Competitive ranks broken (master post)

Since this issue has not been addressed in the list of known issues, and the fix mentioned in the patch notes doesn’t cover everything, I thought I’d make one big post listing all of the problems people are having with their skill tiers. For the record, here are the recent patch notes from October 13:

• Many players were ranked too low during the first week of Overwatch 2, so we are implementing a boost as players continue to play games for those affected by this issue.
  • Players who were ranked too low could have the feeling of being stuck in this rank. Moving forward, players should be able to climb the ranks in their first rank update assuming they’re supposed to be higher based on their performance.
  • Players who haven’t ranked will not experience this issue after this patch.

Despite the patch, many bug reports have been posted AFTER October 13. This includes:

This seriously needs to be addressed. Only the Bronze 5 issue was ever acknowledged, and the “fix” clearly hasn’t worked. The other issues have not seen a response from the devs or from Blizzard. Regardless of whether there is a solution yet, I think people would appreciate knowing it’s being worked on, or that Blizzard is even aware of these problems.

109 Likes

im still updating bronze 5 at least couple times after the “fix” add me to the stats… 42 wins in DPS queue

12 Likes

Yeah, the numbers are definitely much higher. I only included new posts made after October 13, but there are so many people who either comment on older posts or make their own posts on other sites. There were also a lot of posts I didn’t include because I still had 2-3 days worth of posts to go through and didn’t have the time.

I luckily haven’t dealt with the Bronze 5 issue, but I’ve been stuck on Silver 2. I decided to take a break from competitive until it’s fixed. I’ve read so many posts from people who managed to rank up only to get demoted to Bronze 5, and I want to avoid that in case Blizzard doesn’t fix things in a way that gets our ranks back to where they should be. I really hope that’s not the case though, because there are so many people stuck in Bronze 5 who shouldn’t have to redo all their work. I’m sorry that you’re personally being affected by the Bronze 5 bug.

11 Likes

I wish they’d fix this issue sooner, I’ve won 14 games yet I’m still stuck in silver 5 and keep getting promoted to it everytime. It’s hard to keep motivation to play comp games when your progress isn’t shown after grinding for however long.

5 Likes

I hope they fix it soon. Im to the point were ive given up on competitive play until the issues are fixed. Im playing decent with a decent win loss record and still in bronze 5. My profile stats show ive been playing minutes, yet i have hours punched in the game. It seems like they dont care as long as they are getting money through battle pass and the store. I thoroughly enjoy this game, but its broken and i refuse to spend money on it until its fixed. I went 7-1 during my last placement wwith decent stats and POTG honors twice, but still bronze 5.

8 Likes

I won my 7 games about 8 times and I’m still stuck at bronze 5, frustration and waste of time

15 Likes

I completed the battle pass a few days ago so my motivation for playing has been to increase my rank. I was playing nothing but competitive for three days, and at first, I thought I must’ve gotten demoted without noticing and that’s why my rank stayed the same, but then it happened again and I knew something was wrong. So yeah, without the motivation to play, I’m taking a break from the game (aside from doing some challenges). It sucks because I was supposed to be free all weekend and planned to do pretty much nothing else except grind comp.

10 Likes

I just finished grinding in DPS queue and Support queue. Despite DEALING MOST ELIMS AND DAMAGE AND MOST HEALING among everyone in the lobby, not to mention just absolutely dominating and winning, I am still getting Bronze 5.

For proofs:
Search @onigirikabuto in tiktok and watch my latest vid

5 Likes

I hope it’s still broken because then it would at least explain why I have been bronze 5 since launch. I know I’m not a grandmaster level player but bronze 5??? I have ranked twice since the fix and I am still bronze 5. I would be happy with bronze 1 or anything silver, my expectations are not bonkers lol. I am le sad.

9 Likes

It was fixed for some players but definitely not all. It’s currently still broken.

5 Likes

The ranking system in this game is extremely unfair. This is the biggest bug in the game right now. Relax and wait for updates. It’s not your fault, but the developer’s. I was able to get out of Bronze 5, but now I’m stuck in Bronze 2. 3 times I just had a liver in my team, for some reason I had to suffer because of this. I get the feeling that overwatch deliberately punishes good players and puts them in the trash so that they suffer there.

6 Likes

It feels almost like RNG, where sometimes you’ll rank up, get demoted, or stay the same, but it’s based on luck rather than skill. It sucks playing ranked when after seven wins, you might get bad luck and be demoted to Bronze 5.

3 Likes

I’m stuck gold 5 with 50 wins as dps and with 2 rankups

1 Like

Im one of them that just can’t go higher im stuck at plat 5… its been 21 win and each time its goes back to plat 5 even tho my stats are always really good… main mercy i think that since i don’t pull out my gun game detect that my ratio is actually 0 31 7 but wtf with 18k and im winning almost all my game it take me 10 game max to make 7 win , but still plat 5 plat 5 plat 5 bruh

2 Likes

If they really take kills into account for support players, they definitely need to be upfront about it. They’ve been pretty vague with how placements work, and it’s causing a lot of confusion.

3 Likes

261 competitive win as support. 59% WR. Main mercy and most of the time top heal and sometimes combined heal amt of both opponent healers. Still b5.

8 Likes

8 promotions through 7 wins as support queue and still bronze 5 in every single promotion.

5 Likes

still stuck in bronze 5 after winning a ton in tank comp.

4 Likes

Yea i just “ranked up” to my same rank why would i bother grinding comp when theres no reward well blozzard you killed the game i wont be back until this is fixed

4 Likes

I won 7 times and havent lost 20 times and still I went down in the rank

4 Likes