Leavers should be penalized harder

We aren’t discussing habitual throwings/leavers. We’re discussing how it impacts people who have done nothing wrong and do not have chronic issues.

This suggests punishing them as if they are as bad as those who do.

Not going to happen no matter how mad you get, sorry. Righteous anger is not inherently RIGHT anger.

He is entitled to whatever feelings he has. If he is frustrated by his experience it’s perfectly fine to express that anger. It’s well earned.

1 Like

They should at least give you increased priority in que if your match gets canceled to lessen wait times

2 Likes

Feelings are always valid. The things that cause them are not. The judgment and actions they cause us to jump to, especially, are not.

Is anger and frustration understandable here? Absolutely

That does not make them a good basis for these poor and, if not unconsidered, then certainly callous suggestions.

If your anger drives you to an idea that causes more harm than the things causing your anger, perhaps that is a red flag

1 Like

Just implement something similar to apple iphone about wrong password:

exponentially increase the ban of comp game period.
First time = 1 day, 2 time = 3 days, 3 times = 1 week…

1 Like

I agree with most of you, and yes, I am angry! And I, WE have the right, to be angry! We payed for a game, a “service”, what we can’t play, because we mostly watch the title screen for hours… It should be Blizzard’s job to fix these problems which all of us have! I know that some leavers are innocent, they don’t want to leave, but have Telekom internet (lol), and the provider “forces” them to leave, haha. Once again, it should be Blizzard’s job to find solutions, we just gave them some options, ideas.

No, they really shouldn’t, because not every leaver does so intentionally.

It’s unfair to people that get disconnected due to unscheduled Internet service interruptions, power blackouts, unexpected hardware failures and the like to even be penalised at all, and you want to penalise them more?

No.

I respectfully disagree. If you don’t have a reliable connection at all, you shouldn’t be playing competitive.

But we all know a better fix to this. Just get one player from the queue to complete the match if someone leaves within 1 minute.

After 1 minute they should/will be farmed for ez sr.

Blizzard implementing this will take a year and a half.

You can have a reliable connection and still get unscheduled Internet service interruptions, power blackouts, unexpected hardware failures, etc.

Yes, the answer to leavers in Competitive already exists in game in other modes - backfill.

I thought general rule is that if you leave, you will be joined with other leavers. I don’t leave and I don’t get leavers. Not in amount that is worth complaining about, meaning - very rare.

For those other problems it shouldn’t be common, so you would be getting one penalty, which would be unfortunate, but I think a 2 strike system would make sense here.

There’s a reason why it is not implemented currently, nobody would like to backfill a losing team. If you get to backfill it would be a guaranteed lost most of time.

It’s not guaranteed at all.

I’d definitely opt in for backfill as I’ve been on the 5v6/4v6/etc teams too often.

I thats why i said “most of time”, of course you could still carry that team to victory, but the general consensus would be that if someone has leaved the current match, it would be because the leaver tough the team was unable to win at all or the team was getting steamrolled. Also the team would be too tilted already.

A 24 hour ban for a one time disconnect when you’ve otherwise never had an issue with disconnecting or leaving all season?

Won’t happen, sorry. I get that people want to crush chronic leavers or people with bad connections that have no business playing comp, but jesus you all are way to eager to upend half the game’s population in your wake.

They did find a solution, there’s just no ideas that have come up since that don’t unnecessarily target innocent parties.

This is purposely misrepresenting what happens to suit your argument. If you are going to argue, at least do so in good faith. A one time service disruption does NOT = unreliable internet. Punishing those people as if they are repeat offenders is irresponsible at best. This is why there have not been stricter changes.

Moreover, competitive backfill is a great opportunity to create an unranked mode. You queue up, you help a team who is down a player (or several) and you get some CP without it affecting your SR

Even if the team gets a troll in this scenario, they were going to lose anyway. I’ll take any % chance of a troll backfill vs a guaranteed loss every time by being down multiple players.

1 Like

My main problem with the competitive overwatch scene is that it is not competitive/respected enough, people get mad if you are a try hard, throw games too easily, queue as dps while having no aim, no sense of team work , reports have no effect etc…

For me competitive is basically its just quick play with extra steps.

Having more strict rules and more hard penalties for leavers (for whatever reason), maybe would make people respect competitive more.

I also think there should be 2 competitive modes, the competitive, and the actual competitive. but thats other topic…

I don’t disagree.

That said, they should be tailored to most affect the target offenders, not churn up innocent parties indiscriminately to satisfy people’s angry vendetta’s against all the leavers who have ever wronged them

A one time leave/disconnect should remain as is. I’m fine with it ratcheting up VERY quickly after that, so long as the one time penalty can reoccur after, say, a couple weeks of having not left/disconnected.

Remove the SR penalty, dramatically increase the time bans in an exponential fashion after a first offense, put all leavers in the same pool together.

Make it so the duration of the ban has to be served in time played elsewhere, not something you can just sit out and wait.

If the consequences aren’t tangible, they won’t discourage the behavior.

That’s where the 2 strike system that I commented above enters (or some other gradual punishment system). But yeah, the devs would take half a year to add this, as they are slow af

I think it depends on how it would be implemented (aside from you being correct that we’d all be retiring by the time blizz added it)

Something like:

SR penalty removed (to avoid deranking)

1st Offense: 30 minute suspension
2nd Offense: 8 hour suspension
3rd offense: 1 week suspension
4th offense: Season ban
2nd Season ban: Permanent ban from ALL competitive modes

All suspensions are time served playing other modes exclusively with other leavers. You cannot simply log out and come back when your suspension is done. Time spent queued counts as time served as i’m sure the queue times would be excessive.

Remove free new accounts on console

Hardware lock an account on a season ban. No buying new accounts to circumvent the punishment. You’d have to buy a new machine entirely.

Tangible consequences.

2 Likes

Jeff you better take notes here…
Although I think that hardware bans are a bit too much and that season bans should be the celling.

But yeah, playing other modes to pay for the time looks like the key here

I’m open to amending this part if there is another solution that prevents a repeat offender from simply buying/making a new account to completely circumvent the punishment.

I don’t know that there is one though, and, as was said above, perhaps people will pay attention and respect competitive mode more seriously if that severe of a punishment waits in the wings.