✅ [Account Merging] Better than RoleBasedSR

• A lot of people have been begging the devs to do something about Smurfs.
  • A lot of high rank players have been begging the devs to make Rank Decay, less of a problem.
  • A lot of players want to play different heroes than their main Role, but don’t want to lose out on the skins and gold from their main account.

What if the devs could mostly solve ALL of those issues?

Account Merging

• Allows players to merge their multiple accounts into one account.
  • Accounts share:
    • Skins
    • Gold currency
    • Immediate access to Competitive for all profile accounts, if one or more have access already.
    • Shared Rank and XP (Rank set to whatever the max rank account is, or maybe add the account xp all together)
    • Player misconduct reports
    • Playing on any of these accounts prevents rank decay on ALL of the accounts.
      * Except in Top500, where you could lose some SR, but not enough to exit GM.
  • Lastly, as an incentive to use this feature, every Overwatch player would be given 1 or 2 free “Account Profiles”, by default.
  • This would help deal with Smurfing by making it so that bad behavior on a different “Account Profile” would affect their main profile. And because now that the profiles are linked, the devs can used the multiple profiles to help with their “MMR Calculations”.
  • Also another way it would help with Smurfing is that you’d get a lot less GM/Masters players that decay all the way down to Diamond. So Diamond players wouldn’t have such a rough time with players who are really GM/Masters.
  • Would create a framework to allow for Console to PC account merging, sometime in the future.

Pretty cool idea, huh?

And by providing something that serves the same function as RoleBasedSR, without the large queue time issues. It would allow for RoleQueue solutions, like the one I proposed over here.
✅ [Role Select] Finalizing this concept

Or possibly RoleLimitQueue solutions.
✅ [Role Reserve Queue] Adding RQ to RoleLimits

10 Likes

Na, i already have everything on my main.
Woud only make sens for consol to PC.
And even with the changes to decay, it wont help with smurfing or anything.

Way I see it, this whole “RoleBasedSR” concept is because people want to play Roles they aren’t that good at.

However the problem with RoleBasedSR is that you’d end up creating really large DPS queue times.

So here’s an idea that gets the benefit of RoleBasedSR, without the cost.

Thanks for reminding me to put that bulletpoint.

Doubt this would change much.

Players play on low alt/smurf accounts because it’s fun.

It coud actually be abused.
Link an acc in plat to your t500 acc at 4600SR and only play on your plat acc.
Now you will have no problem with decay and playing on your main.

Yah if you lose…
If you win you wont lose SR. So your still good to go.

I figure if you just play the Plat account, the Top500 account would still decay if you win or lose, if you don’t play the Top500 account. But it just wouldn’t decay below GM.

That woud work.

Also another way it would help with “smurfing” is that you’d get a lot less players that decay all the way down to Diamond.

So Diamond players wouldn’t have such a rough time with players who are really GM.

That isnt a problem, as only the number gose down, not your hidden MMR.
So gms still play against gms even after decay.

Even if that’s true, it would at least remove a lot of the perception of that happening. Which is sometimes just as important as the reality. Especially for something nebulous like “That guy is secretly a really high rank”. Even when it’s really just a Widow who got lucky with a 3x headshot kills in a row, and won’t be able to pull that off for another month.

it’s my understanding that decay only affects SR and not MMR.

account merging should’ve been available at launch though

I wouldn’t mind account merging (especially for cross platform players) for the content I have on one system isn’t on the other and vice versa.

Rank decay I feel is fine, however it could be slightly slower at diamond then steadily increased.

I do like the idea of 2 free accounts linked to you main, so you are accountable if one of them gets banned or silenced you can’t just jump onto another account. Makes people be at least a little bit more accountable for there actions. I’m not getting payed to say account btw xD

However I never got the appeal in having multiple accounts and just feel it’s used mostly in a negative fashion.

Well, it is nice to have an account to play with your lowbie friends, without messing up their matchmaker ranking. (Wouldn’t ever want to get titled with IRL friends).

Also for those at high ranks that feel locked into a specific role or hero.

Also having alternate accounts allows them to tryhard on their main, and chill on their alternate. Cause sometimes you just don’t have the energy/focus to tryhard, but wanna have a fun time online.

Im not too sold on this idea, you would still need to put a system in place that stops players making new accounts and just not merging them together. And what exactly would the benefit be of have a second account? If it already knows your placement it’s just going to put you back where your main account is? So basically you’re just juggling two accounts in the same rank while trying to rank up.

Personally, not only would I want the accounts merged, I’d want them to limit people to one account and one account only. Best way to eliminate cheating.

So each account would still have its own SR and rank? and would player be allowed to have unlimited accounts? Would the SR of one account effect the others. (ex. a player is diamond on one account and bronze on another, revealing that they are obviously smurfing) If the SR IS effected by the other accounts then why have separate accounts and wouldn’t players just not merge accounts if this happened.

Yes, Yes (but you got pay for more accounts to merge in), no but it might affect the mmr,

What is MMR again? secret rank? I really like this idea BTW.