✅ [Role Select] Finalizing this concept

Yup, and I believe the method I described bypasses all of those difficulties.

Unless you can think of any?

Because the point of RoleSelect is to make it easier for teams to cooperate.
Not to force restrictive metas.
You want to give people as much flexibility as possible, while still maintaining the basic structure that makes for strong team compositions.

Also I don’t think 1-1-1-3Flex would work. Mostly because solo healing Zenyatta, or solo tank Roadhog kinda defeats the purpose.

1 Like

I’m not for role que, nor am I against it. It would be interesting to see what the effects of such a system would be.

You think GM would use this at all, or would it always be 6Flex queue?

Whew lad, looks almost like the group finder that is already in the game.

Good things youre not using that one though, because of reasons!

The difference being that LFG is horribly unpopular because it’s too much effort.

This on the other hand, offers almost all the benefits of LFG, without all the hassle, and faster queue speeds.

I think it would probably be very popular in GM.

What if a tank player ques to be a dps

I don’t know a single Tank Main who would refuse to play Main Tank if the rest of the Team comp is well balanced and the other guy insists on playing Off-Tank.

People who pick solo or duo Off-Tank in comp are most probably people who would rather play DPS and find the play style of Main Tanks unappealing.

This problem would actually be FIXED by role queue cause only people who actually queued up for Tanks would have to play them.

Also I would still prefer having 2 Off-Tanks on my team over having 4 DPS on my team.

Then you can use offtanks that supplement your damage. Such as Roadhog/Dva/Mei.

Also a good Zenyatta helps crank up your team’s damage output.

Have you seen the “Find A Group” screen? Is it worse than what you’re proposing?

Yup, even Jeff admits everybody likes LFG, but people hardly ever use it.

This idea I proposed gives the best of what LFG has to offer, without all the hassle.

I don’t think that is possible without a rigid solid formation. Kinda like how LoL have top, mid, bot, support, jungle.

You can’t have both ways. Either the game embrace freedom and let people choose any formation in the hopes that sometimes something innovative appear to shake the meta, or you embrace the formation you want for your game and balance things around them.

LoL is again a good example. Back at the start of their pro scene, some people were doing more variable strats, then Riot decided to enforce rigid roles.

Blizzard did the same thing when they implemented the 1-hero limit, because when overtime arrived it was just a bunch of Mei and Tracer stalling forever.

Also, going 2-2-2xFlex don’t allow for triple and quad DPS formations, which are also useful sometimes.

If you think those heroes being the solo representative of their roles is a problem, then ask for buffs so that they can work like that.

I don’t think Hog or Zen need a buff, but then, I have won a lot of fights with solo zen healing and solo hog tanking.

As always, my usual advice is that if you want a team with a specific formation, form a team yourself. If you are reliant on matchmaking, deal with the cards you have in hand.

2 Likes

We need role select asap

3 Likes

That’s why I figure Mei + 2DPS is a close enough approximation for TripleDPS. And if you really need TripleDPS/QuadDPS, then it should be easy enough to get 4 votes to unlock the roles.

Is this being pitched to supplant LFG? Would be useful to explain in the original post how exactly this would be integrated into the game.

Also, for clarification regarding the “Join A Group” option: if I queue as a flex player for a 1 flex, 3 tank, 1 heal, 1 DPS composition, am I waiting for 5 other players to queue with exactly the same composition (and are not in the same role as me)?

If the answer is yes, I wouldn’t be so quick to guarantee the following:

But I think it would work pretty well for any comp in the meta. I hope that longer queue times will not discourage off-meta comps.

I think the join both queue may run into issues.

Team Fortress 2 has a matchmaker that allows you to queue for all maps in a category, multiple map types in a category or just a singular map in the category. The result is that players that queue for all maps in the category get dumped into whatever is the most popular map over and over and over. Needless to say, I stopped queuing for all maps since it turns out I didn’t like playing Dustbowl every time.

I think you’d see a similar result and whatever mode was the most popular and that players that liked the other mode better by much would swap to just queuing for that. As a result, the change would basically morph into basically having two separate queues.

The three most likely outcomes in my view would be:

#1. People do not queue for role select for very long and it fails like LFG.

#2 People queue for both modes. People that like role select are generally happy that it’s an option. Players that don’t like it however may be annoyed with increased queue times which will occur unless the mode brings in more players.

#3. Role select takes off and kills standard select. Some of the players that like Standard select will quit. (You may gain some players that might like the idea of role select/avoid losing some players that like the idea of role select.

Additionally, the tanks will likely annoy people. If I spend a long time to queue as DPS I am not going to be pleased if my tanks are Mei and Roadhog.

1 Like

What can I say, I love it

1. We’re no worse off than we are now
  2. Works fantastic
  3. Also fine, and if people really care about other compositions, they can just vote to unlock.

Sounds okay to me.

Look at it from the perspective of someone that doesn’t like that direction:

1. Developer time is wasted.

2. Queue time increases

3. The method you played the game in dies.

If you know that the player base would rather have role select you’d go for it but, if they don’t it’d be a mistake.

As far as I can tell, you’ve got a strong overlap between the people that wanted LFG and those that wanted role queue/role select. Last I looked, LFG isn’t popping well.

1 Like

That’s largely because the setup-time for LFG is too high.

And the main reason the setup time is high, is because there are too many composition options, it guarantees only a few that match your specifications.

By standardizing things, it avoids splintering things.