A few ideas for a Bastion rework

What are the issues with bastion that make him the least picked hero, and the last hero in the hero pool that is still considered a “troll” pick? In my opinion, the problems are numerous and so I’ll attempt to summarise them here:

1. High threat
Bastion’s high dps makes him a huge threat and that makes him the #1 priority target for the enemy team. Unless his team protect him and pour resources into setting up barrier’s and healing him, he will be isolated and focused down very quickly.

2. Low Mobility
Combined with the above, bastion’s design means he is by nature very immobile. His transformation reduces his mobility, and even the animation itself stops you in your tracks (unless you are airborn). When Bastion is in Sentry mode he is a sitting duck. With so many high burst damage heroes like junkrat and hanzo, and especially now with Torbjorns new rework, this problem is exacerbated even further. Despite having armor, he is in effect, a glass cannon.

3. Applicability
Bastion is good on a few select maps, and dominates those maps unless the enemy team are coordinated and know how to counter the “pirate-ship” style of play. Beyond this limited application however, Bastion is picked very infrequently, because it is easier to get the value out of other heroes. Most heroes are applicable across multiple different game-modes using different strategies and comps. Bastion is really limited to payload maps, with long lines of sight, in a specific composition. He is too niche.

4. Role
Bastion lacks a coherent design that fits into the modern landscape of overwatch. In the past, his design may have made more sense - but now that he is under the microscope for a rework, I think it makes sense to re-evaluate what his design could bring to other roles.

So how do we answer these problems?

1. Damage
Reducing Bastion’s damage output sounds crazy, as that is his defining feature, but I think in smoothing out the peaks of his design this is the inevitable conclusion we must come to if we are to make alterations to the rest of his kit that improve his design in other areas.

2. Mobility
Bastion needs to become more mobile - as it stands he is simply too sedentary to stand a chance in a fast-paced FPS hybrid like Overwatch. He needs to be moving and assessing threats and reacting - not camping and waiting for them to come and destroy him.

3. Fluidity
Bastion needs to be able to react quickly and fluidly as the match evolves. Torbjorn and Symmetra’s reworks both accentuate how important uptime is for ex-defense heroes, and I think similar ideas should be applied to any future Bastion rework. He needs to be able to shift his focus and adapt to emergent situations with greater ease to increase his applicability in a wide variety of scenarios.

4. Role
Bastions role as it stands is as a Barrier Buster hero - but with a hero like Sombra that can delete all barriers in an AoE with the push of a button, or hack a tank and prevent them from ever putting a barrier up; he has no hope to compete. So what could he do instead? I think by augmenting the offensive capabilities of his team somehow, bastion would better fall in line as a primary dps character in comps like deathball and GOATS that thrive on close-knit team groupings.

So, what can we change?

What follows are some ideas for a bastion rework, taking the above into account.

Ironclad

Passive Ability
Reduces damage taken by -25% while in Tank & Juggernaut mode.

Mobile

Passive Ability
Increases movement speed by +50% whilst in Recon and Juggernaut mode.

Configuration: Tank

In Tank mode, Bastion extends wheeled treads and a Gatling gun capable of unleashing a hail of bullets. This mode would resemble a combination of two of his current transformations, Sentry and Tank, taking the best parts of both and combining them. Bastion’s base damage per bullet would need to be significantly reduced in this mode from the amount they deal in Sentry mode now.

Frenzy

Ability
When Bastion uses this ability, nearby allies gain an increased fire speed and reload speed for a short time. This would be on a fairly long cooldown, similar to Torbjorn’s Overload ability.

Self-Repair

Secondary-Fire
Bastion restores his own health - while in recon mode you can do this in tandem with using your primary fire - this ability is disabled whilst in Tank mode.

Reconfigure

Ability
Bastion transforms between its two primary combat modes to adapt to battlefield conditions. Bastion can now continue to move when transforming, but his Passive Ability will not switch until he has entered the new transformation fully.

Juggernaut

Ultimate Ability
When you use Juggernaut, Bastion immediately gains 250 temporary armor and gains the effects of both his Passive Abilities for the duration of the ultimate (8 seconds). In addition, bastion’s damage increases (taking into account his nerfed base damage this would mean his ultimate damage after the rework would be similar to his base damage now) and he gains infinite ammo for the duration of the ultimate.

I really don’t like the idea of not being to able to heal while in tank mode , i love playing bastion because of his Sentry mode and tank mode , i don’t believe combining them would make him feel the same anymore and would change his playstyle too much for him to be still bastion, Hes not bastion anymore if he doesn’t have sentry and tank mode… By combining sentry and the tank mode you also block bastions potential to rocket jump which is crucial when hes got his ultimate, the correct fix here would be to make sentry an Real area denial ability and give him an ability to Evade/Escape easily
While the idea of a speed increase would make him a lot more better while in recon and flanking if you combine tank and sentry youll bassicaly destroy one kind of playstyle by reducing its damage while its already cutoff by the immense spread

This thread kinda misses Bastion’s main problems and targets things that aren’t problems…

Bastion’s damage isn’t there problem, in fact, he has a rather low damage output at range (source). When you have a forced 50% accuracy at just 25 meters, something is wrong… I’m fine with them reduncing his damage slightly from what it was before his rework, but not in the way they did. Spread shouldn’t be a way to nerf damage, as it just makes him far too unreliable.

Bastion’s immobility also isn’t the problem, this is also a misconception. The issue with his immobility is the fact that the player is encouraged to stay in Sentry mode for too long. With his previously mentioned spread, he takes too long to get a kill, which means he needs to stay in Sentry longer than he should. Ironclad also discourages Recon mode by only giving Bastion damage resistance in Sentry mode. This encourages the player to stay in Sentry instead of swapping to Recon because you lose the damage resistance, which just causes you to die faster.

What Bastion really needs is consistent damage and for Ironclad to either be removed, or to affect all modes. Passive damage resistance should also be removed, as it’s far too hard to balance around. If they want to keep Ironclad, either give Bastion damage resistance while healing, or allow him to overheal himself with armor similar to Torb’s old armor.

This would also fix the fluidity issue. Before his rework, Bastion was much more fluid. He would go into Sentry, get a kill or two, then go to Recon to relocate and/or run away. This is how Bastion should play, but discouraging Sentry is the wrong way to go about it. Instead, they should encourage Recon more.