✅ [Not 2-2-2] TF2 style Class Limits

Honestly at this point I’ll take any mechanic that gets across the message that this is a team game.

Well I think currently it’s very difficult to manage as Solo Tank + Solo Healer.
Tank doesn’t get reliable heals.
Healer doesn’t get reliable peels.

Adding a third TankOrHealer teammate into the mix would make it a lot easier. Especially since Brig/Lucio/Baptiste can kinda act as rescue for a MainTank with a shattered shield. And act as an offhealer. Both at the same time.

And this mechanic guarantees 3 teammates on either Tank or Healer.

And heck, if you get a Rein/Orisa + Roadhog/Dva + 3DPS + MainHeal, which is still pretty similar to 4-1-1. Atleast with that, the Roadhog/Dva are somewhat self-sufficient on heals, and are decent at capturing/holding objectives.

And even with two offtanks, you’d still be able to do decent if you have an amazing Baptiste on your team, who can block ultimates.

They should add a team meter that fills based on fire (so they would need to retune that) that allows your team to capture the objective faster if your quad DPS teammates are going off. That would be sick. I can just stay back, chill, play my preferred role, and the tanks and supports can reap the benefits of my team work.

Oh hey it’s GreyFalcon and once again he’s trying to look smart but in reality he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Cringy AF to see you talk about this when it’s obvious you probably haven’t even played a match of competitive TF2 in your life.
Reality is that TF2 has a bunch of competitive modes but the 2 most played ones are 6s (6v6) and Highlander (9v9). I’ll describe both of them correctly so people don’t get misguided by your absolutely wrong information.

In 6s, the lineup always has to be

• 1 Medic
  • 1 Demoman
  • 1 Pocket Soldier
  • 1 Roamer Soldier
  • 2 Scouts

Medic is essential, you can’t win without one.
Demoman is also essential.
Pocket Soldier is also essential because he stays with the Medic in order to protect him from flankers.
Roamer Soldier is important.
So we’re left with 2 scouts which are the ones (usually only 1 of them) who usually off-class to Sniper/Engineer (almost always for last point defence)/Pyro.
You actually aren’t allowed to off-class for more than a fixed amount of time (can’t remember exactly, been years since I played comp TF2).

Now, Highlander. Highlander is 9v9 where each member of the team picks 1 of the classes and plays that. So you will always have

• 1 Scout
  • 1 Soldier
  • 1 Pyro
  • 1 Demoman
  • 1 Heavy
  • 1 Engineer
  • 1 Medic
  • 1 Sniper
  • 1 Spy

You aren’t allowed to have more than 1 per class.

In TF2, it’s always people playing their mains, you won’t ever see someone saying “hey, insert class, switch with me”.

In Overwatch, a 2-2-2 setup or a possible

• 1 Main Tank
  • 1 Off Tank
  • 1 Hitscan DPS
  • 1 Projectile DPS
  • 1 Main Healer
  • 1 Off Healer

is going to be extremely awesome and will solve everything. People want to play their favorite heroes/classes they’re used to playing, build ults and unleash them onto the enemy, not switching off every 30 seconds because someone is making a fuss with the hero he picked.

2 Likes

Maybe for you but I actually am one of those who still enjoys watching/playing goats tbh than every other mirror matches. (Like bunker as example regardless if its mirror or not)

But this game still isnt tf2 so you can forget about that idea mate.

I’d much rather have 2-2-2/role queue then the mess you’re proposing.

Role queue and 2-2-2 as I see them.

• Role based SR probably MMR for QP (maybe one average SR between the roles)
  • You queue up for a role and cannot switch from it once in game. But it doesn’t stop you from switching to other heroes in your role.
  • With role queue you don’t have the problem of having 4-5 DPS, Support, or Tank mains on one team. The only problem then will be people who main the same hero.

As for TF2 6v6 and 9v9 aka highlander are formats only played by 3rd party competitive groups. Which make up a very small minority in the TF2 community because the rest of the players find those formats boring. Those comp groups made up their own version of playing the game so they’re anything but the “Standard Competitive Format”. Valve made their own version of competitive to try to appease those players. But since it wasn’t a carbon copy of their format they didn’t use it.

For months you’ve been making different iterations of the same idea. Please just give it a rest already.

1 Like

Take OW and add the following:

1 min, 3 max per role.

That allows 2-2-2 and 3-2-1 comps. It’s more balanced than the 3-3 garbage we’re seeing right now, but allows for more flexibility than forced 2-2-2.

nobody is even playing 3/3 anymore. it’s 2/2/2 now more than anything, and mostly with hog and orisa.

GOATS is still what we’re going to be seeing in OWL, and you can still find it here and there.

The barrier/bastion comp is a different beast that will need to be dealt with on its own. Same with this clockwork monstrosity (“monstrosity”? It’s got Mei and Torb, so I think we really mean “best comp”) that’s been sighted (Mei is going to get nerfed into the ground if clockwork hits the OWL. Her M1 is pure anti-fun).

And 3-3 aside, QP is a freaking nightmare at the best of times because almost every game is a 5-1 dps auto-lock bonanza followed by angry shouting/arguing as people try to get someone to go tank…if you’re lucky (if you’re not, nobody cares and you’ve lost the game before you’ve even picked your hero).

There’s more than just GOATs that some kind of compositional requirements would fix.

This is for me one of the most important things to bring QP in the right shape. I am playing Ow since release. I had a 100+ level learningphase before playing comp the first time. And i started with all players at the same level to comp, at 0. When the prize of Ow falls further and its maybe going f2p (for qp? and not ranked) it will attract more players. But it doesnt help if the gamequality is so bad that the players stop after a few hours.

This kind of softlock sounds very appealing to me. A forced 2-2-2 is very harsh. But i want a roleQ. I want the tanks like to play tanks and i want supports wanting to support, not to fill.

of course it is, because owl demands a mobile team comp that cant get one shot. Now on ladder, we have people playing a 2/2/2 that can’t get one shot. The actual problem is not being addressed, and these role queue, class limit suggestions won’t solve it.

I agree. The real problems in OWL are Hanzo and Widowmaker.

1 Like

very nice, I like it better than 222lock, however:

why not just reinstitute No Limits, remove PBSR and make it a solo only queue.

I would say this would be the best way to play Overwatch in the ladder

And I made a ton of Roadhog idea iterations, and then the devs went up going with something very similar to one of my most recent ideas.

That kinda tells me that iteratively designing a concept, sanding off the rough edges, and making it more and more compelling, is the way to go.

How dare someone update their idea to respond to feedback given lol

Are we going to start with “2-2-2 Posts are spam too” like we did with mercy?

Until one player doesn’t play their role properly, and you are physically incapable of swapping to deal with it.

'cause it has less classes, but yeah.

I mean, the Tf2 meta is 4 dps basically.

Wait make that 5, I forgot demo.

I think people are reading in too much on the analogy, to the extent of kinda ignoring the proposed idea :slight_smile:

If the main tanks could provide peel id honestky be ok with a 1 3 2 comp of three dps seeing as they are the biggest category. But some tanks like hog and dva just dont cut it solo tanking