✅ [Role Select] Finalizing this concept

So when you click Competitive or Quickplay, you would be brought to this menu:

If you select StandardSelect, then the queue starts.
If you click CustomComposition, it goes to LFG.
If you selected one of the Green choices above, you’d get this menu:

Note: I might need to commission someone to make this look better.

133 Likes

Solid 11/10

15 Likes

prepare for 90% of the playerbase to use the third option

13 Likes

You think? It would be kinda random if you get into either a 6Flex or 2Flex-2-2 game.

It’s looks pretty good imo. You did an amazing job.

This role select, is it only limited to comp or also for QP and arcade?

No thanks.
(Or should I say no tanks)

I like Mei in her current state.

But definitely this.

8 Likes

Have it availible for both Comp and Quickplay. Haven’t thought about Arcade.

For Mei moved to Tank, keep in mind, with the DPS roles being technically Flex Roles. Mei would be selectable for DPS or Tank.
And the goal here is to make it so that you probably will get a lot of “kill hungry tanks” selecting Mei/Dva/Roadhog.
And you want to make sure that you don’t run into a situation where people are constantly picking tanks that can’t block Dva/Rein/Ashe ultimates.

But lets say you got a Dva + Mei, for Tanking. It’s not the best. But that would block a ton of ultimates.

To rephrase, I think Scott Mercer was pointing out that selfish Tank picking is one of the key barriers to properly implementing Role Queue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT2D3zK5MTo&t=13m55s

That’s part of the reason for making Mei into a tank.

Also it would help if they made it so that Fortify/TakeABreather/AdaptiveShield for Orisa/Hog/Hammond could also bodyblock Ultimates like Rein/Dva Ults.

And make it so that Orisa can reposition her barrier, at the cost of half of the remaining barrier HP. (So that you can’t just walk past the barrier, and press Q to roflstomp the team with an Orisa).

The goal should be to make it so that regardless which tank combo gets picked, it’s at least “Decent”.

Alternatively, the Flex Role heroes can run a barrier tank, or a third offtank.

These are good-looking. It’s cool you took the time to draw them up. My question about implementing them practically is whether you’d want these separate queue options to all be fragmented into different queues of players entirely. Like, do people who queue for both get paired with people who queued specifically for the role queue version? What happens if somebody who queued for a DPS role gets paired with somebody who just joined the normal “both” queue. Is the “both” person expected to fill? What’s to stop them from picking DPS and, if that happens, how do we stop somebody who waited in a 30-minute DPS queue from getting upset about it?

Only RoleSelect players would get matched with other RoleSelect players.
However, just like LFG, RoleSelect players would go against StandardSelect/RoleSelect/LookingForGroup/SoloQueue/SixStack players, into one big matchmaker pool.

Part of the reason I’m calling it Role Select, is to not confuse the issue that this would be a separate Queue.

In general, the goal here is “the best of LFG, on autopilot”.

Also for the “Both” queue, you don’t need to ask people for their role selection for Standard Queue. Since, they are all the same.

3 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. I’d be very against anything that fragmented the player base (which wouldn’t be practical in a three-year-old game), but, as long as the role select people are matched against everyone else, that would prevent that.

The only problem I can forsee is astronomical queue times for DPS players. As a flex player, I wouldn’t want to use the role selector because I like to play a variety of things and I know I would only be playing support or tank if I choose a flex spot within the role select queue since there’s never going to be a shortage of DPS players. If other flex players are like me and don’t want to use it, the only people playing tank or support in the role select queue are going to be the people that really want to play one of those roles, which is going to throw the DPS to non-DPS ratio off even more than it is already.

I’m curious what queue times would be like, but I don’t know of a way to test that without actually implementing it and I don’t think Blizzard would do that if there’s a chance that DPS players will hit the ceiling after their first ultra-long queue. Any thoughts?

Well I think the queue times issue is why I put in the ability to select both team-comps, and 1-3 roles, all simultaneously.

It allows players to control how long their queue times will be. If players are okay waiting for longer queue times. That’s their option. They are fully in control of their experience.

Similarly, if players really don’t like locked roles. They aren’t going to be forced to play with locked roles.

And similarly, for RoleSelect groups, if they find they would prefer to unlock the roles. As long as a majority are okay with it, then unlock the roles.

As for Flexing, you could just select both the Tank/Heal roles. That way you would get faster queue times, and have some variety in your games.

I also am quite adamant about moving Mei into the Tank Role.
Since it gives Tank heroes an option with add some damage back into the mix. Especially anti-air. (Basically Pharah)
However it still maintains strong tanking capabilities.
(Mei is also a strong answer to dealing with Bastion, who is difficult to deal with at lower ranks).

1 Like

That makes sense. It’d be interesting to see how it’d shake out.

I’m kind of torn on role queue as a concept. On one hand, I want everyone to be playing a role they’re comfortable with (which is why I flex; It lessens the chance that anyone on my team will be stuck in a role they aren’t comfortable with). On the other hand, I think everybody should put work into flexing because playing other heroes is the best way to learn to play with AND against those heroes on any hero. I think flexing, team-building, and counter-picking are just as important as communicating and executing well and anyone who can’t do those things is a detriment to their team no matter how good they are at their hero.

If there was going to be a role select, though, I’d want it to be like the one you’ve suggested, only functional for those who want it without affecting those that don’t. I still don’t think it’d make the game enjoyable for people who don’t enjoy it now because they’re still probably going to blame the matchmaker and/or take issue with other people’s picks even if they are within the role they chose, but at least there won’t be any “my team always picks four DPS” issues. Also, I can just imagine that Genji main raging after losing a game that they waited 30 minutes in the queue for. Like you said, though, that will have been their choice.

Unfortunately true, if it isn’t forced the 10 year old taking a break from COD will want to insist on playing Genji or McCree while flailing around aimlessly at it…

What if you limit a role to max 3 team slots? I mean, we all want role queue because no one wants the be solo tank/support with 5 dps.

1 Like

999/10

All that would do is prevent 4x DPS and Quad tank.
But you’d end up with solo tanks, or solo healers. Which isn’t all that fun, especially if you joined a longer queue to get into it.
And it wouldn’t work that well, if that solo tank is a Roadhog, or that solo healer is a Zenyatta.

You still have the same problem you’re talking about with the role queue. People can still play Winston/Rein or Roadhog/Dva

That’s part of the reason for making Mei into a tank.

Also it would help if they made it so that Fortify/TakeABreather/AdaptiveShield for Orisa/Hog/Hammond could also bodyblock Ultimates like Rein/Dva Ults.

And make it so that Orisa can reposition her barrier, at the cost of half of the remaining barrier HP. (So that you can’t just walk past the barrier, and press Q to roflstomp the team with an Orisa).

The goal should be to make it so that regardless which tank combo gets picked, it’s at least “Decent”.

A lot of effort and looks nice, but both Jeff and Geoff have talked about why this (and a dedicated soloQ) are much harder to implement than simply adding some options to the menu, and to not expect it.

Don’t go half-way into role queue. Why go for 2 flex and enforce double tanks and double healers?

Either go for full endorsed 2-2-2 rock solid meta, or build on 1-1-1-3flex.