Symmetra Rework: Defense or Support?

are you gonna keep the animation of her summoning her turrets? because she uses it in her highlight intros and animations and it would be a shame to remove it

This sounds really neat but them being only 30 health is just way too low and considering the fact that you guys are thinking of allowing the enemy team may be could shoot them down while they are traveling? Seems useless. If you are going to make it so people can shoot them down before them being placed on a surface than allow the turrets to target enemies on the way there.

1 Like

I’d still prefer half damage, Double turret numbers and lower placement time every time.
I considered this but I would still prefer half damage, More turrets and perhaps less placement time over 3 turrets.

I will give it a chance but I don’t have much faith in the developers to change Symmetra since the first rework introduced a bug with Photon barrier for 9 months where being near cover paused the cooldown of it.
And the change to Morias orb which allowed her to kill Symmetra turrets effortlessly which was only reverted after many complaints.

Then it has been mentioned they tried healing turrets which is is basically changing her core design.

My faith that they know how to play Symmetra well is quite low at point.

I’m going to be extremely disappointed if she becomes more about brute force than playing with brains as that has ALWAYS been her appeal for me.

5 Likes

At least I can start planning learning other heroes around this.

But I will have to see it on the ptr for final judgment.

I can’t wait to play new Sym

Hi Geoff,
I’m GM Symmetra main and I wanted to share my concerns about this design.

First of all, idea with shooting turrets is great, that’s what all of us wanted since beta.
Idea of only 3 turrets that are more powerful and “shootable” is great for teamfights, because at the moment usage of turrets midfight is risky and usually not worth it. It will also increase attack potential of Symmetra by a lot.

But even now i can think of dozens of different scenarios where I’d prefer old 6 turrets with only 1 hp, just because they will be much more effective or even “fun to use”.

I just came up with idea that maybe can bring best of the both ideas into game, here it is:

• Sym turrets now are not limeted by quantity, but instead symmetra has energy bar with 60 energy that she can spend on different types of turrets.
  • Type of turret is decided by the time of casting it (just like her right click works atm)
  • 0 sec charge (10 energy) - Small turret. Just usual turret that we have now.
  • 1 sec charge (20 energy) - Medium turret that have 30 hp each.
  • 2 sec charge (30 energy) - Either large turret or some sort of special turret that I didn’t think about yet.

It also possible to make small turrets impossible to shoot down on the fly to the targeted spot, and larger ones possible.
This will make Symmetra much more versatile and increase amount of different interesting strategies for her, because that’s what we all love Symmetra for.

I’d also like to note that IMO Symmetra’s permanent ultimates is not the best thing in the current state of Overwatch, being too strong on lower ranks and borderline useless on higher ranks. Does Developer team have any plans or Ideas for Symm ultimates?

P.S. Please, please, please keep multiple ultimate idea for Symmetra, this is such fun thing to play with :slight_smile:

7 Likes

3 Turrets with more health and damage :thinking: doesn’t sound like an optimized thing for symm but i guess i’ll have to wait until ptr

1 Like

Been wanting increased turret placement range and now I may get it!!!

i hope you don’t replace her gun like some people are suggesting since its really fun to use,

Thank you for reworking my main, can’t wait to destroy some *** again in Diam’ with my Sym :heart_eyes:

I have to say that while these changes sound exciting, I am disappointed yet again competitive/meta players are being prioritized over more casual players in terms of feedback (its their suggestions that changed Mercy to a viable no-fun tool as oppose to a fun to play character because they don’t want to strategize around the Resurrect ult).

I guess I can live with Sym being a Defense character, please just tell me she will still keep her shielding capabilities in extending her team’s health.

#KeepSymmetraSupport

1 Like

I’m honestly much more interested in what the cooldown of the turrets will be than their raw power. If they stay on a 10-seconds cooldown per turret, this will be mostly a horizontal change. We will lose area coverage for ease of placement (assuming damage/slow scales as if its two turrets).

Knowing if the turret range will stay the same as today or becomes larger will also heavily impact how many moves we can do with the flying turrets.

That is more personal than general, but at least for me, turret upkeep is one of the key aspects I actually enjoy on Symmetra, because it keeps my mind active between fights. I enjoy playing heroes with high micromanaging involved, and I learned to keep track of enemy ultimates and cooldowns for my friends when I’m playing a less intensive hero, like Winston or Moira.

Even the old Photon Shield I was more frustrated with how little +25 HP was than with the need to keep reapplying it. I enjoy those “always busy” archetypes, and Symmetra is pretty much the only hero with this kind of gameplay in the game.

Please, don’t oversimplify her in exchange of raw power. I vastly prefer to having a hundred moving parts that deal 1 damage each than 2 tools that deal 50 damage each (hyperbole, but you get the idea).

4 Likes

That moment when you see Geoff is replying.

http://www.lovethisgif.com/uploaded_images/23599-This-Gif-Pretty-Much-Sums-Up-My-Reaction-What-About-You-Good-People-.gif

5 Likes

So what everyone wanted in the mega thread? Figured as much, since that was a universal consensus amongst us. Now we could move on past the interview issue, which was really not much of a priority since most of us mains didn’t want heals anyway.

Hey Geoff! If you guys are not dead set on moving her to defense yet, I wanted to share my ideas with you! However, I understand wanting to preserve Symmetra as a non-healer and moving her to the Defense category. I am sure either way it will be awesome!

[Symmetra]

1. Photon Repair (Replaces Photon Barrier)
    • Similar to her original Photon Shield ability, but mixed with Brigitte’s “Repair Pack” ability
    • “Photon Repair” heals a single target, and any healing over the ally’s maximum healing provides shields that remain until destroyed by enemy (maximum 75 shields)
    • “Photon Repair” cooldown is 6s
    • Yes it is essentially Brigitte’s ability, but the Shield version, with minor tweaks, but this now provides Symmetra with a healing ability, while still keeping her a “shield-focused” support, just as Brigitte is an “armor-focused” support
  2. Sentry Turrets
    • Increase the maximum amount of turrets in play at once from 6 to 8
    • Remove/Significantly reduce cooldown of Turrets. They are destroyed instantly/one-shotted when attacked, and Symmetra needs to be able to mover her “nest” quickly or she loses some of her viability
  3. Teleporter
    • No longer an ultimate ability
    • A regular ability (E.g. Using Xbox Control Scheme: Click “Right” on the D-Pad and “RT” to place the Teleporter)
    • The teleporter is on a cooldown of 25 seconds
    • The teleporter has a maximum of 3 charges, which Symmetra gains charge for passively over time AND by collecting “Photon Particles” from the deaths of enemies, allies, and herself (Similar to Torbjorn’s Scrap Collector ability)
    • When the teleporter is first deployed, it would have 0 charges
    • When a teleporter has no charge, instead of the teleporter portal being displayed, a red circle with a slash through it would be displayed, indicating no current charges are available
    • The teleporter can still be destroyed, and when it is destroyed, it resets the charges to 0
    • Symmetra can choose to move a teleporter before it is destroyed, however this will then reset the charges to 0
  4. Shield Generator
    • For her ultimate, it will still be shield generator, however 75 Shield HP is not significant enough for a stationary object that can be destroyed, thus the change here would be that the shield generator provides 150HP to all those within a smaller 35 meter radius
  5. Quality of Life Change
    • Allow Teammates to See the Location of her teleporter/shield generator
1 Like

I saw Geoff replying for a second but it disappeared.

Edit: Wait, he’s back.

1 Like

Still going on my end.

1 Like

I agree 100%.

I don’t want a simplified brute force Symmetra that is “More effective” for the masses.
That isn’t what she deserves and I will be extremely disappointed.

Symmetra is an intelligent hero, Her play style should reflect that.
Simplicity over complexity and creativity goes against everything I love about her.

8 Likes

Darn, I was really looking forward to her being a healer, choosing for each turret whether it damages or heals as you place it. Still, most of this sounds like a bit better of a state than where she’s been. I’ve been thinking she’d benefit from some shields on her turrets and I’m glad they’re working to add that and balance it.

Yes. We’re still trying some things but whats working pretty well right now is her primary fire changed to no longer lock on but works as a straight beam that is fairly thick and has increased range. It still has the potential to gain extra damage by dealing damage like it does now, but instead of going 30/60/120 dps it is currently 65/130/195 dps. However, it now takes a combined 2 seconds of damage to ‘level up’ to the next tier of damage instead of 1 second. This means the weapon has significantly more potential but it is more difficult to get it to max power. Also, when hitting a barrier it currently generates ammo instead of consuming it. This means not only is she good at taking down barriers themselves, but she is good at just generating charge off barriers and using that charge to take down enemies as well.

Her alternate fire is still a charge-up large projectile, but it has a bunch of important changes as well. First off, it charges to max charge in 1 second, down from 2 seconds. Next, the projectile speed has increased significantly, currently it has changed from 10 m/s to 30 m/s. Lastly, instead of piercing enemies, it now impacts enemies/environments and explodes, dealing area damage around it. We’ve been heavily iterating on how much damage this ball deals now, but a direct shot has been hovering in the area of 130ish, with a large % of the damage coming from a direct impact (rather then the explosion).

I’ll say it here again, we are still pretty heavily iterating on this stuff so this is all subject to change, but we like to try to give you guys some insight as to whats going on with her rework as it stands today.

79 Likes