How would you fix Bastion

but by also tightening it by 20% which would be fine IMO it does remove rng completely but it removes say: 90%. I was a reaper main on my first account and I remember shooting someone and it did minimal damage. I didn’t move and I shot again, dealing a bunch of damage. Reaper does not have a fixed spread and RNG plays a role in killing. By putting a fixed spread on Bastion it would take a bit more skill by memorizing the spread pattern (even just a little bit) it will help. Also Bastion has such a high DPS, making him into a medium-long range would not be fun to play against.

I think a faster transformation would go a long way. Maybe not quite as fast as Wrecking Ball’s, but something close.

Besides that, I hate to suggest buffs in the form of changing a hero’s kit generally, but maybe a compromise between his current sentry spread and old sentry spread could be a new ability. When activated, it basically acts like his old turret form for 2-3 seconds, with reduced spread and maybe headshots if it’s not too broken. 8-10 second cooldown would probably be a good place to start with balancing. It would keep his primary purpose being tank/barrier busting like Blizzard wants, but allow it to be more likely to secure kills once that barrier is busted.

Bastion is fine, just get good at your positioning.

You can hide behind a shield, and then he can’t kill you. If you’re standing out in the open in front of a Bastion (or anyone for that matter), you’re gonna die…

No one else in the game has a fixed spread pattern. Perhaps they all should, but that’s another topic… Bastion can’t move to close the distance between himself and the enemy, so he needs a pretty good spread to be able to hit anything. Reaper can become immortal for a few seconds to close the distance between himself and the enemy, his spread is more or less justified. Same with Tracer and Sombra. They’re meant to be used super close range, their spread is fine. Bastion is meant to be used at medium (hence his 35-55 meter falloff distance), but he can’t do that because of his spread.

All they need to do is make him less dependent on the team. It’s the need for a babysitter that makes him a hindrenece. If a turreted bastion is one half of your DPS, then enemy flankers can pretty much run wild.

And where do you propose I position myself? Because if you’re close enough to actually do damage with Bastion, then the enemy has already killed you, and if you’re far enough from the enemy to be safe, then you’re going to be doing less damage than Winston.

There’s a rework idea that does something along those lines… It lets Bastion use the “blue mode” and “red mode” from The Last Bastion. Red mode is what we have now, high damage per bullet, but large spread. Blue mode is less damage per bullet (maybe 12 or so), but less spread and headshots. Red mode is for breaking barriers, blue mode is for killing enemies. There’s no cooldown or anything on it though, it’s more like Lucio’s Crossfade.

1 Like

Here’s a link for anyone who hasn’t seen it going into detail about Bastion’s effective DPS at different ranges. These tests were done using a traning bot, so the numbers will be a little higher than they would for any squishy hero in the game.

[Bastion's real damage output (kinda)]

I’d like to point out that at the very start of Bastion’s falloff range (35 meters), he’s doing pretty much the same damage as a Hammond at that same distance (with headshots)… At 50 meters (granted, that’s fairly unrealistic in an actual game), he’s doing about the same DPS as Winston. Once you factor in the fact that the enemy will be moving, and they’re much smaller than a training bot, he starts to do that level of damage much closer unless the Bastion has flawless tracking, at which point he’ll be banned for aimbotting anyway.

1 Like

Bastion is not a hero that works everytime and shouldn’t either, one buff can make him very frustrating to play against. With a good team Bastion is a nightmare and not even Junkrat and Hanzo may work against him.
All I am saying is YOU need to pick another hero or work with your position with Bastion. You got recon for long range and for mobility, use it.

I’m not asking for him to be useful in every scenario. I don’t like him on KotH, he’s not very useful there… I’m asking for him to be useful on more than a single map. Right now, people will tell me that he’s super strong on Junkertown, so he’s fine and he’s just situational. One map isn’t “fine”, especially when he isn’t even all that good on that one map. The moment you’re pulled off the cart, you’re done…

Bastion isn’t a nightmare with a good team, Bastion is a nightmare if your team is really bad. And if that’s the case, you’d get rolled no matter what, it’s not the Bastion… Basically the entire cast counters Bastion, it’s not hard. Don’t stand in the open, use cover, don’t be an idiot with shield use… Use spam heroes for the Bastion’s shield (assuming he has one).

If I were meant to use Recon for everything, then why would I not just always pick Soldier? Soldier is a much better version of Recon mode. Better spread control, better DPS, better burst damage, smaller hitbox, smaller critbox, faster, more mobility options… Bastion is meant to be used for Sentry mode, and as such, Sentry mode should be at least half decent…

Also, you didn’t say how to better position myself, you just restated that I should. There are no good positions with Bastion. Again, if you’re close enough to deal meaningful damage, you’re already dead because the enemy team swarmed you, and if you’re far enough away for the enemy team to not swarm you, you’re doing basically no damage.

You can’t balance a hero by telling people to pick another one, that’s not how this works…

Not every hero needs to get buffed, you got plently of heroes that shows how bad buffs/reworks can destroy or make a hero stronger than it was intended.
Bastion shreds shields and I suggest we don’t buff his gun in any way. The most common arguement from Bastion mains are “he has low pickrate” which I can say NOT EVERY HERO NEEDS TO BE PICKED A LOT.

And if you really wanted to make a new meta then don’t suggest any buffs to Bastion to begin with.

That’s Bastion’s old spread at 2 degrees maximum.

He didn’t do too much damage before why would he now?

That’s how tankmode used to work. from the time of pushing Q to it ending you had a boost of 150 armor. It vanishes at the end.

Try maining him, he’s least picked not because people don’t want to play him it’s because the people who do want to play him can’t due to stuff like super hard counters or simply teamates not letting you play him or they throw.

I don’t think his recon mode should be touched but increase his strengths that is turret mode.

• make his entire healthbar armor except for last 10.
  • tighten his spread alittle
  • give a rechargeable shield to absorb initial high burst damage.

Id start by allowing bastions to be capable of repairing during his transformation animation.

I’m very leery to advocate returning headshots or reducing his spread. The damage he can shell out from range is really nothing to scoff at. Reducing his spread would really ramp up the lethality ranges, which I don’t believe he needs currently- and giving him headshots again would bring back a discrepancy between average and high level bastions that I feel would be difficult to balance for. Doubling an already considerable number can definitely be scary- and would cause a huge disparity.

Personally I feel one of bastions bigger problems is his inability to escape situations I feel he should be able to.

He can see fecal is hitting the fan. Go hmm I should move- and before he can finish the thought and transform- he’s dead.

Letting him heal during the transformation would give him a degree of sustain he doesn’t have now- without giving him something as nefarious as simply packing on more armor, shield, or some kind of other defensive ability.

Doing this would mean he could be focused, but forced to retreat- instead of simply letting him Lolol through it and keep doing what he’s doing. And I feel pressuring him should be a big part of how to respond to bastion.

Also- of shorten his ult transformation time, and remove or reduce the self damage from the shells.

I never said every hero needs to be buffed. I said Bastion does.

Yes, most reworks have failed (Bastion’s included), but that doesn’t mean that they should leave such a bad hero so bad for so long.

You understand how useless of a job “designated shield breaker” is, right? Why would you ever pick Bastion when you could just pick Hanzo instead and actually get kills once the barrier is down? Am I supposed to walk back to spawn and swap one the barriers are down so that I can actually be useful to the team?

I didn’t say anything about pickrate, you’re providing your own arguments so that you can counter them and look like you know what you’re talking about… I said that he can’t do his job properly, and he feels awful to play because of his extremely RNG dependent gun.

I also didn’t say anything about a new meta, what are you on about? And how are Bastion buffs and a new meta connected anyway?

1 Like

Reduce his spread, make almost all of his health armor and give him a mini shield

Alright, fine buff Bastion then, but don’t be surprised when NO ONE wants to play TANK. I bet you’re gonna complain about that too.

Lower the spread on sentry, some tweaks to ironclad, more armor in sentry or tank (not both), faster projectile speed on tank mode,…

Idk that are some ideas I would try and see how they would work.

Buffing him wouldn’t make him a must pick against tanks. One of the main reasons his pickrate is so low is because people don’t like his playstyle, which is fine. Tanks won’t instantly be unplayable just because Bastion got a little better.

Also, Bastion’s job is (supposed to be) anti-tank, so he should be scary to tanks…