"we worked 1 year for the role q"

Sorry I wasn’t clearer, yes, I agree with you. There is a meltdown that happens among any hero release, or event, or major patch, because people are enraged that what they have decided should happen didn’t happen. It’s tiring to see people acting like they were promised things that the devs flat out never said.

The quote I gave above was because I get so flummoxed at people who flip out because “Summer Games is just Lucioball again” and I’m thinking, “I mean… yes? That’s what Summer Games has always been?”

3 Likes

Were you actually around the forums when everyone was losing their marbles over the “talon archives event?” I had to make a copy pasta of the current lore for each thread explaining how it was literally impossible for a talon event to occur and then on top of that how any team outside of the one we got was also impossible. That was a disturbing time seeing how in denial people were.

That exactly as well. Like…why are people surprised we aren’t getting a new Halloween thing either? There is no beating Overwatch DnD sessions with Rein as the DM. No way.

1 Like

Yep. And aside from the fact that there were no indications that it would be a Talon event, the suggested storyline that people were hoping for/expecting was, uh, pretty disturbing.

If you know better, why not apply to Blizzard?

OW isn’t the only game that takes long to implement “simple” things, especially when matchmaking is involved. There are so many other things you have to look out for when even tweaking it just a bit.

The fact that people thought Widow, Sombra, Doom, and Moira was a valid team for a horde mode event was disturbing enough lol

Well, I had been making RoleQueue ideas for the past 8 months.

I put one up about a month ago that’s nearly exactly what we ended up getting.

✅ [2-2-2] Putting RoleQ into Quickplay

The “Quickplay Classic” portion is critical for making RoleQueue work for Quickplay, without excessive DPS queue time issues.

1 Like

I’d imagine they more than likely recycled some elements of LFG to use it in the code, but the coding aspect of changing the match maker completely while not borking event game modes and arcade ones as well would take a LOT of time.

Coding isn’t easy at all. Took me a month to make a simple text adventure with different “rooms” :sweat:

That and if one line of code is wrong, the entire thing is borked. Thats the struggle of coding right there.

1 Like

I can’t tell you how many times there was a single :/; or a ]/} that ruined many projects for me in college

Because even if you work for Blizzard, unless you’re on the gameplay design team, you wouldn’t have much impact on the gameplay design.

It’s like wanting to go into Hollywood, and expecting them to take your guidance on how to direct a movie.

And even if that works out, you’d be underpaid/overworked, with less job security.

Not to mention, you’d be shouldering a majority of the hopes and dreams of a 35 Billion dollar company, that can’t afford another disgraceful stock loss…

1 Like

Programming in general is not like the workshop. First, you need the knowledge, which is obvious. Second, you need to come up with an idea of what you want to do if you’re programming a game/app. Third, you need to split your time correctly and pay close attention to what you’re typing in, because 1 line can make a critical issue in the code/specific algorithm you’re trying to make. If you don’t split your time correctly, you’ll get exhausted at some point so you’re gonna make more mistakes and the code will be poorly written and won’t work properly.

Although I dislike the rate in which we’re getting new patches, it’s still better to wait a month or 2 for the next patch. It gives you more time to adapt to the balance and feeling of the game post patch, and it gives more room for the next patch to be a high quality patch (although it doesn’t usually happen and we don’t really get that many great patches, but still).

1 Like

And you’re their target consumer. Easily fed bullcrap and will digest and believe it no matter what.

I know my dude I agree with everything you said

:woman_shrugging: Absolutely trusting a company i know has experience over people that have no experience is not the same thing as trusting everything they say or do, but good job on you for completely missing the point and just seeing an opportunity to crap on someone you don’t agree with. :wink:

3 Likes

I currently study C# at highschool haha, I know what it’s like to have your code having critical mistakes or simply just not working as intended.

2 Likes

watch out buddy, this is the forums. If we raise our expectations to unreasonable levels its the devs faults for not following throw.

I actually 100% agree with you most of what you’ve said so far in this post. Sadly the forums will never except that anything is good and shall always complain about the smallest details

OMG THE NEW HERO DOESN’T REPRESENT MY MINORITY, FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY
OMG THE GAMES BALANCE ISN’T GOING IN THE WAY I WANT IT TO, FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY
OMG I DIED TO A STRAY HANZO ARROW, NERF IMMEDIATELY
as a few examples

Have a good day! You don’t see many people actually put forth good arguments these days

1 Like

I’d say a few months because RoleQ is still in testing and has a lot of bugs

The confirmation bias is strong in this one.

1 Like

Their word versus your word? Do you really want the answer to that question?

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

They did not simply splittet SR in 3 seperate categories, the rewrote the whole system.

This means, what data get tracked, how to derive meaningful information out of it, it can even mean rewriting parts of the engine if they use something like routes, positioning etc as data.
The amount of contextual Data per match is insane.

You could say at least 1/3 of the games code is Matchmaking
It takes long, very long to develop such a complex system, test it, fine tune it.
If it goes live and it’s not working as intended it will cause serious problems in the long term

Any developer will tell you that

1 Like