CPU Temps Randomly Fluctuating

I have a Ryzen 9 5900x that typically sits around 65c max during gaming under a NH-D15. Have had zero issues with my set-up in the past, until D4.

Every few minutes (anywhere between 1 minute to 5) it’ll randomly spike to almost 80c for just a second or two before going back down to usual temps. Doesn’t seem to matter where I am or what I’m doing.

CPU usage is never higher than 20-25%, and does not change during the temp spikes.

Performance is otherwise fine, but it’s very jarring having my case fans go haywire intermittently like this. GPU temps have so far been normal.

This did not happen during the Beta or Server Slam.

13 Likes

Yes, had this problem on laptop. Randomly he was turning fans to max for a second. But now there is no problem. How? He died durning game. I made a topic.

2 Likes

Bump - spoken to multiple people about this on the discord that are all having the same issue

6 Likes

Same here, CPU overheating problem.

Several full pc crashes since launch. NVIDIA Reflex turned off, frames capped at 144 HZ (monitor rate), low settings make little difference. CPU usage low, only temperature high, GPU fine.

Running AMD Ryzen 3900X, NVIDIA RTX 3080, 32 GB Ram. Win 11.

Wondering if anyone else had had/solved similar issues. Help!

1 Like

I have the same problem. Running on an 7950X3D. It usually sits around 55-60 but spikes to mid 70 (sometimes close to 80) every few minutes. Seems to happen regardless of what I do in-game, as well.

4 Likes

Same here. Random CPU temps spikes on a fairly low-demanding game.

And of course the GPU also goes crazy when opening inventory and vendors.

7 Likes

Same, 7950x3d running at 55-60 but spikes to 80 every minute or two for a couple of seconds. Cpu usage/wattage stays the same during these moments. Highest Spike was 84 when the room was hot. That’s a good 10-15 degrees hotter than ive seen after any gaming session with this cpu and that includes many high demanding games.

6 Likes

Im seeing alot of ryzen cpu reporting this issue

5 Likes

same issue here my temp of my 7800x3d ramp up for no reason (65-70°C max) then go back to normal around 55°C

4 Likes

Are you able to link to where else this is being reported? Trying to keep my eye on as many threads as possible.

3 Likes

Same here.
Ryzen 7800X3D , Geforce 4090.

Normal temperature ingame is around 50-55… But spikes every 1-2 mins to ~70 for no reason. Thought its my hardware, but it seems its a known problem.

7 Likes

Bumping this again - any kind of acknowledgment from Blizz that they’ll at least look into this would be appreciated.

3 Likes

i also have a 7800x3d and I am facing the same issue with CPU temps spiking every couple minutes from ~50C to +80C. Chipset drivers, bios and Windows(11) are all up to date.

Tested other games like Warhammer DarkTide and they run fine without any temp spikes. Diablo 4 definitely seems to be an issue with AM5 processors :frowning:

5 Likes

I am noticing the same temp spikes with my 5600x. Spiking from 50°C to 70°C and than back to normal

2 Likes

I’m having same issue with my brand new ryzen 9 5900X. Temp is usually 54-60c then it spikes up every 3-5 minutes to 73-75c for 5 second and than back to normal. This is happening since early acces.

2 Likes

oh and I forgot to mention that this temp spike also always happens when first starting the game and the Diablo 4 title is being displayed across the screen.

1 Like

I also have a 5900x and have noticed the sudden CPU spikes.

Usually game stays at around 10-15% CPU usage, but would sometimes intermittently spike to 25-40% CPU usage in the open world. This would cause temps to rise from 73 to 85 degrees. I don’t believe it is only because it is loading open world assets, because I would sometimes just get those large spikes by just being in town.

Beta and server slam I did not notice these CPU spikes.

Specs:
5900x 280mm LC
32 GB ram
m.2 SSD
RTX 4090 280mm LC
4k 144Hz

1 Like

Yes, I have also noticed that on my system.

1 Like

Bumping again - here is a post from the subreddit about this issue. No attention from Blizz.

3 Likes

Tried messaging via Twitter to Rob or Tech team?