✅ [Apex style draft pick] + 2Flex-2-2

At the start of a match, randomly pick who gets to choose their character first, in order, 1-6.

You get 5 seconds to decide, if you don’t decide, you get bumped to the end of the line.

• For Quickplay, do 3DPS maximum limit as the composition, no locked roles.
  • For Quickplay, do 2Flex-2Tank-2Heal as the composition, locked roles, 3 votes to unlock roles.
  • For Comp, do 2Flex-2Tank-2Heal as the composition, locked roles, 3 votes to unlock roles.

That way people with fiber+ssd don’t always get first pick.

For votes, at the beginning of the game you get this in chat:

• If you would like to unlock roles, hold F for 5 seconds to vote to unlock roles. 3 votes required.

Move Mei to the Tank Role for an approximation of 3DPS, and a Hero that is really good at self sustain, standing on objectives, blocking most ultimates, and creating cover that allows you to get through chokepoints.

Create a “Hero Swap” feature, where if you press H while outside the spawnroom it brings up a Role Select Menu, with your current role greyed out. Then select 1 or 2 Roles you would like to switch to.
This brings up a message to the players you could switch with:

• GreyFalcon (Zenyatta,Healer), would like to switch to Tank Role. Press H if you would like to switch to their Hero.

If they then press H, and choose your hero, then your camera switches places with your teammate. The heroes do not move. But you take over a new hero and the new role.

6 Likes

It would limit comp ideas though since people are saying “What’s up, what are we going to run”. Yea bump that time up quite a bit lol.

1 Like

5sec * 6 players
That’s possibly 30 seconds.

What number would you think would be better?

So is hero switching just removed from the game, or what?

Apex didn’t invent drafting; it’s a standard play mode for MOBAs. It’s just not used in Overwatch, because it doesn’t make any sense when players can/should switch characters throughout the match.

3 Likes

Most games give people 30 seconds to a full minute. 5 seconds is not enough time to discuss composition with your teammates… which is the actual point of a draft, by the way, it is not just some fancy picking order mechanic.

As for the suggestion, no. I have no idea why people are so insistent on creating a system that encourages throwing.

1 Like

Well, with the quickplay setup, there’s no locked roles, just a maximum of 3DPS per team.

With Comp, 2Flex-2Tank-2Heal allows for every team composition besides 3-4DPS comps.

Additionally,

But i paid for that advantage :sunglasses:

Well yeah, I was talking about draft picks 2 months ago.
⭕ [COMP] Instead of Role Queue

Yeah, but this isn’t really about a highly coordinated composition in quickplay (lol), so much as “who gets dibs on the 3 DPS spots”.

They can change their heroes and roles later, since roles wouldn’t be locked for quickplay.

As for Comp, it’s more a question of what’s more fair. Long DPS queue times, or not always getting to play DPS.

Okay, I am more or less referring to comp where DPS is relegated to “flex.” An oxymoron to be sure if you understand us DPS players vaguely. Ha ha…

Neither is fair. So, that is why you do not do it. Use LFG or another tool to find people to bend the knee. I am not into it.

Well LFG isn’t fixable, so that’s not really an argument.

Yes it is. If that is what happened with WILLING participants, what do you believe will happen if you force players into that enviroment. It (the game) will die, just as LFG did. And if you mean as a seperate queue, first it (forced roles) would split the player-base, and then it would die, just as LFG did. History repeats itself. We saw how that worked and this is hardly different.

LFG is fundamentally broken. Not possible to fix.

Because of it’s many options, it basically creates tons of tiny fractional player populations.

BY DESIGN those tiny fractional player populations create bad queue times.

And it’s NOT POSSIBLE to change that without removing the aspects of LFG that make it worthwhile.

Furthermore, if you think LFG is so grand, and you demand customization, then why not just use LFG yourself?

Unless you want to admit that that would be a bad idea…

I thought it was clear from context that I thought LFG was a dumpster fire and that is primarily why I do not want forced roles… but I do not use it because I like getting varied compositions randomly.

It is fun to coordinate with different heroes which happens more often in triple DPS scenarios. There are only like 7 tanks, most of which synergize with another and 6 healers. A relatively small amount of possibilities. The DPS roster is double that. Honestly, at first, GOATs was cool because you rarely see 3 tanks or 3 supports and I still enjoy the composition myself. But the point is… it gets stale.

Forced roles would absolutely diminish that.

If you have enough team coordination to support a soloTank or soloHealer, then it shouldn’t be that hard to get 4 players to vote to unlock roles.

Nobody knows how much coordination you have until the waters are tested and if what you are doing works, why would 4 people want to switch it up? I remember a solo healer match where the healer was a nervous wreck and worried our solo tank D.Va was overextending when everything was fine. They would not vote on it even though we held them first point Hollywood. If we had an additional stack or one larger than 2. Apparently not. So on, and so forth.

Votes are lame.

Like, what am I supposed to say? Unlock roles or I throw? That is report bait if I have ever seen it.

If your team can’t cooperate to unlock roles, then why should they be playing compositions that requires a higher level of cooperation?

By definition, you guys can’t seem to cooperate, in the first place.

Do they though? It sounds subjective to me. I have an easier time coordinating with other DPS than scared Rein or Ana’s that can only hit tanks. All you need to do is play safe. It is not so much about coordination as it is about not relying on crutches.

That really doesn’t sound a great option at all, and limiting.

Not to mention that what happens if someone decides to quit, if they don’t like the pick, does the whole thing restarts/backfill? Can you still change half-way throughout the game?

Any complaints if votes required was 3?