Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

You mean your nonsense bandaid solution? We should not have to cap FPS at a measly 60 just because of the Inventory window.

The fact they they are gathering all this data means you were wrong this entire time.

1 Like

You are so unbelievably obtuse. Obviously we “shouldn’t have to” - but look at the facts of what’s happening and why. You can either complain about it, knowing full well how to mitigate it right now, or shut up and deal with the spikes.

By the way, everything Dauntless has said is 100% correct (I read the entire other thread).

LOL. No, I will continue to complain about it because it’s clearly not intentional design. Complaining about it is what causes change. They even opened up an official support for it.

There’s a difference from mitigating something and gimping your experience when you shouldn’t have to.

2 Likes

How do you not know it was not intentional? It doesn’t matter whether it was or wasn’t. I don’t even know what point you’re trying to make

You are now the one being intentionally obtuse. When the entire game runs perfectly fine with stable temps and fan speeds on Ultra/High settings, but opening the Inventory causes it to ramp up to the thermal limit then that is clearly an outlier and not intentional. The fact it continues to ramp up even with lowering every setting means there is something wrong. This is not a GPU intensive game where the entire game will hover around 45% utilization for me, but onpening the inventory is the only time it throttles?

It does and Blizzard is clearly taking it seriously now, because of the many of us being vocal about it.

Clearly.

I feel like I’m in an infinite “why?” loop with a 6-year-old. You keep saying “it shouldn’t do this, it should do that” - no one is disagreeing. Obviously, if it didn’t do the things we didn’t like it to do, that would be cool!! lmao

Also, Dauntless couldn’t have been more precise in explaining everything that goes into UI design and what may or may not have happened during the building process. My wife also works on UI design and is very well versed with UE and she also confirmed everything he said. For you to come here and complain about his “nonsense band-aid” solution is so ignorant.

2 Likes

Then stop engaging with me. Lmao. This is a public forum and I can complain if I feel there is an issue.

Limiting FPS to 60 is masking the underlying issue. Why even allow higher FPS or uncapped if this was designed?

When the Inventory is open the GPU is increasing wattage substantially and heat is rising specifically in memory.

That’s hilarious coming from you.

1 Like

Several users are also dealing with CPU related thermal spikes, which seem to be happening under similar circumstances. Any visibility from Blizz on this?

2 Likes

This issue was present since alpha version and is clearly an easy case to reproduce.

Just open inventory on any vendor and your gpu becomes airborne.

To me, its a matter of willing to fix and not identifying the issue.

1 Like

Same issue here… Sent my MSInfo file to the above mentioned address in the blue post…

1 Like

Wanted to update and say thank you to those who sent in system files. Please send them if you haven’t already.

This issue is very isolated (but when you have millions of players, an isolated issue can still affect a lot of people.) and the data you are sending will help our developers trackdown any game issues and get those addressed.

I also want to clarify something very important.

If your performance throttles down, if the game client freezes or crashes, this is your system doing its job to protect the system from potential hardware damage. This is what is supposed to happen. Now the source of this can be a number of things from something conflicting on the system to an issue with the game and that is what we are investigating using the system data you all are providing us.

If your system is overheating or otherwise shutting down completely. That is a failure of the safeguards all modern CPUs, GPUs, Motherboards and Windows have in place to prevent system damage. While the game may very well be doing something it shouldn’t be doing causing excessive resource usage, the system should never fail to throttle down, or close out (crash) the program in order to protect itself.

This indicates a larger vulnerability in the system and puts you at risk of permanent hardware damage from any program if not addressed. The game is not capable of causing these failures but it can reveal the vulnerabilities. If your system is experiencing this level of trouble, we recommend halting play until you can have those vulnerabilities addressed by a local professional. (This could be as simple as changing overclock settings, redoing drivers or more complex like a system format, cooling setup changes or even hardware replacement.)

We are looking into potential issues with the game itself but given how expensive damaged hardware may be to replace, wanted to advise extreme caution if you are experiencing system level issues like I described.

5 Likes

Damage control talking. Of course bad coding can do this. This is how Nvidia had to deal with 4090 rtx by flashing bios when New World game was burning them. The problem was in card, but also it can be on the New World side. The literally said this. Other games doesn’t damage hardware. Not even antha extreme test could do what Your game did!

And You said that at start! Your game was going to damage hardware and It tried to protect parts against Your game! My laptop died becouse he was trying to defend. All others that lost his gpus/cpus/pcs/laptops in Your game did this becouse of Diablo 4. I have many games more demanding than this. Cyberpunk 2077, new Witcher 3 or even Dyinglight 2 and only Your title caused crashes!
Right now You are blamong users for playing Your game.

5 Likes

Not saying you cap the WHOLE game to that… You can, sure, but my proposed solution is to update the 3D elements at a LOWER rate than the rest of the game is running at. You’d still be playing the game at 144fps except the 3D menu elements would be running at something like 60.

You can do both at the same time where the world view is still playing at high fps, while the 3D menu elements are running at a lower rate. Just because they are locked to something like 60, doesn’t mean it will lock your game world view to that.

You watch 30fps videos on Youtube, right? they don’t automatically make everything else on your screen run at 30fps

2 Likes

That is a game issue. The fact that they Pinned this topic and are gathering pretty heavy data means they are taking this seriously.

3 Likes

This is a melting pot thread with several issues… I know the average literacy rate is around a sixth grade reading level, but you can definitely practice a bit more reading comprehension.

The latest Blue post definitely seems like it’s more targeted toward the people getting hard crashes, system reboots, etc and it is a small percentage of players overall. GPU usage ramping up when you open the inventory? Definitely normal and is what I showcased in my example.

No it isn’t. They specifically closed out and posted in every “GPU RAMPING” thread that this is now the [Main Thread]. I know, I was watching it happen in real time yesterday.

If it was “by design” as you like to claim then they wouldn’t have done that. Clearly you just can’t stand being wrong. Looks like your “years of game design experience” wasn’t very good experience.

They specifically and manually merged my post (33) from a thread they closed into this one.

2 Likes

If the unnatural voltage spikes that are degrading Your pc parts durning opening inventor or talking to npc (often actions) are normal then i don’t want to know what is normal for You. Maybe Elison Mack?

Do You know that PSU can hold big power spikes for a short while becouse they can occure? Do You know that, this game is creating spikes every time You open vendor/interact with npc or open inventor? You are like boxer, punching parts. They will die sooner or later… If Blizz will not do anything. For now he is blaming us becouse we bought their game.

1 Like

A brief spike to load assets/etc is normal. A sustained increase is evidence of a problem.

I’m sitting here in town right now at 41% load on a RTX 3090 and the moment I open a shopkeep interface, the load jumps to 63% (temp increases accordingly and the GPU fans take off) and it stays there as long as the UI is open.

There is nothing that should be causing that kind of sustained usage increase on a simple UI.

5 Likes

On the first day, it was totally fine with the game, no crash (black screen).
I got one crash two days ago.
And today, I got 3 crashes: black screen, GPU fans made huge noises. I had to turn it off physically.
I tried many ways, the problem is remaining the same.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon RX 580 8Gb
RAM 32 GB

Diablo 3 has no issue at all.