Forget role queue, forced 2-2-2 and other role locks

Let’s just actually make winning more of a reward than being an amazing Genji.

Players are sabotaging themselves and each other. But forcing people into a role they want doesn’t really help, and there’s enough hybrids and interesting plots and strategies than can be used outside of 2-2-2 to force it. Even pros use 4 DPS sometimes.

1 Like

I think uncooperative teams shouldn’t be running soloTank/soloHeal. Because they usually aren’t going to be properly supporting that one player holding up that entire Role by themselves.
Or that one player will perform badly (for various reasons) and drag down an entire Role.

So, do 2Flex-2Tank-2Heal, and if it’s optional require 4 votes to unlock roles, and if it’s mandatory require 3 votes to unlock roles.

If they can’t cooperate on a simple vote, they probably won’t be able to cooperate with soloTank/soloHeal.

Enforcing 2/2/2 is going to lock roles out completely.
I can not imagine the frustration of having to pick tank or support when i really don’t want to.

Its best to force roles when it comes to solo play experience … people who group up on purpose can run whatever they want.

I mean, it happens now if you care about the outcome of the match at all.

Of course, I mean I already see a lot of double off-tank play that doesn’t work, and DPS-Support that deprives people of healing.

Picking a hero doesn’t mean the player is going to play the role. So you just can’t enforce that. You have to get them interested and encourage them to do the job.

Part of that will be new heroes that add diversity and play styles, but just straight up making winning what’s important to encourage variety of play is at the root of it.

1 Like

That’s why you move Mei to the Tank Role.

So selfish players pick Mei+Dva, which just so happens to be some of the strongest hero counters to Ultimates in the game.

1 Like

Putting Mei in Tank role doesn’t stop you from having a bad tank pairing, it almost encourages it.

Where do you put Brig?

What do you do with WidowAnas? DPS Moiras?

As it stands now, that’s true.
But you can not even enter the fray without choosing a tank with enforced 2/2/2.
You’re meant to pick tank or support if dps is already locked in.
You’re going to stand in spawn, waiting to get kicked by the afk timer, or you pick a tank/support.

1. You make a 6Flex queue to siphon off the uncooperative players, from the cooperative play experience.
  2. You make a system that allows teammates to trade Heroes+Roles. (I.e. Trade that DPS-only Ana from your Flex spot).
  3. It’s you are already in the Flex Role, then just go Healer without trading Roles, because “Flex”. (Ditto for Tanks that won’t Tank).

I can actually go back to a tangible example here.

Once upon a time when Widow’s rate of fire was lower, and Ana did 80 damage, Ana was mechanically and mathematically a better sniper than Widow, so a lot of people wanting to play sniper just picked Ana. Meanwhile the rest of her team thought hey, we have a healer, so would pick one or no more. Then Ana wouldn’t heal and they’d lose.

Symm had to be taken out of Support because people would play her and be satisfied they had 2 support.

You can’t put hybrids in to those fixed categories because it’ll obviously just get abused.

Fundamentally, the problem is players simply don’t feel strongly enough compelled to win, to ‘get’ the game.

You’re just over complicating a simple problem.

Winning isn’t enough.

Added an extra bulletpoint that’s even simpler.

Also I like to think of it as planned countermeasures for negative contingencies.