✅ [2-2-2] Putting RoleQ into Quickplay

If 2-2-2 is coming, as the rumors say, here’s how to do it properly.

As is, Quickplay is the largest playerbase of the game. And contains ALL of the new players. If they want to bring in new players and keep them, it’s gotta be more than an aim training mode for 3x snipers+genji/doomfist. (i.e. the top 5 most popular heroes in quickplay).

Here’s how they could put 2-2-2 into Quickplay, while doing a strict 2-2-2 for Competitive.
(It’s effectively just a highly streamlined LFG without group leaders).

43 Likes

I’d dial back the expectations if I were you.

7 Likes

God that role queue with separate SR for comp makes me so excited.

19 Likes

Damn GreyFalcon, that is some nice UI there.

It may even be more elegant than the UI initial suggests behind the scenes as well assuming that more people QP than comp which means it would have sufficient players to host both role and unlocked queue games.

Perhaps even more interesting would be if they didn’t need to divide the players and instead allowed role locked teams to go against unlocked queue teams.

5 Likes

They already do that now, with locked role LFG.

1 Like

Yeah, I was aware of that, I was trying to point out that there is no need to change it if they did put in 2/2/2 from your proposal :slight_smile: So the ‘sufficient players’ argument can be stopped right there.

1 Like

I’m actually kinda surprised nobody noticed how I snuck an LFG autojoin on the bottom right.

In case people like actual groups that stick around a bit, and talk more.

Even so, it’s going to be hell for DPS players. There’s going to be nothing quick about “Quick” Play, for them.

They could end up with queue times longer than an actual game

Considering the vast majority of Quickplay DPS are “Lol it’s quickplay” Widow/Hanzo/Genji/Ashe/Doomfist.
(Oh scratch that, you got McCree getting more popular, but he’s sniperish so whatever).

I think the second option should be fine for that.

3 Likes

Surely they’d just choose ‘unlocked queue’ if that was the case and get in pretty much right away?

For those that don’t care about having 5 DPS on a team? Sure.

But, for the others, like myself (i play all 3 roles) and are willing to play more for the team? Not so much.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again,
2-2-2/role lock is really only beneficial to Tank and Support mains. It sucks for the rest of us.

(for the record, I’m not trying to start some big argument, just stating how I feel)

Don’t get me wrong, I understand it pretty much benefits tank and support mains the most. But it may not really matter so long as you can still use LFG or queue as a group.

Think about it for a moment.

I like you can play all 3 roles (though only Orisa, Zarya, Hog and Brig outside of DPS) but if I really wanted DPS I’d just queue (selecting DPS) with a support friend or tank friend as the MM would pick them up (and therefore me) almost right away?

yea If it sucks for DPS to play with tanks and supports then why do the selfish instalockers always cry for a shield or a healer?

DPS instalockers got used to abuse the tanks and support players to play solo tank and solo support for them … it’s good that blizzard ends this disaster.

if you think the queue is too long for you then leave the game and enjoy your csgo gameplay … overwatch is a team game and if you are not willing to be a good teammate then just go play COD or Apex.

it would not hurt if half of the DPS instalockers leave so I get faster queue times.

4 Likes

Sounds cool. But not everyone’s lucky enough to have people that they can play with, consistently/constantly.

No, but it may encourage them to look for people like that right? And people looking for others to play semi regularly with may actually be better for the game.

I mean it is just win/win almost no matter what.

Good DPS will be a magnet to tank and support players, bad DPS may need to play a diff role or work on their DPS skills more so they attract people who want to play with them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a problem with people though. Not the system.

I do get what you mean, as I’ve picked DPS when 4 or 5 people already did so, yet, im ususally the only one not spamming “We need a Healer” or asking people to swap.

I never understood that logic. If you want to play DPS, then play DPS. But don’t expect everybody else to play around you. Same goes with any role really.

I don’t really mind being on a team with 3, 4, 5, or even 6 DPS. But, I’m also not the one asking people to switch or spamming “we need a Healer”. I understand that, regardless of what role I pick, that no one is obliged to pick something else based on that pick.

For example, if I pick Bastion, I don’t expect anybody to pick a shield tank or even a Healer. I just want to play Bastion. But, you’re right, there’s a lot of players out there, that would pick Bastion and then expect you to pick Orisa or Baptiste, or whatever. And thats not okay.

While, I see where you’re coming from, one thing I will say is no one’s forcing you to do so. You see 5 DPS? Pick a 6th, if you dont feel like solo-healing. I’ve been both the solo healer (because i wanted to) and the 6th DPS, just depends on my mood.

While this sounds good on the surface, you have to realize that in a 222 scenario, someone has to play DPS.

And while there are selfish DPS instalockers, there are also people like me, that just enjoy playing DPS from time to time. I don’t always want to play tank or support.

And, I disike a system that makes me wait 15+ mins to play a game as a DPS, for one game, after i just spent the last 10 games playing Tank.

I, also, dislike a system that doesn’t allow me to swap roles, when necessary. I don’t like the idea of being punished by a system, because I like all three roles and I’m not a tank or support main. And thats what Forced 222 does, in my opinion

3 Likes

Well there’s a genre of game called a BattleRoyale, which does DPS spam a lot better than Overwatch.

Dunno if people who prefer that playstyle would be players you could easily attract to Overwatch.

1 Like

then perhaps it should prioritize people who actually play support/tank. shorter dps queue times for people who play more than just dps? only in qp though.

2 Likes

I want this in QP and every other mode as well!

1 Like

While I would like that idea, it’s not really fair to those that only play DPS.

Honestly, DPS players aren’t these horrible people the community makes them out to be. Not the majority of them, anyway. They’re just trying to play a game they enjoy.

And, it’s really no surprise that the majority of the player base is DPS. From the way this game was marketed, from the roster size, everything, it really appealed to people who like FPS games, and want to go all “Shooty Shooty Bang Bang”.

Every single person, on the OverWatch team, from the developers to those in charge of marketing, created this DPS player base that they have. And now, they want to punish those same players. Honestly, its not right.

It would have been one thing if Role Queue and Forced 222 were apart of OW, at launch. But, they werent. Blizzard sold this game as a FPS that allowed you the freedom to play whoever you wanted, whenever you wanted. And, now, after three years, they want to go back on that. And im not okay with it.

Honestly, I can understand why this is such a controversial topic. Because, on one hand, you have people that hate those who played DPS, or at least, hate the fact that there’s so many DPS players, in their games. And they want to change that.

On the other hand, you have people who bought and play this game, because of its freedom to do just that. And now the developers are talking about taking it away.

I would be upset too. And, honestly, I am upset about it. Not for quite the same reasons, as I’m not a DPS only player. But I am a flex player and enjoy all 3 roles. And, 222 kills things that i love about this game, including the fact that i could swap roles, mid match, if i wanted/needed to.

So, all these Forced 222 supporters have to forgive me, if im not jumping up and down at the thought of being locked into a single role, all match, and possibly waiting “13 to 26 minutes” (Jeff’s words, not mine) just to get into a match, when i want to play Damage, sometimes.

Because, the reality is, Forced 222 and Role Lock hurts players like me. So, im not all that happy about it. And I know a lot of flex players that feel the same way :man_shrugging: