Bastion's real damage output (kinda)

I wanted to know how much damage Bastion did at different ranges, and also wanted to debunk the “Bastion does 450 DPS, he’s fine” arguments with math, so I decided to test it out at different ranges. Here’s the results, and some explanation of the tests below. 0m is meant to be a control so you have something to compare against.

These tests were done on the PTR when the falloff changes (which bumped the minimum damage from 30% to 50%) were still only on that server. I suspect that the damage difference would be insignificant because of the very poor accuracy at 35m and greater, but these are still up to date anyway.

Training dummy stats

Distance Tests RTK Std Dev TTK DPS DPR % Miss Spread
0m 0 13.3 0 0.44 450 15 0% 0'0"
20m 50 20.7 1.71 0.69 290.42 9.68 35.5% 3'5"
25m 50 26.5 2.98 0.88 226.76 7.56 49.6% 4'3"
30m 50 30.6 4.16 1.02 195.69 6.52 56.5% 5'2"
35m 50 43.5 9.19 1.45 137.87 4.60 69.4% 6'0"
40m 50 50.6 9.13 1.69 118.48 3.95 73.7% 6'10"
45m 50 65.2 9.64 2.17 92.02 3.07 79.6% 7'9"
50m 50 78.9 12.28 2.63 76.06 2.54 83.1% 8'7"

RTK: Rounds to kill (measured in bullets)
TTK: Time to kill (measured in seconds)
DPS: Damage per second (measured in damage / 1 second)
DPR: Damage per round equivalent (total damage / rounds fired)
% Miss: Percentage of bullets that missed (lower is better)
Spread: Diameter of the circle at the given distance (measured in feet)

I did these tests on the practice range on a training bot. Please note that the training bots have rather massive hitboxes, much larger than most non-tank heroes in the game, a similar size to many tanks in the game. These values are not a representation of his actual damage output at these ranges, on smaller targets, these damage numbers will be much much lower (probably more less than half of the listed damage).

To perform the tests, I sat at different ranges, shot the training bot in Sentry mode, and recorded the remaining ammo right after he died. This allows for human error, but it shouldn’t affect the results too much, as there were not many extreme outliers. I performed each test 50 times to get a decent sample size. I then ran the numbers through a program which told me the Rounds to kill (RTK), the Time to kill (TTK), and the Damage per second (DPS). The Std Dev tab tells the standard deviation between each test at a given distance. This should help quantify the amount of randomness that Bastion’s spread has. The higher the standard deviation, the more difference between each test. For example, one test may have used 30 rounds to kill the bot while another test at the same distance used 40 rounds. The damage per round is showing how much damage each round would have to do to accomplish the same time to kill if every bullet hit. Note, that Bastion actually does 15 damage per round.

Hero Heights for reference

Hero Height
Bastion 7'1"
Doomfist 7'1"
Hanzo 5'8"
Junkrat 6'5"
Lucio 5'3"
McCree 6'1"
Mercy 5'7"
Pharah 5'11"
Reaper 6'1"
Reinhardt 7'4"
Roadhog 7'3"
Soldier: 76 6'1"
Symmetra 5'7"
Torbjorn 4'7"
Tracer 5'4"
Widowmaker 5'9"
Winston 7'3"
Zarya 6'5"
Zenyatta 5'8"
Training Bot 5'3"

Please note, that these are only the heroes heights, width must also be taken into account when trying to figure out their relation to the Training Bot. Also note, that the Training Bot’s height is estimated, as I couldn’t find it recorded anywhere…

As you can see, Bastion doesn’t do anywhere near 450 DPS, even at 20 meters away from the target. And this only gets worse when shooting smaller targets.

28 Likes

These are good numbers tho. o-o

Me, trying to figure any of this out on my own:

And Failing.

10 Likes

This is where a CS major and a Math minor comes in real handy…

Also, good numbers? I hope I’m misinterpreting that, you don’t mean that his DPS and such are good, right?

1 Like

No… By “Good Numbers” I mean i can finally begin to understand some of it… :smile_cat:

Math is NOT My best subject…

Bastion’s DPS Still sucks… I can just understand How Now. Lol

4 Likes

just seing the drop between 0m and 20m, im like “just why…?”

that dmg drop is too much, engagment does not really do under 20m…just wtf

2 Likes

Bumping because OMG amazing work.

1 Like

Basically it all boils down to Bastion not having headshots.
Even if a quarter of the total bullets fired crit, he would be doing roughly full damage…

They basically shouldn’t have touched Sentry in the first place… I mean, if anything… and at MOST, a Slight Spread change… then they should have left it alone.

4 Likes

Bumping this thread because it deserves more attention.

5 Likes

BUMPING AGAIN.

Need to show this to some people elsewhere who have stupid ideas about how lethal Bastion really is.

3 Likes

“Bastion’s fine, he deletes things like… Instantly. Btw, I haven’t played the hero before, but i know better than you do.”

-.-
Gets real old after a while.

7 Likes

bump cuz just lost a game as bastion

1 Like

This will need to be recalculated due to the falloff changes

These are with the falloff changes. I did these tests on PTR on the patch that added those.

2 Likes

Came back from the dead to bump.

2 Likes

Some should read it more than twice and remember this data.

Job well done.

2 Likes

People wonder why he’s good in Bronze and silver…

1 Like

Needs to be redone now. Results are vastly differently with the falloff changes.

This was done with the falloff changes while they were on PTR.

2 Likes

Yep, like DrClan stated, these were taken with the falloff changes. I never even tested it on live because there wasn’t much point as the falloff changes would skew the results…

Though I suspect that they wouldn’t do much, because you’re already missing so many shots at those ranges anyway…

2 Likes