The 1-2-3 hero select system

Now, I haven’t thought about this too deeply so rip it apart it is has something wrong with it.

But yesterday Jeff posted about a 4-1-1, so playing the game with 4 dps, 1 tank and 1 healer. And how it was pretty horrible. So that got me thinking about a new system.

The idea is your comp is limited to either
2-2-2 or 1-2-3. So you can have.

2 dps, 2 tanks, 2 supports.

Or…

3 dps, 2 tanks, 1 support.
3 dps, 2 support, 1 tank.
3 tanks, 2 support, 1 dps.
3 tanks, 2 dps, 1 support.
3 support, 2 tanks, 1 dps.
3 support, 2 dps, 1 tank.

So when you enter the game, you can pick any hero you like. But the role select is locked out if 3 people pick a hero from certain role. And then that limits the other two roles to 2 and then to 1.

This will also allow you to change roles during the game. If you have 3 tanks, one of them can decide to go dps or support if they feel thats what the team needs. Or maybe they have a high damage set up, so your dps can switch to a third tank to try and counter.

The downsides are you can still get people not wanting to work as a team and picking an hero that doesn’t fit with the rest of the team. But, it is a step closer to having more balanced and more competitive games.

What do you think?

1 Like

This seems like it would lead to people instalocking a character in the role they wanted because they are afraid of being stuck in a role they don’t play well. Or 3 people instalocking dps and refusing to switch. Which can happen right now too, but at least if it does the rest of the team can go with something wacky outside their roles to try and work with it. (or salt swap to mei and ice wall their team.)

2 Likes

Not to mention that in spite of what Jeff said…one of the better (effective) strats last night was quad dps…an option that you couldn’t even use with your system…

Pls stop with role limits…the whole point of the game is to be able to change things up on the fly…

2 Likes

I think I prefer team compositions that avoid 1Heal or 1Tank.

Because if that one player can’t or won’t perform, then the entire team suffers.

But still keep it as an option, but only if atleast 4 players can agreed to unlock roles.

Not surprisingly, I prefer my own solution. But I think I have pretty good reasoning for it.

✅ [Role Select] Finalizing this concept
✅[Draft Pick] 2Flex-2Tank-2Heal

Like you said, that already happens. So that wouldn’t be an issue with this. You would actually benifit from not having 5 people all pick dps. You would get a more consiant comp.

Which was only run to try and stop 3 tanks and 3 supports. And it only got them so far. They also tried 2-2-2 againts goats, and that lasted less than 30 seconds before they switched. Which also wouldn’t be a problem with this system.

In fact balancing would be easier. Wouldn’t have to make reaper or FTH so powerful and messing up lower ranks to try and stop the abuse of what the higher ranks are doing.

So a role section would actually make the game more balanced at all ranks.

Then a dps can switch to the support or tank role of they wanted to. This does not limit 1 tank and 1 support. You can have 3 supports and 2 tanks if you like. Allowing flexibility.

It actually took first point in like 30 seconds both times I saw it and got 90% of second point first time and then actually took it the second time

You’re fooling yourself into thinking another meta wouldn’t develop that wouldnt also require “harsh” buffs/nerfs to other characters…it wouldn’t actually solve anything other than making a different perhaps more appealing META…the same problems would exist while also limiting comp creativity

2Flex-2Tank-2Heal allows for every composition besides 3-4DPS comps.

And I figure to move Mei over to the Tank role, without changing her equipment. So you have a rough approximation of 3x DPS.

And if 4 people vote to unlock roles, then unlock roles. If you don’t have atleast that level of trust, then you shouldn’t be running 3-4DPS comps.

When did I say a meta wouldn’t develop? I believe a meta will always exist.

This is to improve our games. Though it would certainly allow easier balancing for higher teir games.

People will leave or throw as soon as they don’t get the role they want.

2/2/2 role queue is easy and viable.

They should try how it will work out in the arcade and if it is going well there isn’t much of a point to not implementing it at least in ranked.

i think alot of people will leave right from the get go if they cant choose whatever hero/role they want … especially players that are on slower machines or backfill … imagine backfilling into a game and being forced to play support since all other roles are locked … yeah, im bailing on that game in a heartbeat.

All we need is a system to assemble the team before going into the game. One that works on our preferred picks. On how we have fun playing the game!

If I want to play a Tank, specifically Rainhard, so I’ll just queue up as Rainhard player, then pick my second pick and maybe third to speed up the queue time.

The system could work on a soft 2-2-2 composition. It shouldn’t be a problem, even pro players by default are assembled like this.

To round this all up I would get rid of the current player profiles entirely, maybe just leave them for the one him/herself, and replace it with a achievement/honor profile that shows only what the player wants to show. If you are a good tank, won many games, got up voted many times you’ll rank up your Tank + Specific hero “badge”, which you can show off to others. People like to show off, even more the things that are associated to things they like. Finally this would help in assembling a functioning team.

In case of someone having to flex off their 3 preferred picks, I wouldn’t be mad if he gets a special treatment, like bonus exp, bonus honor points (to get more lootbooxes f.e.), bonus “badge”.

These are just some ideas, like the thousands out there to improve our player experience, but the Devs are to stubborn to listen. Stubborn enough to see the game slowly dieing.