Does bastion really need crit damage back?

I know you don’t have much time on him… But if you would like to hear my opinion as a Bastion main…

He doesn’t need any escape tools.
He’s supposed to be able to put out HUGE Amounts of damage, when in Direct LoS But, with his current lack of punishing damage when and where he needs it, People have learned to walk all over you.

He was originally meant as “area denial” But now, If you walk directly out in front of him, his aim doesn’t matter much, and he cannot headshot… Meaning that even a skilled player cannot defend themselves from a Direct attack.

That’s Bastion’s problem… Lacking the ability to “Out skill” And “Out play” His enemies.

3 Likes

Oh, and here’s the thing about Ironclad…

It only promotes pocketing.
The exact same effect could be (and was) achieved by adding literal Armor to his health. (Specifically and especially in Tank mode)

Most Bastion mains have concluded that we would love to see it go.

That, and his problem was never “Lack of protection” Which is why it still puzzles me that they added this passive…

It became lack of self defensive ability, after they reworked him…
He literally became More Dependent on his team, not less.
(as they claimed they intended.)

1 Like

Exactly. Bastion is a tank buster and excels in that role like none other. Not to mention that if you have even half-decent tracking capability, he can still shred squishies, even at a distance.

The problem is people want (and I can fully understand this) their hero to be playable in most team comps and situations, but that’s not how this game is meant to be played.

Bastion is supposed to be this niche, tank busting hero (as he is now), just like Mercy is supposed to be a consistent, mobile, single-target, team-dependent healer (which, due to Valkyrie, she isn’t, but that’s a different discussion)

5 Likes

Yes of course I always like to hear the ideas of the ones who main certain heroes. I know what you mean. I guess that’s true now that you mentioned I also notice it.

1 Like

No he doesn’t… Reaper and Hanzo have a higher DPS with 560.

Hanzo can get this with 4 headshots in storm arrows.
Reaper can get this with 2 headshots with his primary fire.

They haven’t tried an in-between… Before his rework, repair and Recon were weak, after his rework, Sentry was left weak… They’ve only tried balancing him once, it’s impossible to say if there’s a middle ground or not…

I’d be fine with that too if “small” was about 33 - 42% reduction… 33% puts him at 2°, which is what his maximum was before the rework. 45% puts him at about 1.75°, but since he no longer has bloom (meaning he doesn’t start off with a smaller accuracy), that should be fine…

Niche is fine, unplayable isn’t… His damage is far too inconsistent for his playstyle. That’s why the spread reduction is the most important thing.

3 Likes

Not really… He can break barriers pretty quick, but he sucks at taking down tanks and especially squishies…

Bastion's real damage output (kinda) Here’s a thread talking about his damage output… Since it was tested using a Training Bot, and they’re bigger than basically all squishies, and slightly smaller than most tanks, you can take it as a best case scenario vs squishy targets, and a “slightly less than average” case scenario for tanks…

2 Likes

I still firmly believe the only thing Bastion needs is faster transformation into and out of his tank form. 1.5 seconds is a long time to be vulnerable instead of pumping out the highest DPS in the game. It would also be nice if he could end his ultimate form by transforming into Sentry form if he chooses to, cutting out the extra time you have to spend in Recon mode.

Not the highest…

Ok, highest not ultimate

Nope… Reaper and Hanzo have higher DPS…

Bastion has 450 dps and can potentially sustain it for 10 seconds.

Reaper can do 280 dps and (with wraith form) can sustain it for 8~ seconds

Hanzo does about 420~ dps with storm arrows, and those have a 10 second cooldown

2 Likes

Reaper can shoot 2 shots per second, which deals 280. These can headshot, doubling the damage to 560.

Hanzo can shoot 4 arrows per second with Storm Arrows dealing 280. These can headshot, doubling the damage to 560.

Bastion doesn’t need more damage. He needs to function without getting pocketed by half his team, or getting shut down hard every time his nest is compromised.

1 Like

Yeah, but headshots (especially with reaper) are inconsistent. Not to mention they can’t sustain that much damage for as long of periods of time as Bastion. They definitely have higher bust damage, though, i’m not arguing that.

1 Like

Bastion’s damage is extremely inconsistent… If you’re not considering a best case scenario, then Bastion has anywhere from about 75 DPS at a little under his maximum range, to about 300 DPS when he’s 20 meters away from his target. And if he’s only 20 meters away, he’s probably dead already anyway… His spread is what’s killing him…

2 Likes

Bastion should be reserved for situations with short sight lines vs tanks and barriers, that is his niche. The spread is completely fair. If things aren’t dying to me then i know i’m not in a good position.

His spread is just as close to Torb’s shotgun as it is to his own Recon mode…

So… Split second situations?

Tell me… Please… .How you intend to swap heroes while on the battle field?

1 Like

If i’m still on the battlefield then the strategy hasn’t failed yet.

So… Either Bastion needs to only work in ONE Situation, that only happens a few times in game… Or not at all.

duly noted.
Please, try again… You can’t say he does the BEST Damage out of all the heroes, But then claim that another hero’s “Best damage” Is far too unlikely because of Spread not hitting the target point blank… When that’s the exactly what you would need achieve those numbers with Bastion.

1 Like