Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

yeah I could play fine until the hotfix yesterday…with high res assets enabled from the start

This specifically has been reported to double GPU utilization and increase GPU temps to their throttle point, unless you have FPS capped at ~60.

I have it downloaded and my GPU still runs hot only when Inventory is open.

PC Sounds like a Jet Engine - Technical Support - Diablo IV Forums (blizzard.com)
High res and all of the other things you listed are not resolving this. The Thread link above has all of the system specs and game settings listed.

I thought it was just me but I guess not. It has been happening for at least a day or two now. Every time I open the UI for a merchant, inventory, you name it the game freezes for 5-10secs. It only happens when some overlay is going on too. Getting to be more than annoying.

EDIT: My GPU has been showing 0% since the problem started. Felt GPU fan to make sure was active and it was. Started up Steam to see if my GPU numbers would rise or stay the same and they are up so something is going on with the game. Even got the latest Nvidia driver from May 30th.

1 Like

Whenever I use my inventory or speak to a vendor ingame my GPU usage and temperature skyrockets to semi dangerous lvls. Normaly the temp stays around 52-55 degrees celsius, but skyrockets to 78-80 when the inventory / vendor / Blacksmith menu is openend. It legit makes me afraid of opening my inventory / salvaging items etc. Pls fix…

You can bandaid fix it by Capping your FPS below 120. This is becoming a very well documented issue that Blizzard is not acknowledging.

4 Likes

Hey everyone,

We want to try and start gathering some specific information on this.

Please collect the following information:

Then send them in an email to TechInfo@Blizzard.com

Please include:

Subject: Diablo IV - Vendor/Inventory Performance Issue.

Also include if this happens on all characters or specific ones:

Any other menus the issue happens on:

The specific details of what happens for you. (Increased GPU fans, Freezing, Crashing. Etc…)

Any other details you can think of.

7 Likes

Could you please Pin all of the [Main Threads]? It would help reduce duplicate threads from forming and be easier to check up on them.

5 Likes

Been through all that, no solution.

1 Like

I can’t explain why but after a bunch of trial and error the magic fix for me was making max foreground FPS =115 and max background FPS=70. Anything higher or lower and the issue persisted. I included this in my email to them

1 Like

It’s obviously a UI optimization problem. I have aggressively undervolted my GPU and while it reduces overall wattage on my 3080 from 320watts to 190watts in things like dungeons + open world, etc., it does NOTHING for anything related to UI such as vendoring/inventory. 190watts —> 300 watts just by opening an inventory screen.

My cooling is optimal, so luckily I don’t have an issue with it thermal-wise, but my wife also plays and our power has gone out THREE times now because we hit a huge spike in wattage when we go to vendor after a dungeon. Fix this now.

4 Likes

I had this problem but find out fix.

If Your laptop/PC die due to that voltage spikes that game caused the problem do not exist anymore.

I was playing at low.
Cool laptop with added cooler.

h ttps://www.morele.net/laptop-dream-machines-g1650ti-15pl50-6684809/

Do You know any fix that will revive laptop?
Downloading high res. texture will not help and laptop is after warranty since half year.

Talking to npc killed it.

“My cooling is optimal, so luckily I don’t have an issue with it thermal-wise, but my wife also plays and our power has gone out THREE times now because we hit a huge spike in wattage when we go to vendor after a dungeon. Fix this now.”

Also text above. Tell me more it is my problem and Your game does not couse it.

Any compansation?

In another thread, on this topic, I stated the easiest solution:

Limit the update rate of the 3D elements in the menus or give an option to make them non-animated.

Instead of letting them try to render at the same speed as the rest of the game, only update them at like 30-60fps or give an option to limit them (like they did for cutscenes). The problem is that these characters are being rendered with what looks like the same full suite of features as the rest of the game, in terms of lighting and shadows, and are also at very high resolution+quality. So basically, the game is rendering the game world scene, plus the extra stuff in the menus like your character. If you’re playing at high refresh rates, like 144hz, this is going to add a ton more load on the system since it’s basically rendering multiple scenes every frame.

I even threw together a quick UE5 demo exaggerating what I’m talking about, under the assumption that they are using render targets to pull off the 3D elements in the UI. I went back and expanded a little on the demo with a bit more to it to further showcase what I’m talking about:

https://imgur.com/mpueZRb

66w with no menu
72w at 15fps updates (9% increase vs no menu)
95w at unlimited updates (44% increase vs no menu)

This is why a lot of other games won’t render super high quality 3D frames like this. They usually do some cheap stuff where they are unlit or are missing shadows and such, or they cover the whole screen so that they can stop rendering the game world and focus on rendering the menu with 3D elements in it.

8 Likes

You mean your nonsense bandaid solution? We should not have to cap FPS at a measly 60 just because of the Inventory window.

The fact they they are gathering all this data means you were wrong this entire time.

1 Like

You are so unbelievably obtuse. Obviously we “shouldn’t have to” - but look at the facts of what’s happening and why. You can either complain about it, knowing full well how to mitigate it right now, or shut up and deal with the spikes.

By the way, everything Dauntless has said is 100% correct (I read the entire other thread).

LOL. No, I will continue to complain about it because it’s clearly not intentional design. Complaining about it is what causes change. They even opened up an official support for it.

There’s a difference from mitigating something and gimping your experience when you shouldn’t have to.

2 Likes

How do you not know it was not intentional? It doesn’t matter whether it was or wasn’t. I don’t even know what point you’re trying to make

You are now the one being intentionally obtuse. When the entire game runs perfectly fine with stable temps and fan speeds on Ultra/High settings, but opening the Inventory causes it to ramp up to the thermal limit then that is clearly an outlier and not intentional. The fact it continues to ramp up even with lowering every setting means there is something wrong. This is not a GPU intensive game where the entire game will hover around 45% utilization for me, but onpening the inventory is the only time it throttles?

It does and Blizzard is clearly taking it seriously now, because of the many of us being vocal about it.

Clearly.

I feel like I’m in an infinite “why?” loop with a 6-year-old. You keep saying “it shouldn’t do this, it should do that” - no one is disagreeing. Obviously, if it didn’t do the things we didn’t like it to do, that would be cool!! lmao

Also, Dauntless couldn’t have been more precise in explaining everything that goes into UI design and what may or may not have happened during the building process. My wife also works on UI design and is very well versed with UE and she also confirmed everything he said. For you to come here and complain about his “nonsense band-aid” solution is so ignorant.

2 Likes

Then stop engaging with me. Lmao. This is a public forum and I can complain if I feel there is an issue.

Limiting FPS to 60 is masking the underlying issue. Why even allow higher FPS or uncapped if this was designed?

When the Inventory is open the GPU is increasing wattage substantially and heat is rising specifically in memory.

That’s hilarious coming from you.

1 Like

Several users are also dealing with CPU related thermal spikes, which seem to be happening under similar circumstances. Any visibility from Blizz on this?

2 Likes