Barriers ever good against snipers... Really ? When?

I’m thinking of that meme where Hanzo is deciding which button to press with a handkerchief in his hand. One says kill winstons bubble on a 10 second cooldown, and the other says kill winston on a 10 second cooldown.

I figure snipers are more of an annoyance at the ranks I play at, but they define the meta for high tier play.

Even if that meta is “anti-sniper”.

Because they give ability to reposition, especially against Widow. Hiding behind a barrier 24/7 is obviously dumb, but they do give me an opening to move from one wall to the other without instantly dying.

The barrier allows your own non-sniper dps to contest them

1 Like

I know but we’re not at high tier play.

If double shield wasn’t any good (according to what you’ve been explaining so far) and just the least catastrophic way of countering Widowmaker (most of the time unsuccessfully), then you think a nerf is the only way to get something done ?

You’ve never seen a good Winston or Hammond win over a Widowmaker ?

I’m sure there must be some other way and that you’ve just been unlucky with your team. Maybe Diamond rank is less coordinate that what it was once was 2 years ago. I also feel like snipers were really more powerful back in the time since there were a lot more hardcore players (and a bigger population).

How can they contest the enemy Widowmaker if they’re getting attacked in melee by others enemies while they’re close to their ally tanks with shields ?

Plus, Widowmaker is really hard to hit when she’s far from objective. She has a big scope, your DPS don’t, unless you have a really good McCree or Hanzo yourself.

I still don’t get what shields do except buying some time for nothing.

I like to think I know what I’m talking about regardless :slight_smile:

Been focusing on class based multiplayer shooter design for over 15 years.

Including about 40 suggested changes in PlanetSide 1, a tournament server mod for Tribes 1 with 40+ servers and 20+ teams, and some surprisingly coincidental changes in Overwatch.

✅ [2-2-2] Putting RoleQ into Quickplay

GreyFalcon Topic Codex

Fair enough :slight_smile: but then we just happen to have a different point of view and different experiences. I mean, I’m not lying to you when saying Winston is efficient against Widowmaker, at least in my game.

I’m sure you’re not lying either but does it deserve a nerf ? Widowmaker players have suffered enough and I’m not even a DPS main (and Widowmaker used to get on my nerves a lot when I was a newbie on this game).

Congrats’ !

Okay but does this résumé mean you’re inevitably right about nerfing snipers some more on Overwatch ? I don’t how old you are but I’m in my thirties now and I’ve accepted that my golden years in shooter games are behind me.

I accepted the fact that younger people are gonna be more and more skilled and that each generation is going to be better than the previous one while I will become older and older and less good.

Haven’t you ever thought that people like you that struggle against snipers in a game like Overwatch might be a “me problem” instead of a “OP heroes” issue ?

It’s just a thought, I’m not saying you’re bad or anything but people are ageing, it’s a fact.

It’s nice exchanging with you by the way :slight_smile: !

I mean, I’m right, in that it would work and seem to follow along with the design path devs are doing.

But ultimately it’s a matter of opinion about what type of gameplay is most enjoyable, so that’s kinda subjective.

It gives me, as a support, a breathing room. Which means my team gets healed against all the other trash coming our way, so that’s a plus in my book. Also, all the time Widow spends shooting shields and not getting picks is time enemy team is fighting 5vs6.

Hanzo is different, but him I can avoid on my own decently enough. Widow? Without shields? Yeah, no. It doesn’t matter how much she gets harassed if she still gets her initial pick. And as a Mercy main, it’s laughably easy to protect my Widow from any and all attempts by Winston or Hamster.

1 Like

Ok fair enough, If that’s what you think. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and point of view based on what they know and their experience.

I agree. Buffs and nerfs are always about subjectivity on Overwatch anyways. What was once Blizzard’s game (at release) has now become the community’s property in a way, since the members are the ones dictating what should be in the game or not, what is broken or not etc…

It’s just hard to satisfy players that are in a “main hero” logic. Of course no one is happy when their favorite hero is getting nerfed, tweaked or simply made very weak for a lot of seasons.

I guess the PVE mode on OW2 is gonna help. As Jeff Kaplan said “PVE robots can’t use the forums so we can make heroes as OP as we want” or something like this haha.

Thanks for sharing your opinion even though I don’t agree with everything you said.

I guess this topic can now die. It seems like there’s no convincing people that Widowmaker is balanced anyways. These forums are gonna get their nerf sooner or later ^^ !

I guess if snipers become even easier to counter, the game is gonna become less hard in the future which can only benefit me as well :stuck_out_tongue: (it’s a shame for the PVP difficult that’s gonna drop considerably)… I’m glad I’m not playing a sniper though, those neverending nerfs would drive me crazy :smiley: !

Well, if you don’t understand it, thst’s a personal problem

Cause most players play in gold and thats what helps in gold :man_shrugging:

1 Like

There’s also zero headshots or damage boosts.

Also this is video from when Hanzo had 7 arrows with 75 damage.
ie 2 years old video.

Winston has 400hp and 100 armor, he cannot be killed by spamming Storm Arrows into his butt since eternity ago.

1 Like

because widowmaker doesn’t leave spawn in silver

1 Like

Terrible comparison
Even worse than comparing an overloading Torb to Widowmaker

1 Like

Orisa Rein gonna be the new meta. Calling it. Neither of them can get booped, basically, so they’ll be extremely good on any boop maps. Extremely.

1. They walk in straight lines
  2. Silver players are very sensitive
  3. They ignore the Widow the whole match
  4. Barriers (except old Sigma’s) never countered snipers with good positioning
2 Likes

Masters? Please stop trying to argue with the low rank forum hivemind. It hurts the brain after a while.

nice strawman btw.

1 Like

The people who say ignore widow are the same people who say ignore pharahs. If I ignore her, the second we are about to win, a barrage will destroy our butts.

It doesn’t counter them. It just discourages them. So you don’t have to fight it all the time.