Whats the point of Priority Pass

As somebody who has probably spent more time thinking about queue design than 90% of this forum combined, you got me confused about what sort of design you’re implying.

1 Like

And how do you know that, please do explain.

You dont really know how the system works do you?

The point is that Blizzard wanted to “try” to fix DPS queue times by forcing players to play the flex (tank) role for priority queue instead of just making tank not complete garbage to play. It’s like they’re utterly terrified of people enjoying tank. It doesn’t need to be an overpowered role, it just needs to be one that doesn’t make you feel like a useless, clunky punching bag. And as a result its making queues even worse because tank players have even less reason to queue now because there’s an even higher chance that the other tank will be a selfish DPS who just wants a pass and doesn’t care about winning, or has absolutely no idea how to tank.

To start with I was probably the most active person talking about “fast pass queue token” design in 2019.

I’ve been talking about queue design since 2018.

That said, adding one Tank has a ton more leverage at fixing queue times than adding one DPS.

I dont know this to be true, you would have to prove it.

Well, here’s a start.

✅ [Role Select] Finalizing this concept

✅ [2-2-2] Putting RoleQ into Quickplay

✅ Competitive 222 vs Competitive Classic

This proves that you talked about RQ not that you know more than most people and we are talking about priority Q, so i ask you again, you dont know how it works do you? If you do please explain it.

In short, people get to skip ahead in the queue, or if there’s not a formalized queue there’s at least a variable that determines the likelyhood of getting matched.

That said, personally I think they got a sequential queue, followed by actual matchmaking based on likelihood of matching variables. And what these “fast passes” are doing is allowing you to skip that initial queue.

That said, every +1 Tank probably has 5x the impact of +1 DPS player.

Additionally, every DPS player converted to a Tank player, subtracts from the DPS queue, and adds to the Tank queue. So that’s more like 6x impact.

You are missing very important details regarding the system, i dont know if intentionally or not. But this shows that i was right, you dont fully understand the system. I can explain to you what that is but in order to see if you are actually willing to have a proper conversation about it, i will give you a chance to think about it some more, so that you can find what you are missing.

I don’t know where all these negative Nancys are coming from. Passes regularly turn 10 minute queue times into 5 minutes for me.

2 Likes

Some of it is ignorance, others just want to complain about something they dislike like RQ.

1 Like

You’ll be placed in lopsided round faster! Duh.

The goal was to address the imbalance of queue times when realistically it only highlights it more.

My queue time for damage is always longer than expected with priority pass so it’s not effective at all in my experience. Jeff has said in a very recent interview that the data suggests it does help queue times but it certainly doesn’t feel like it… i believe it’s just a temporary solution/cover-up until they make big role changes in overwatch 2.

it does drop que times from 10 minutes down to 5-6 but if the passes never get used up then everyone will still que dps as there wont be a reason to flex, the passes will always be there

Well, pp has a lot of uses. It’s good to use with friends, i’m also pretty sure girls like pp too ESPECIALLY. It’s a good way to add some spice.
you knew it was coming folks

Yeah, like not giving out several of them at once for a win and reducing their value inherently? It should’ve been 3 max for a win. I already knew this though. :woman_shrugging:

No data is required

This is simply how FIFO (first in, first out) queues work

if a FIFO queue of any kind is formed, and something acts to push a new element into a position in the front of the queue, all other elements behind it are pushed back by one spot

indeed

but

can you tell me what happens to the wait time of all the dps players who got in line before you but are now behind you in that same queue?

Is their situation improved?

thank brig for this one, the gift that keeps on giving

No it isn’t and it shows your lack of understanding of the system.

It’s because everyone has priority passes now, you only pay 1 per match right? and 40 matches last a long time once you’ve fully stocked up.