Could we get a developer opinion on the state of Symmetra?

Did you actually ask for a buff cuz I didn’t read the post, I just commented

I feel like as long as part of her tool-kit revolves around the turrets, she’s always going to be underwhelming or in a constant state of “being adjusted”.

I just made a post with a few ideas myself (I haven’t looked at patch notes). These ideas include 1) Making turret placement instant, or 2) allowing turrets to do damage while traveling since they can also be destroyed before reaching their destination, or 3) increase range that turrets can shoot at targets, or 4) simply increase their deployment speed.

Any variation of those things would help, I feel.

And maybe change the ultimate ability again? I’m not sure how I feel about it as is. I like it, I guess?

honestly, this is kind of a lie
that one turret can get really scary at 50/s, if you don’t turn around to hit it immediately you’ve already lost like half your health as a squishy, and that’s while the rest of the game is still going on, that’s the whole point of having turrets; they’re minor inconveniences, but they can wreak havoc if left unchecked, and that’s honestly perfectly fine for that as a concept, it’s just she lacks… “muchness” elsewhere for reliability, so it makes this “easy to deal with” problem seem even less of an actual strategy

this is implying a nest theme which is what they were trying to steer away from by making her have 3 stronger turrets instead of 6 weak ones and allow her to use them mid-combat

sure, it’s not perfect, because it still has issues, but it’s definitely gotten much better

this is what i’ll agree on

the 30s cooldown for all 3 is too harsh

other heroes can try to burst an enemy down with all their cooldowns as a “high risk high reward” all in strategy

…yet… symmetra not only has a “mediocre reward”, considering just how easy it is to counter, as opposed to any other type of “all in all cooldowns” from some other hero, but then her cooldown for it is also MUCH longer than anyone else in the entire game, which is honestly a bit of a problem, because it also makes the “high risk” part even “higher”, especially considering unlike another hero in her range of effectiveness, she only has 200hp, and no passives, so she has absolutely nothing to compliment the long cooldowns and squishyness for her positioning, this leaves her option to “zone control” using orbs that basically feed healer ult most of the time since, while they’re good on their own, still can’t be relied on for much in particular

i have to agree, she really is almost there… she just… still needs… something, doe

i disagree heavily here
it’s true that it’s strange that she’s a dps that can’t offer reliable damage nor a damaging ultimate, unlike something like, say, widow, who does have reliable damage but also a non-damaging ultimate, but her ultimate is definitely incredibly powerful as it is, so that’s not where she needs anything, honestly

3 Likes

I’m waiting for symm 4.0 where they combine 2.0 and 3.0

1 Like

Just in case anyone wants the quote.

2 Likes

Not even the devs know what they’re doing with symmetra

3 Likes

_>

Not sure if your quoting yourself or OW dev…

Edit: wtf happened 0_o I’m on phone and tried to quote you and I created some sort of sort of Frankenstein monster comment

I’m reading that if they’re not careful the teleport might become useful… and nobody wants that.

2 Likes

You play her then and see how underwhelming and easy to kill she is.

2 Likes

Maybe Devs don’t have an opinion of them, maybe they are supposed to stay biased, I am sure they play the game right?

In some cases you right and she is incredibly easy to counter, in other she just dominate the match.
She is designed to be good at some spot and worse on other.

Just buff her all the way around like they did with Ana to the point she will be good at every point and map will make her oppressive, she doesn’t have those high risk - high reward abilities, or less of them at least.

I wish she had 1 build able shield like Orisa, (only smaller)
It can really make many of her problems solved.
She can put a turret behind it to make a hard to get near point.
She can put use it as survival tool so she can charge her weapon.
She can put it on TP and send it first maybe.

They should remove the Ult and make it a skill like this. If we are out of buttons just add left right click+ shift or number keys

The ultimate is literally the best part of her kit.

I mean, she’s been bottom three out of the entire roster for like her entire existence and toxicity is rampant when even mentioning symmetras name.

2 Likes

It’s more of “we need to be careful as to not make it able break the game”

Honestly, they could probably revert the most recent buff if they gave her a sustain ability similar to Mei’s Cryo Freeze. Mei is seeing more use than Symm, while being objectively similar because Mei has sustain and a fairly reliable area denial/escape tool, while Symmetra has neither. If they gave her a passive like Reaper’s life steal where the amount of damage her primary does restores her shields (not her actual health), I think she would be in a much healthier spot because she could more reliably attack targets in her face.

Even Torb has an “oh sh— I’m being attacked” button. Why doesn’t Symm have anything??

2 Likes

Buffs that would help her either some or all

Symmetra

• additional 25-50 shield health

Primary fire

• refills shield health as well as ammo count when attacking barriers (20 health per second seems reasonable)
  • range increased to 15 meters from 12 meters to at least match Zarya’s range
  • Primary fire decay time per charge level increased to 3 seconds from 2 seconds

Teleporter

• range increased to 40 meters from 25 meters
  • duration increased from 10 seconds to 14 seconds
  • interaction radius increased (don’t know the current radius but it needs like an extra 0.5-1 meters)
  • deployment time reduced to 1.5 seconds the current build time is either 2.5 or 2.8 seconds according to the wiki sites (part of it being the cast animation and the second part being the teleporter being built)

Sentry Turrets

• Increase count to 4 from 3
  • reduce cool down to 7 seconds from 10 seconds

In my opinion she could use most of these.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m waiting on 4.0 where we get the 2.0 beam, teleporter, 4 throwable turrets, a fully working teleporter ability, a shield generator and photon barrier wall which is unbreakable until the shield generator is found.

i seriously have no idea why they went that direction TWICE
her beam was never the problem and it shouldn’t have even been “buffed” the first time

it was the fact that she dies to everything

she really just needs to not die by being sneezed on and she wouldn’t be that bad, agreed, that’s what i’ve been saying constantly

she really doesn’t need an active button to press, just some sort of passive, or +50 shields at the bare minimum to give her some kind of “staying in combat” capability

having half your health as shields is great because of how you can regenerate health… but… it doesn’t work in combat… which is the problem; if the beam is supposed to be maintained to reach charge 3, why does she have so many out of combat mechanics (turrets, teleporter, shield)

1 Like