Competitive needs backfill

Having a competitive mode without anything in place to help a team recover from a leaver/disconnect is an absolute travesty.

Blizzard needs to add backfill to competitive.

If someone leaves or disconnects from a match, then someone else can load in to take their place.

Have a “reserves bench” system in place for if the disconnected player reconnects (thus allowing for them to avoid the leaver penalty) and give them the option to rejoin the match at the start of a new map.

Make competitive backfill an opt-in system, since not everyone may want to join a match in progress.

Also, as others have suggested, make it so that backfillers don’t lose SR if the match ends up as a loss.

(This wouldn’t be able to be exploited since since you wouldn’t be able to choose to only backfill; when you queue for Comp you’d either get put into a new game or backfill into an existing one at the matchmaker’s discretion.)

Something needs to be done.

Leaving a team to be 5v6, 4v6 or worse in a competitive environment is completely unprofessional and absolutely unnecessary when there is a system in place in other game modes that can be added to competitive to solve the problem.

31 Likes

Uh no because no one wants to end up in a game where they are getting stomped

20 Likes

That’s why it would be an opt-in system.

If you didn’t want to end up in a match like that, then you’d simply choose not to take part in competitive backfill.

But leaving a team to be a player or more down against a full 6 player team in a competitive arena is an absolute joke. It should not be happening. Blizzard need to do more to ensure a fair and even competitive environment.

3 Likes

There has to be an insensitive to backfill though because no one would want to be put in to a game where they are probably being rolled just to lose sr

9 Likes

Did you even read the entire post? He said opt-in.

I’m sick of you people replying with the same babble of “no one would want to do that.” without even reading the OP, not to mention you’re trying to speak for everyone now.

Again, did you even read the entire post? The person got disconnected, he didn’t leave because they were being stomped.

And of course there would be an incentive for a person to backfill. You think Blizzard doesn’t have a brain to think of this themselves?

And the MM system can choose the right person for the backfill out of a pool of people that opted-in for backfilling for their rewards.

8 Likes

Well said, thank you!

I still cannot fathom why Blizzard haven’t added backfill to comp yet. It’s irresponsible of them to provide a competitive mode but then not do everything they can to ensure it’s fair for all, especially when they have backfill in other modes!

3 Likes

Uuuuhhhhhhh wut?

I am genuinely confused.

If not backfill, lessen the loss of SR on the team who suffered a leaver or multiple leavers. It’s a miracle these days to complete a match without someone throwing deliberately or leaving.

6 Likes

I think a cool idea is if you are backfilled in and lose, you don’t lose sr! Can’t really abuse it either since the matchmaker decides. Not like you can only join games that have begun!

4 Likes

You must have a tough life then. Always confused with the simplest of things.

3 Likes

That is indeed a cool idea!

It would definitely make opting in to competitive backfill more appealing.

have none of you guys played QP and got in too a game that is losing hardcore and cant win? it will make comp bad. even if its a opt-in system

6 Likes

Not if it’s added in that backfilling doesn’t lead to loss of SR. As someone suggested, it can’t really be abused because the matchmaker places you. You can’t CHOOSE to backfill. If it was opt-in and you don’t lose SR, I don’t see the problem. Gives people with leavers a better chance, and doesn’t harm the people backfilling a hopeless match.

5 Likes

What threshold would the system allow a backfill? Would you feel it’s fair to bring a higher or lower skilled player into a game because there is nobody that has opted in who would fit the same skill of the player who left. How would you feel being on the opposing team of the team with the leaver and it backfills a player two tiers higher or a t500 player.

Also if it takes 1 to 2 minutes to find a replacement is it even worth it at that point? At what point does the system decide it’s not worth backfilling. Nobody is going to like being backfilled into a game where the defeat screen shows up shortly after. Once that happens enough times to a player they are very likely to opt out.

The only way I can see people opting in is if you offer them no down side. Like if they get put into a game they lose little to no SR for a loss. At that point what is their incentive for trying?

Also what about games where the person left because of toxicity. Nobody is going to enjoy backfilling into a game where everyone is yelling at each other.

How about we ask for a LFG and Clan system with a team based SR comp system rather then the dynamic que because that would solve this issue with little downside. If you have to build a team of 6 people then there is little risk of people leaving your games. All the devs need to do is give us the tools to build teams. They can still have a separate solo que but I’m sure as players get used to playing in full teams that solo que would become less popular.

4 Likes

Let me come into a 0-2 game with a garbage team?

miss me with that backfill crap,

Honestly though, what serious competitive games have backfill?

3 Likes

hmm let my think!

Every team sport on the plant can make swaps mid game why should a digital one wouldn’t allow it.
And he said opt-in LEARN TO READ

4 Likes

Did you not read the post?

I said it should be opt-in.

And someone else posited that backfillers shouldn’t lose SR if the match ends in a loss.

1 Like

Ok. let’s unpack.

EVERY team sport on the PLANT make swaps? No no…
I don’t see Faker going jg in league, or my boy Bischu going dps in OWL. Even if you pull people from bench into a live match, they STILL pause competitive events. Those players are on teams, not 6 dummies missing Pharah with all our fat hitscan.

Also, what is the actual incentive to backfill? People leave by either DC’s or because 6 dummies miss Pharah with all our fat hitscan. Even If you put in a specific queue for just backfill that you’d never lose rank on, how would anyone NOT queue for that. It’s just free wins and SR.

All memes aside, the idea just isn’t viable. I’m also just a little sad because it’s nearly impossible to not leave a game where 6 dummies miss Pharah with all our fat hitscan.

2 Likes

All a clan system would do is further ostracize solo queuers.

Backfill is really the best answer to resolve the problem of both intentional & unintentional leavers in competitive.

Dude you need to learn to read I said sport not e-sport!
And yes freeze the match and try to find back fill and if nothing found let players leave you already have a 2 minute counter before you can leave so freeze the game for 2 minutes instead.
And that’s the point you’ll not always get to back fill and it can be a waste of time if you have limited time to play.
It’s super viable.
And learn to count 6 dummies is the whole team you count the leaver to (i guess you leave games ha) and you don’t have 6 hit scan in the game for Pharah.