PC Crashes to black screen and fans spin up to max. Only in Diablo IV

Same issue here. Just started after the patch. Did some updates to my hardware this weekend as well. Thought that could be the problem. However it’s only with D4. Have tried removing the hd assets, reinstalled the game completely. Still get black screen with audio, and have to hard reset the PC. Was happening yesterday in the middle of dungeons or running around town. Now I launch the game and it happens instantly. No temps or usage outside or normal.
I7 13700k
Rtx 4080
1000w evga Gt power supply
32 gb ddr5 ram running at 5600mhz
Running driver version 536.67

2 Likes

I have the same issue with a 3070. Does anyone find the solution? I tried almost everything… is it the GPU or PSU? Only doing that with d4 :confused:

2 Likes

Same issue here. Constant crashes on my PC to black screen. These only began after the July 7 1.0.4 hotfix. Temperatures seem fine, also rocking a 3070. These crashes only occur in connection with D4.

My drivers are up-to-date, I’ve tried repairing Diablo 4 multiple times, I have done a clean re-install, I’ve disabled high-res assets, etc.

To the extent there is additional information I can provide, I would be happy to do so. It is so disappointing to randomly be unable to play this game. Gave up on hardcore after crashing shortly into loading into a dungeon at 70.

For what it’s worth, the crashes all appear to occur in close proximity to changing zones, whether manually (e.g., right-clicking a zone entrance) or using town portals/waypoints.

1 Like

Certainly seems to be a NVIDIA driver issue. The screen going black and fans revving up whilst audio is playing is clearly a driver crash that happens when the drivers fail to reinitialize after crashing. It’s seldom nowadays, but it happens.

Monitor your ram usage. If you use ultra textures it’s normal to start out at 90% VRAM “usage” just by starting the game as it allocates it (22.5GB for my GPU just by starting it). But keep watching so it never rises above the allocated amount. If so you have memory leaks and need to try lower settings, reinstalling drivers, rolling back drivers etc.

1 Like

I have the exact same issue but seemed to fix it. I have a 10k setup and yet I get black screened. So i had to uncheck high-res in modify instal. Then had to cap my FPS to 60 (but anything over is not needed as D4 caps at 60.) turned down all my graphics (which i shouldn’t even have to do.) Finally it’s playable. It’s nothing to do with drivers, everything is up to date. I check daily. I can run RDR2 on max settings with 200fps. SO it comes down to poor optimization on D4’s part. Most likely due to it being a console game as well.

1 Like

I’m also having this issue! Computer runs fine on everything else. I am however playing MW2 so its definitely on the Blizzard/Activision side of things. My issue started happening right after the last update.

I checked power, made sure my GPU was seated ok and not having issues with being mounted vertical vs horizontal. Cleaned interior, fans, and radiators. Updated all firmware. Tried to roll back firmware. Tried to turn off overclocking. Tried turning up fans speeds. Checked for a loose connection and nothing helps and it just happens randomly with no rhyme or reason.

My pc is a Asus ROG Strixx 790, intel i9 13900k 13th gen, EVGA Supernova gold 1300w power supply, kingston 32gb 6000mhz ram, and an Nvidia 4090.

Computer never exceeds 43°c. Hopefully someone finds a temporary fix until something is figured out.

1 Like

Well I did a couple of things and it hasn’t crashed for the past 24 hours at least:

1. Change D4 DLSS settings from DLAA to Ultra High
  2. Change from Windowed Fullscreen to Windowed

These are just suggestions people made on Reddit because there seem to be a lot of folks with Nvidia RTX 4080 and 4090s that can easily run other higher load games but not D4. I don’t think it’s a hardware issue because it only happens with D4 and only since the last patch. Never had an issue with any other game, and never with D4 until the patch to start Season 1.

Particularly after the last D4 patch, I wonder if they pushed through some performance stuff that is causing those of us with higher end cards to have issues with D4. I never had an issue before the last patch. In my specific case, my black screen and fans were happening when the load on the GPU was very low, like in town, or opening inventory, or just moving around in the world.

EDIT: Just had my first black screen and full fans in D4 after 24 hours of no issues. This time it was just after opening the game. I’m now thinking of rolling back my NVIDIA drivers to May 30 when I know I definitely had no problems during the launch and pre-season 1. If it still doesn’t work I will give D4 a break and come back to it after six months or when hopefully things have been fixed, whatever/whoever is causing the issue. It’s not really playable in this state anyway and I don’t want to waste more time getting it to work.

1 Like

Hey everyone.

Just had the same happen to me but I run an AMD system.

Ryzen 5800
Rx 580

After restart my display would not turn on which makes me believe this is a drivers issue.

1 Like

Same… Can we get some support on this?

1 Like

Nah there won’t be any fix, instead Blizzard mods will just come and close the thread as their support is beyond garbage which happened to the vendor issue in the following thread, after over 30k views. They try to silence rather than fix, great great job Blizzard, same old shiz, different day:

1 Like

Update: The problems have gotten worse over the last week or so to the extent the game is functionally unplayable. I am lucky to get through a single nm dungeon, or to do more than one malignant tunnel in a row. I have stopped playing to my great disappointment, and am really hoping tomorrow’s patch addresses some of these issues.

Regardless, after religiously paying attention to GPU performance as I do everything from load zones to walk a hundred feet, a few more stray observations in case it helps nail this down:

• GPU generally does not rise above 70º (but is usually in the 60s)
  • Dedicated GPU ram hovers around 7 of 8 GBs (but usually hovers in the 6-7 range)
  • Crashes do not correlate to increased activity on screen (e.g., just as likely to crash walking in an empty room as I am walking into a hall full of elites)
  • Closing Diablo IV in between content (whether a miraculously completed nm run or malignant tunnel) and relaunching doesn’t seem to reset the “timer” before the black screen arrives. For example, if crashes are occurring every 15 minutes, and I relaunch D4 after a 10 min nm run, I can expect another crash in 5 or so minutes.
  • The weirdest observation is that the crashes seem to occur more frequently on the weekend/ as the weekend approaches. I have no explanation for this. I’m level 81 on my seasonal character, so there are obviously times where I can play relatively uninterrupted by crashes. But the last two weekends have been a disaster. The game is only playable in 10-15 minute increments, and I cannot imagine that hard-resetting my computer four times an hour is doing it any favors and ruins the gameplay experience regardless.
  • When logging in after a crash, I would sometimes be in weird areas out in the wilderness—sometimes near where the crash occurred, sometimes in inexplicable spots—as opposed to a town. Maybe this is standard, but I was under the impression from previous play that the game always loaded you on log-in into a town.

Please let me know if you have thoughts on what other data might be helpful for Blizzard. Can still confirm that I do not have this issue with any other games. I am literally happy to provide whatever to help get this resolved. I just want to play this game :frowning:

Yes, but, what are your GPU Hotspot and GPU VRAM temps reaching? These are the critical factors that affect the card.

Sounds random then, which is reacting to a hardware fault. (a condition that the hardware doesn’t like being in) This means it has encountered a heat related issue, a power related issue, or some other operational condition it hates, so it saves itself by powering down and kicking fans to full.

You may need to examine the card for dust and that its fully seated, make sure you have the proper amount of power (or more than it needs) make sure its cable(s) is/are connected correctly, and run temp monitoring on all the card sensors it has. Not all cards monitor VRAM temps, but all should have a Hotspot temp. This will be close to the VRAM temps usually. HWMonitor can monitor these things.

As for things to do:

• Lower the FPS cap.
  • Lower the graphic settings.

Use a 3rd party app (Afterburner) to manage the card and use it to:

• Increase the fan speeds or adjust the fan curve to be more aggressive in cooling the card
  • Lower the power limit of the card. You can also use it to lower the voltage as well, but often just lowering the power limit will work. Please note, not all cards are fully supported, especially lower priced models.

Thank you for the prompt response. I’ll try to get info on the GPU Hotstop and GPU VRAM temps, in addition to checking out Afterburner.

As for the other suggestions:

• FPS cap is at 60
  • Graphics settings (“Quality Preset”) are at medium (Card is a 3070)
  • HDR is off
  • NVIDIA DLSS is off
  • I’ve tried turning anti-aliasing off to no effect.
  • I’ve tried messing with the fans curves, including keeping them at 100% nonstop (which I recognize is not sustainable, but figured might rule out fan issues).

Regardless, extremely bizarre that betas and first month or so of release I never experienced this issue. I don’t know what could have possibly changed since then except: Diablo 4 itself or my GFX drivers, which I have been keeping up to date. (Regardless, it looks like AMD users are also having issues.)

UPDATE
I downloaded HWMonitor. Stats from playing one nm dungeon, followed by a malignant tunnel (where I black screen crashed). I was monitoring stats every few seconds, so I’m hoping this is representative of what was going on right before the crash. Regardless, stats were pretty consistent throughout. (If there is a better way to see precisely what was happening before the crash, I’m all ears. Really trying to explore all options here.

Hotspot

• Hotspot temp was usually around 10-12 ºC higher than GPU temp (normal temps ranged from the mid 40s to 70s)
  • Hotspot temperature, at its highest, was 86.7 ºC

Fan RPMs

• Fans spun around 1000 to 1500 RPM.
  • Fans spun, at their highest, at 1951 RPM

Memory Utilization

• Memory utilization appears to be around 95.8%, peaking at 97.2%

Power Utilization

• Power usage for the GPU was hovering around 40-50 W during the dungeons. It did hit a peak of 218.09W
  • CORE power utilization hovered around 25-40 W, but maxed out at 419.00 W.

I run a 3070Ti here (MSI Gaming X trio). Bolted to a 12900k, and 32GB of DDR5 though with a high speed NVME and powered with a 1200W PSU.

I have recently moved up to a 1440p monitor (32" curved from MSI with 165hz). Went from a 24" Gsync HD monitor running solid 144FPS at High, to running nearly solid at Ultra at 100FPS with only slight dips occasionally, but no crashes or complete stalls. Temps stay between 55-60 on the GPU, and top out around 78 on the VRAM, even when at vendors. But I’m running a custom fan curve on the card with Afterburner. Also using DLSS on Quality, with Ultra at defaults, no customizing and running the HD assets.

I would have to say, there might be a cause in your case to examine cooling efficiency. Its possible that it could have simply built up dust in the card too.

You could try using an earlier driver instead.

Go back to a version before 535 and see if that helps.

Can’t overstate how much I appreciate all the help.

I’m holding out a tiny bit of hope that some of the performance fixes and crash fixes mentioned at last campfire chat resolve this. If not, I’ll try rolling the drivers back, doing a deep clean (although things admittedly look pretty pristine in there; I have a tempered glass side on the case), and seeing if I can do anything on the cooling front.

After that, might just have to appreciate the 3070’s eight months of service and move on to a new card.

Thanks again for your help!

I see some people have mentioned capping FPS but has anyone capped “all” of the options? There is foreground FPS, background FPS, and cutscene FPS. I would suggest enabling them all.

Also, drivers have been mentioned multiple time but it seems only gpu drivers. Check for any chipset and audio driver updates also.

I don’t know if this will help many people but it’s always worth checking on any game that crashes with no logs.

The only thing I can think of with more crashes on the weekend is a power issue at your house. Are you using a decent power plug surge protector for your PC? This game has issues with power spikes especially if you open your inventory or vendors as well as if you run Nvidia Reflex(Turn that off) as that setting causes high power usage on your card. Maybe when your power hits a certain point your Surge protector/plug wonks out and causes your GPU to shut off.

Try these:

1. Disable Nvidia Reflex
  2. Use MSI Afterburner and set your power limit % to like 60-75% this will lower the GPU power draw and lower temps at a slight performance hit.
  3. Buy a good surge protector maybe yours is wonky when the power load is higher at your house/area.

You can do whatever you want, it’s not going to change a thing because it’s not your hardware.

Do some of you actually think before posting?

Like, has it occured that it might actually just be the damn game?
A power issue??? So the power issue only shows up whenever he’s playing diablo IV?

He’s suffering from the vram/ram leak like many others, which has been awknowledged since open beta, but somehow still seems to ruins people experience.

Check other crash related topics and you can quickly conclude it affects a wide scope of setups, some on the edge of requiring upgrades to those that are the best high end setups you’d want. They all play games exceptionally well, but somehow diablo IV seems to cause problems and that is all their own fault, or their harware.

The ONLY thing that can fix this is the company itself, and I’m not really looking with optimism towards that since every damn patch just makes it worse instead

Edited for Language by the Moderation Team.
Forum Code of Conduct

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.