic game knowledge to keep tabs on counters and in Mercy’s case, any enemy that can stun you out of rez, so you dont get jumped on by an enemy that magically “comes out of nowhere” or " just so happens to be nearby"

This is why shotcalling is important. Eases the game for everyone in the team to have someone keeping tabs on possible counter attacks and while its usually a Mercy’s job-- everyone in the team can shotcall.

Dont want to play smarter? To keep tabs on enemy CD’s and positioning? Fine, but dont come saying Mercy needs to be looked at because you wont play her correctly.

Because thats her fundamental design? Not everyone needs to be a carbon copy of Ana.
This is how Mercy always worked.

Are yall sure y’all’s issue is the rework and not her core design?

You can’t be more wrong. Did we played the same game in 2016? Since day one Lucio had been considered the best healer with the best utility and heals with the original speed boost and the larger aura. Not Mercy. The first popular comps had lucio (or double lucio) over Mercy. The fact people would prefer playing two Lucios over having a Mercy tells me Mercy wasnt “the best healer with the most utility”. Specially when her utility was damage boost and a cluncky Rez, compared to burst heals, shields and increased mobility just by existing as Lucio.

And it’s that Mercy’s issue? Thats an everyone issue. Ana players dont get great teammates all the time, Sombra, Reinhardt, Lucio, Wrecking Ball, D.va, Bap etc mains dont always get “great teammates” yet they dont ask for changes because the problem is the team, not the character they’re playing

1 Like

Let’s put it this way: Mercy is much more demanding, than Ana, for good teammates. As Ana, you got plenty of ways to improve your healing capabilities: better aim, proper use of biotic nade, nanoboost. As Mercy, it’s always within 50-60 hps range, so good teammates become mandatory for her healing to be of any use, regardless from skill of Mercy player.

1 Like

Yes knowing how to act in a specific situation that you are aware of the details. You’re expecting people to be omnipresent. That’s not logical. You plan ahead by checking the area and seeing if anyone is in there before you rush in. If you see nobody is there and then go for the rez and someone happens to have been hiding around the corner, then you’re dead or interrupted. Or you die and the rez goes through which doesn’t really give your team an advantage unless the person is a key player.

Notice how you’re creating a strawman here. I didn’t say you can NEVER rez mid-fight. I said:

“The issue is that rez is hard to land unless the enemy team is derping hard.” which is a true statement. You putting never there implies I said that she can never get the rez off, which I didn’t say.

I didn’t say that? If Mercy is rez’ing a target, most of the time it’ll have been because they were ill positioned or sniped. Both of which requires Mercy to get into an area where said teammate was ill positioned or got sniped at. I.E. putting herself in a bad position. If you are able to communicate and have Rein shield you while you rez or Winston throw down a bubble, or something to that effect - wonderful! But that’s not the majority.

Also, yet again you’re saying something in reference to not being able to rez-mid fight. I didn’t state this. It is you creating the fallacy here.

If an enemy is hiding how can you know where they are? I think you keep falling back on enemy positioning without understanding that nobody, no matter how good they are will be able to account for that all the time. Say there is a Mei or Lucio unaccounted for - do you just not Rez a crucial ally?

Again, her fundamental design was not a problem back when other healers didn’t have as much output. It is irrelevant how she “always worked” because by that argument, we should have Mass Rez since that’s how she worked in the beginning. Or Symm should still have 6 turrets. Heroes change.

And what happened? They changed these things because Mercy was supposed to be the main healer. They messed it up.

4 Likes

Wanna hear the ironic part? Read the last sentence of my paragraph. All I wanted was a little Mercy buff and then asked the thread to be argument free. Look how that turned out

Sure, let’s protect widow from Winston dives to an even more comical level than current.

If I had more time, I’d create a meme with the “am I a joke to you?” Guy with Winston’s face.

I’m surprised people are still advocating for Mercy buffs. Blizzard has more than proven that they’re pretty firm in their stance, regarding the state of Mercy. If you’re unhappy with her current condition, I recommend playing a different hero. It’s honestly not worth stressing over anymore guys, and you’ll feel so better after having lifted that burden off your shoulders.

1 Like

A lot have moved on to other heroes and some have even left the game. However feedback is still a thing.

Just cause they stop playing a hero or the game people are still allowed to voice their dissatisfaction and hope the old hero (who may have been the one who got them to even play OW in the first place) can still get some changes to help improve their stagnant style of play.

1 Like

I have to agree, as a Mercy player, she might need a bit of a buff It takes me way too long to heal tanks.

I think 60 would be a good number, but maybe she can’t keep it sustained constantly?

Honestly though, in the heat of battle, it doesn’t bother me too much.

1 Like

Proposing ideas like Lumi suggested-healing tied to how close Mercy is?

Or what was suggested in a thread a while ago that gave her higher healing the further she had to GA to her targets?

Oh, I’m not saying that people aren’t allowed to voice their concerns. That’s literally the entire point of the forums for any online game. I’m merely suggesting that people try moving on, if they’re still dissatisfied with Mercy’s state. Constantly reflecting on what is going wrong isn’t healthy for anyone’s mindset, in my opinion, and I doubt Blizzard is stressing over the current balance of the hero. So why should we as a community?

I’ve seen a lot of good ideas put forth, and simply ignored. Not even a simple acknowledgement by Blizzard. I guess I just want people to find their own way of having fun, without having to rely on the developers. Like I used to hold so much resentment, and then I just learned to let it go once I found other ways of having fun.

And I have stated many have. But they can still voice their displeasure about how a hero is. Again especially if it is the hero that got them to play OW in the first place.

To some this IS a way to get out those frustrations despite the lack of communication.

It also shows people have some inkling of hope that this game can get better and same with their heroes.

Alright. To each their own. Best of luck to all those still seeking change, and hopefully one day Blizzard actually listens :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Or critical care…