Bastion thread: The recent hitscan changes are good but

I mean…I see bastion as having really only 1 method. Either shoot in recon or shoot in sentry. Outside of these, bastion really doesn’t have a lot of options or choices.

He really needs better accuracy, even if it means lowering his damage. It’s extremely frustrating not being able to hit your targets simply because you have a spread the size of a shotgun on a stationary turret…

I refer you to the post I made earlier with the Sentry revert and Sentry nerf. He needs to be more consistent, even if they want to roughly keep his current damage values (though that would be near impossible, because he does a LOT less damage at range, so they’d have to just pick a good damage value for him).

You’re not wrong about the Tank mode transforms though, that should probably also be addressed… His ult is extremely annoying to use because of the 5 minute transform times…

He seems inherently designed that way to me, and that’s not specifically bad. All he has to be is a hero that works in specific situations and forces the enemy to adapt to you. As soon as they do, the Bastion player should swap off, just like any hero that starts getting countered.

I think the spread is mandatory to keep him in check as primarily a shield/tank buster :man_shrugging: I certainly don’t want to see an Overwatch where Bastion is effective at every range in both sentry and recon xD

So… as soon as the enemy actually attack me?

Got it. -.-
Flawless logic.

I payed 60$ For that Overwatch.
And would gladly pay that again, if only i could play it for one last time.
I actually had fun back then…

Spread isn’t the way to keep him in check though. All that does it make him infuriating to play because you should have had that kill, but because of the spread, you weren’t even close. And then other times, you get lucky, and you do get the kill… RNG should not be an inherent part of his kit. I’m fine with either reducing his base damage or reducing his range, I just want better spread so that skill is actually rewarded, and he isn’t literally forced to be a spray and pray character. Reducing the spread makes no difference against shields, because you’re going to be hitting basically all of your shots anyway… He’s not really a tank buster, because he can’t kill the tanks before they kill him. The only tanks he actually counter are Winston and Hammond, all of the rest either counter him, or it’s a neutral fight.

If you’d like more information on how bad his spread really is, you can check out this thread. He does about the same damage as a Soldier with 25% headshot accuracy at 25 meters, and he’s basically useless at any distance beyond that. If he could move, that would be fine, but since he’s stationary, he has absolutely no way to close the gap between himself and the enemy besides trying a 1 second transform 3 inches from their face. It’s a really really bad game design to have him so insanely inaccurate. It works on flankers (he has about the same spread as Sombra and Tracer, slightly larger than Sombra, and a fair bit smaller than Tracer) because they can easily get close to the enemy. Bastion doesn’t have that luxury.

I’d also like to throw in that Sentry used to be viable at longer ranges, and it wasn’t broken… He wasn’t viable at long range, but he was at medium range, which is supposed to be his intended range anyway.

I mean, if you are playing alone without any team strategy, yeah, you should probably get destroyed. xD

So… If i solo queue, and play to the best of my ability, i should stand no chance anyways?

Got it.
Duly noted.

What? lol, you aren’t playing to the best of your ability if you are picking Bastion with no team synergy. It’s a team game, after all. It’s not as if Overwatch is a terrible game if you can’t effectively play Bastion 100% of the time.

Yet i can load in as Tracer or Soldier and literally carry games with Zero coms, and Zero care for anyone else.

When playing as an accepted hero, you don’t have to care about “Team synergy” They just Are Strong in the places where they are strong… and any good player can tell you, that if a hero needs OWL Levels of team management just to be Nearly Viable… Something is very wrong.

Well, not as tracer or soldier, maybe hanzo/widow/zen, but i understand your point. If you take care to observe PTR patch notes Blizzard is making it very clear they are flattening out the power levels of heroes. The ideal Overwatch is a game where one tricking is going to be bad for your SR no matter who you play.

I… Didn’t say anything about “Onetricking”

I said, solo Queue in.
As in, i don’t have a six stack of friends, who just so happen to all have coms…

In that sense, Every hero should be Somewhat Viable, when played solo by a skilled player, And yet, your argument was
“Without the most team effort, you just shouldn’t stand a chance”

Which i am forced to disagree with, wholeheartedly.

I enjoy using Bastion as a situational hero. The last thing I wasnt is for him to be S or A tier…that would make the game stale.

good! dumpster (which is what imma start calling him) is literally the most annoying character to fight in the game BY FAR. i’d rather hanzo be given 1,000 buffs in his current state and 1v1 him for the rest of my life than go against a dumpster.

dumpster mains need to realize that if he’s ever made viable, the playerbase would riot. there’s no way of making him strong without making him insanely OP because of his horrible, obnoxious kit design.

We’re not really asking for him to be meta, we’re asking for him to be useful at his job (and also to have a job that isn’t “designated barrier killer, and nothing else”). The only way that he would become meta is if he got a pretty large rework, or he became OP. We definitely don’t want the second one, that was awful the first time, and it would be awful the second time.

How to make Bastion good, but not OP:

Start with this

Sentry Revert
  • Configuration Sentry
    • Reduce maximum spread to 2° (Currently 3°)
    • Bloom added to weapon
      • Initial accuracy of 1.25°, bloom starts after 0.3 seconds of continuous fire
      • Reaches 2° after 0.3 seconds of additional continuous fire
    • Headshots added
    • Ammo count reduced to 200 (Currently 300)
  • Ironclad
    • Passive damage resist removed
    • Only applies during self-repair
    • Damage resistance increased to 25%
  • Self-repair
    • No longer consumes resources when it cannot heal Bastion
    • Starts healing instantly instead of having an 0.5 second delay
    • Able to reload while repairing
    • Applies Ironclad for duration of repair
  • Configuration Tank
    • No self damage
    • Tread sounds reduced slightly
    • Adds 150 armor

If Blizz thinks he’s killing people too fast, and/or they want to raise his skill floor/ceiling, then replace the Sentry mode section with this

Slight Sentry nerf
  • Configuration Sentry
    • Damage reduced to 12
    • Headshots added
    • Bloom added to weapon
      • Initial accuracy of 1.25°, bloom starts after 0.3 seconds of continuous fire
      • Reaches a maximum of 2° after 0.3 seconds of additional continuous fire
    • Ammo reduced to 250
    • Deals 25% bonus damage to barriers

Boom, non-OP Bastion. If they went with the nerfed Sentry mode, his DPS will be lower in lower ranks where good headshot accuracy is less common, and he’ll do better in higher ranks where good headshot accuracy is more common. His barrier damage will remain unchanged, because it doesn’t make much sense to nerf that. Basically what they tried to do with the spread nerf, only it doesn’t feel awful to use because you miss 60% of your shots even with perfect accuracy.

If you want a full rework, then do this (It’s a Tank on E thread). The Sentry nerf thing also works there too, but I still think it’s better to start off slightly strong, and then make slight nerfs (assuming they do said nerfs on the PTR, and not in the following months…)

What do you mean we? I’m not asking that…

And if it’s just “Bastion mains” then I think you misunderstand what balancing is, but I doubt you are.

We want him to at least be out of F tier and be more viable then he currently is.

The rule of ranking things is that something has to be last…who do you want to be last?

We as in Bastion mains (mostly, I can’t speak for literally all of them obviously). Balance is making him good at his job, not making him viable against everything.

I don’t care if he’s still f-tier as long as he can do his job properly. If that’s the case, then people aren’t picking him because of his playstyle, not because he’s underpowered.

It’s fine if he’s last. It’s not fine if he’s last because he sucks.

2 Likes