Will Bastion Ever Get a Change?

He has been bad for about one and a half years and nothing has been done about it at all. The most annoying thing about all this is that I’m annoyed other heroes are getting changes. I kind of feel horrible about that but after Sombra got her hack rework she was addressed in a few months. After that rework she had one too many downsides and some of them were removed very shortly after. I don’t know if it was enough but the speed of the response is astounding.

Bastion got his rework over a year ago and there were all sorts of problems and outcries. Mostly about ironclad and his damage being screwed up, but instead of just reverting the ironclad rework part (sentry changes) or doing just about anything else that would have helped they just nerfed it within the week with nothing to make up for it in spread or anything else. He started out powerful, then got dunked on by a massive nerf so ironclad hardly helps against anything but pulse bomb while also removing a minimum of 2x his damage with the removal of headshots and way more once his bullets start missing and tankmode is weaker not to mention ironclad only activates after a transformation, not before like tankmodes armor. Ironclad sucks and his damage and range got wrecked at the same time with nothing good to show for it. Now it takes longer to deal less damage while also missing a ton of bullets even on tanks. I don’t care how fast the set up is if it sucks once you use it. Ironclad also makes healing more efficient so it’s just broken. It doesn’t give enough protection but if it did healing becomes too efficient.

Bastion gets super easily corner peaked now due to his crappy spread even when the enemy is very close. Hanzo, who is super meta, ultra hard counters him because of not having fall off, having high burst damage, and dragon or grav+dragon which is also meta just absolutely destroys Bastion comps.

To summarize, Bastion gets wrecked by a change we didn’t need to sentry which promtly got nerfed with nothing to make up for it so he’s just worse than before and nothing has been done, not even a peep for over a year. Sombra gets a rework and is addressed a few months later and after that rework with the infinite invis and everything they roll back some of the nerfs after people talked about it. Why can’t they do the same with Bastion who has been bad for far longer? Every single time they’ve added downsides to a “buff” it ends up with the nerfs being too much for whatever benefit he gets. “tank buster” and “barrier buster” were labels slapped on his nerf to justify it. He’s supposed to kill things not only shoot barriers and big targets within about 10-15 meters. You can’t even shoot from bridge to bridge on Numbani first point defense without missing bullets on Reinhardt. If small heroes didn’t like dying to him let them use a barrier for once. They made him a “tank buster” by destroying his damage and ability to hit even tanks. There was that thread with the eye of Sauron watching us from a Community Manager, IDK if I’m allowed to say which one because IDK if it’d be calling out or not but he said they do read a lot of posts. Reading is different from listening so it doesn’t really comfort me.

This thread was created by PharahHǝntoi with 370 likes at the time of writing this and it’s approaching the post cap. Bastion is being forgotten . I am 90% expecting it to not be uncapped because if it is that means they’re at least reading what we say (even though they said they read things acknowledging a thread to the point of uncapping it goes beyond that.) and people would probably freak out about that. the 10% of me is hoping they do but I don’t think it’s likely.

Every other F tier hero has been changed or are confirmed to be getting changes except for Bastion. He wasn’t even on the list of F tier heroes they mentioned were getting changes.

Bastion’s playrate sucks in all tiers but bronze and silver and his winrate is negative in both bronze and silver meaning he’s not even a noob stomper like people like to claim he is. His “niche” is so absolutely tiny that his niche happens so little that he’s picked less than a tenth of a percent in Master and GM. Also his winrate tanked down to 36% in GM this week. This means even the best players outside of the pros who would most likely only play him in his niche, still hardly play him and it doesn’t even work most of the time.

Astrobiology subbed to Seagull during a stream to ask him about some of the changes we are thinking about and I clipped the response. IDK if he’ll like his name being thrown around but I’ve just started doing whatever I need to.

GrantMan did a bunch of math and testing at different ranges on this thread here: Bastion's real damage output (kinda)

This brings me back to my original question to the devs, will Bastion ever get a change?

11 Likes

Any changes and he will be to oppressive as the devs put it. Which I agree to an extent because a team working around their bastion is near unstoppable.

Use dragon. It really counters any Bastion comps. If people scatter, use grav+dragon which is meta. “Oppressive” Is what people say when they don’t want to counter a hero or a comp.

3 Likes

I agree with that. When I see an enemy bastion I try and rally my team to counter him or we are toast. Id rather they figure out another buff besides turret mode though

The general idea is something would have to go before we buffed it significantly such as removing Ironclad or slowing down the transformation to what it was again or lowering his ammo back to 200 or even all of them.

3 Likes

I actually love recon mode. I wish his sread was tighter making him almost hitscan.

Bastion’s recon gun is already more accurate than Soldier’s gun, unless you meant sentry’s spread.

2 Likes

Sentry mode is his only real problem… That’s the only part of his kit that’s really bad. I’ve done some research on it, and Sentry mode has one of the worst DPS for a ranged hitscan in the game… barring like Tracer and Sombra and the likes. Heck, they might even be better. Here’s a link if you’re curious. Bastion's real damage output (kinda)

Recon is hitscan…? And his gun is already pinpoint accurate for the first few shots, and then it’s maximum bloom is much smaller (about half I think) of Soldier’s. It’s slightly harder to control the spread, but it’s much more accurate with automatic fire. There’s not much point in buffing Recon mode because pretty much no matter what, it’s just going to be a worse version of Soldier.

1 Like

Tank Mode is also bad. It would be at least decent if Ironclad (or the old armor bonus) applied the moment that you began transformation and remained until you had fully reverted to Recon Mode. Y’know, to help you survive FOUR SECONDS OF TOTAL VULNERABILITY unlike any Ultimate in the game!

Also, it should be possible to cancel the Ultimate early by hitting Shift to assume Sentry Mode. This would make Bastion just a bit more flexible and unpredictable, allowing for greater counter-play.

I’d also like for the Tank shell hitboxes to be as large as their animation suggests they are, instead of being as tiny as bullets.

It might also be nice to have a splash radius large enough that targets can’t avoid damage from a shot at their feet just by jumping straight.

Heres hoping :frowning:

Hes going a step in the right direction with his falloff buff at least.

I think Ironclad should be scrapped all together, and he should have headshots back on turret with the spread as well.

And maybe, just maybe, he could have his shield back from beta, with a bit of balance of course.

1 Like

Poor bastion, hope something comes soon👌

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/65505817/time-will-tell-it-will.jpg

3 Likes

Bastion is just a badly designed hero, there is not much they can do without making him horribly OP without completely changing everything to the point you can’t even call him Bastion anymore.

As for anyone makes a case for Bastion being unstopable with a team working around him, this is what I have to say: You can beat this with your own teamwork. If you claim that good teamwork isn’t a realistic thing to have in competitive, look at the other team, they are working together so you should be able to also.

1 Like

Just because you’ve given up doesn’t make your words absolute.

2 Likes

That’s not true though…

Keep Ironclad, reduce damage to 12, copy Hammond’s spread pattern, add headshots

Remove Ironclad, keep damage at 15, copy Hammond’s spread, add headshots

Reduce Tank’s damage to 120, limit it’s ammo, put it on E, do one of the above Sentry changes, replace his ult with something similar to molten core

They should give back bastion the armor in tank mode or make it so ironclad is 35% instead during the duration

3 Likes

Please don’t. He doesn’t need his damage reduced.

couldn’t we just keep 15 per shot but he had 1.5 crits? You have to remember Seagull was absolutely for a full crit multiplier.

That works too if they can actually manage it… wait, doesn’t Widow do more than 2x with headshots? I’m pretty sure she does, and if that’s the case, they should be able to do a 1.5 for Bastion. The 12 damage was more for if 1.5x headshots was too hard to implement, or if they didn’t want that kind of inconsistentcy…

The problem with reduced damage isn’t so simple as “click on their heads” (it’s a bad joke don’t hurt me!) you can’t crit a barrier which is still one of his jobs even though he’s also supposed to kill things.

Yeah, it adds about a second to a Rein barrier. Not optimal, but I personally would be happy to add a second too his barrier busting if it meant shaving off multiple seconds of enemy killing… 15 + 1.5 doesn’t have that problem though, hopefully they would be willing to do that…