[Resolved] Save your GPU, cap your FPS even with high-end models

TLDR: Cap FPS to 120 or lower.
Edit: Technical Support thread is now pinned and Blues are actively gathering data.
Edit 2: Lowering your GPUs power to 80% seems to be helping maintain more stable temperatures.
Edit 3: Seems like the Major Patch that was released resolved the high GPU power usage while having the inventory/vendor window open.

There are a growing number of reports of people’s GPUs being fried. I understand that there has to be a pre-existing fault with the GPU for the failsafe to not prevent damage. However, the game is consistently attempting to push components beyond acceptable ranges.

There are currently a dozen threads about the Main Menu and in-game Inventory window pushing GPU utilization to 80-90% and ramping up temps to the throttling point. This is where faulty GPUs became fried because they didn’t throttle and/or the fan controller was not functioning properly. However, the Inventory menu should not be this hardware intensive and stressing GPUs.

Idling without Inventory open has stable temperatures and fan speeds.

Large encounters with movement, shadows, lighting, spell effects, particles, ect has stable temperatures and fan speeds.

*The only time this happens is in the Main Menu and the Inventory window. *

This issue does not happen with the Boon or Talent Tree window. Which means it is not an overlay issue. The only constant is the Character Model rendering.

I have tested this with multiple settings while monitoring my CPU and GPU temperatures and fan speeds. The only thing that helps is capping your FPS. Even at 120, my GPU will ramp up.

Blue’s latest response:

30 Likes

Interesting. Hopefully they can find and fix the problem if there is one. On my 4070 ti, I do not experience any of this. There is about a 30 fps drop from having the inventory window open but at 200+ fps it’s not even noticeable. I also tend to just keep my fps capped at 120 fps and it barely uses 15 to 20% of the 4070 ti with temps so cool, 40ish range, that the fans stay off a good portion of the time…

I also play with frame gen and dlss set to dlaa.

1 Like

You could be fine, but you could also not have noticed if you didn’t know to look out for it.

Try:
Capping FPS at 145 or uncapped
Open Inventory and let it stay open
Monitor GPU temps and fan speed making sure D4 is in the foreground.

I hope your system is exempt from this, but this has been reproducible by many other players.

Can confirm all of this, and it took 3 times of my power going out to realize what was causing it. My wife and I both play together and we noticed it always happened after a dungeon and we went to vendor all our items…

My CPU/GPU temps are actually quite good, but my cooling is extreme - what’s important is the wattage. While vendoring, my 3080 (even with DLSS on) will hit a constant 340 watts at High and Ultra textures, and 320 at Medium. This is also with an aggressive undervolt on my card…pretty insane.

Like you said, even during intense battles in huge groups with spells and animations all over the place, I hit maybe 220watts on Medium or High textures.

Obviously, the easiest Band-aid for this is to put an aggressive cap on foreground FPS, but c’mon, should we really have to do this? This is obviously a massive oversight in UI optimization and hopefully it can be addressed.

9 Likes

They are finally looking into it, but are asking us for info if you want to submit yours.

2 Likes

Thank you for this post.
I was going to look into it for myself.

The "Inventory"is one of the culprits haha! That’s where I spend far far too much time poring over stats.

What I find incredibly funny is:
So I had a gpu issue and was waiting for a new one.
Meanwhile: This game ran FLAWLESSLY - zero issues - with an onboard 8gb AMD gpu chip.
Yes everything was set to “potato Low” settings and looked terrible - but I could play with no problems.
I was actually wondering what all the commotion was about.

Then I installed my new gfx card.
Crashes, problems, system ram overloading(or so it seemed, idk not a tech guy).
I put all my setting to MEDIUM - though it can handle higher.
I’ve crashed over a dozen times.
Some quite scary.

Thanks again - I’ll monitor this thread - please update it OP as things (hopefully) move forward and are addressed!

Quick Question:
Should I have installed the High Res package - even if I’m not going to utilize it?
I recall reading some discussion about something or other, problem this or that without it…again not tech savvy at all. :roll_eyes:

Regards,
MC

You should always cap your Fps to the number your screen can manage. Everything else is just a waste of energy.

8 Likes

My screen is 144hz and the 3080 can’t handle the Inventory window on 145 Capped FPS at 1080p without hitting the thermal limit regardless of how low you put the graphics settings. This is clearly not as intended.

1 Like

Interesting read.
Funny thing is I never had any issues on any of the betas except the server slam.
I was invited to the endgame beta no problems 2-3 crashes
Open betas both where fine
Server slam every time I was to vendor anything mouse over an item within 30 sec game closed with an error.
So got the early access pretty much the same happened. Vendor inventory open trying to sell stuff game crash.
Made some adjustments in settings and windows and it have been alot better now it only crashes very rarely.
Last night Hc 25 - 35 not one crash.

GTX1080
16gig ram
1440p
average cpu temp 58 - 68 highest
average gpu temp 62 - 82highest guess that is the point when it collapse.

I noticed this when i opened the game so it was on the main menu and went to make some food. I just started to hear the fans going crazy, GPU temps at 85 this is with a 4080 card which has overkill cooling because they use the same as a 4090.

I play at 4k and i have capped my FPS at 144 with DLSS Quality enabled just so it wont stress my GPU too hard, because playing normally without DLSS it will just completely max out the 320W the card is locked on constantly.

I bet it would still happen if you bumped it down to 1080p. That’s how much of an issue this is and is what happens on my RTX 3080.

1 Like

Looks like the remaining 3080’s that had the manufacturing bug discovered initially during New Worlds launch are finally coming out of the woodworks.

It was all over the media then, hopefully its not too late to get a replacement card from the manufacturer. They were giving them out then, but that was well over 15 months ago.

And yes, its a hardware manufacturer issue. Cards are supposed to automatically adjust to lower temps or just completely shut down when they get too hot.

3 Likes

This is clearly not the issue when it is reproducible across GTX, RTX 30xx and 40xx, and AMD cards.

The world is not black and white where things need to be this or that. There are two issues at play here. The people with bricked cards had hardware faults, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t also a game issue.

1 Like

Meanwhile you can drop certain graphic settings and your temp will drop by 20-30 degrees Celsius, game still look great. You do need to cap your fps tho, at all time, whatever the game unless you try to sync it with your high refresh rate monitor.

Which settings do you drop?

It’s true this game puts load on your graphics card and if you have one of these defective or badly designed ones putting heavy load on it could indeed cause it to fail.

Limiting to your monitor refresh rate at most you should do anyway so as not to waste power, generate pointless heat and just puts extra wear on the card for objectively zero gain.

I’d argue above 60 is not noticeable gain for most people’s eyes.

3 Likes

60 to 120 is pretty noticeable imo, I guess it might also depend on the type of game which might make the differences more pronounced.

But yeah, capping FPS seems to be the only thing that seems to help with this.

Well you have a different issues then. I also play on an RTX3080, and I can reach 165 FPS almost perfectly stable on a 165 Hz screen.

And the power limit on my RTX 3080 is set to 70%, with an average power usage of 220 Watts on the GPU. I am not even close to the thermal limit of the GPU.

I play at UW-QHD with all in game settings maxed out and DLSS at balanced.

I have no issues maintaining 145 or even higher with stable temps, with the one exception of the Inventory being open.

Even if you don’t hit the thermal limit, try keeping your Inventory open and watch your resource monitor. I bet your GPU utilization will rise significantly more than any other point of the game as well as temps. Make sure your game is in the Foreground when you do this.

Finally a reason to be happy I only have a 60Hz screen.

2 Likes