Excessive Vram utilization

Apparently this game shows excessive (abnormal?) Vram utilization.
After testing on multiple systems, the Vram utilization is far too high (pretty much using the entire memory, independent of how much there is).

The game also is miserable at handling the loading/unloading of assets from the Vram, causing noticeable stutters and even seconds long freezes.

Please take a look into this issue, there is clearly something off here.

3 Likes

That could be related to the issue that’s now been Pinned in regards to overheating GPUs with the Main Menu and having your inventory window open.

Someone did a pretty in-depth resource monitoring and noticed that GPU wattage would spike and maintain high usage specifically when the inventory window is open. I’m talking over 100 extra watts than any other game content.

He also noticed that the memory chips on the GPUs, specifically, were becoming the hot spots.

TLDR: Yes, it seems like there is something going on with GPU memory. The bandaid solution at this point is to cap your FPS below 120, maybe even 60.

I think this might only be one of quite a few major technical issues. While the game never crashed for me, it is using way too many ressources for what it is. Even cyberpunk at 1440p with raytracing doesnt put this much stress on the gpu. I hope they fix it quickly.

2 Likes

Same here. No crashes, no fried GPU, but the entire game will be stable at 45% usage on my 3080 and will ramp up to 90% while standing still and having the inventory window open. It heats up to the thermal limiter within seconds and then throttles, but stays at the limit.

Yes i also noticed major spikes, even without tons of mobs and effects on the screen. The underlying issue becomes extremely obvious when you set the cards power limit to like 45% in msi afterburner.

I still easily reach 120 fps with quality dlss at a 45% powerlimit with a 4080. The card doesnt even reach 60c. Its a bug 100%.

If you feel like your experience is similar and can think back to the triggers then consider passing on your information to the Devs. Directions are in this thread.

[Main Thread] Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023 - Technical Support - Diablo IV Forums (blizzard.com)

Thankfully i skipped the 3x series. Didnt notice any unusual behaviour on the 4x series. Until this game came along however… But i can definitely see how this game easily fries faulty cards.

I wanted to just let you know that this issue has been reported from people with GTX, RTX 30xx, RTX 40xx, and even AMD.

Well lets be honest, cards got way too expensive and i see why some manufacturers would cheap out on components to keep competitive prices. This wont change until component prices become way more reasonable (probably never again i guess). So in that sense it doesnt really matter what series or generation the card is from.

1 Like

Same here. I overclocked my VRAM and it improved stuttering but still running high. I will try to artificially cap my frames in D4 and see how that deals with it. I am running on a AMD 6600XT

I would not recommend overclocking anything just for this game. When all else fails, reduce texture quality. Blizz will need to fix the issue, not users by overclocking their hardware.

It was stuttering even on low. Even over clocked my junction temps are not breaching 54C due to liquid cooling. I already have an overclock profile setup for some games so just applied it for D4 to test.

I see. Stuttering even on low pretty much shows how technically flawed this game is. Your card has like 8gb of memory and on low the textures look like from a early 2000 game. 8 gigs should therefore be more than enough. I dunno how this made it through quality assurance.

Pushing frames cap to 60 resolved the stutter even though I have 165hz 4k monitors. I even restricted my machine down to one monitor last night to test and see if pushing out to two was taxing it. I put it on Ultra but cap frames at 60 and have 0 issue now. Taking it to 75 I had one stutter in like 5 minutes and as frames went up so did the stutter. I can see why some people think it could be network because as the stutter and frames increased so did my latency which would make sense as the game is processing and possibly would need to retrieve data a second time or the freeze would stop data processing artificially causing latency as it tries to play catch up.

edit I already have a RX 7900XT on back order and is supposed to ship next week that I ordered a few weeks ago so I plan on testing it again with that. I do have 64GB of DDR4 and a Ryzen 5950X

Ok so apparently enabling Vsync can improve the stuttering by a good margin. At least when you have capped your fps below native monitor refresh rate. But its still far from buttery smooth.

I have the exact same problem described by others in this thread. I’m playing with everything ultra maxed out and after 20min-30min of gameplay the game constantly stutters every other 5s-10s. I almost bet that this is a game bug streaming ultra textures to memory in the background. Check my linked thread where I show this problem happening in a capture with low ping (so no, this isn’t a network latency problem).

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/stuttering-problem-video-evidence-with-low-ping-and-system-info-june-2023/31191

i am using a 6600xt, setting on high by default and without using the texture pack in high resolution, it uses all the 8gb of vram of my gpu, if i change the graphics to medium it goes down to half, and if i turn it back up to high it keeps the usage at 50% but gradually starts to go up until it reaches the maximum, i think the game definitely has a problem with the vram management.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.