Spike in CPU temperature for 10 seconds with LOW CPU usage

Hello, this seems to be a known issue, I am wondering if there is a solution.

I have a 5800x3D AMD CPU and while the game runs like a breeze (no FPS issues with CPU usage idling around 20%) I will sporadically get a raise in CPU temperature from 60-70 degrees to 85-90. This happens randomly, sometimes when I am in my inventory, when I am checking my skills, in town or even in combat. This spike lasts around 10 seconds with my fans at full throttle and than the temperature normalizes. There is nothing extraordinary happening in-game when this spike occurs. Once again, the CPU usage does not spike with the temperature, it remains at low CPU usage.

This is not an issue on my end, other users with AMD CPU’s have posted about this same issue. This does not happen with other games. I have had this issue since launch. I assumed it was some sort of compatibility problem that would be quickly resolved, but here I am still suffering from this over a month later. I have seen several suggestions that have not resolved the issue: My drivers are and have always been up to date, v-sync is disabled, I have tried it on too. I have tried NVIDIA reflex off, on and with boost enabled. I have also tried lowering and raising settings or even locked my FPS at 60 or 90, nothing seems to fix this.

While I understand I should be “safe” with this spike, it is unsettling to have my temperature raise drastically and have my fans go crazy while it seems the game is not even pressing my CPU usage (once again it is usually around 20-30% usage).

Please let me know if anyone has found a solution for this! Thank you!

Thank you!

4 Likes

Haven’t found a resolution yet, but I have the same experience with a 5800X3D.

CPU usage stays around 20-30% yet the CPU temperature has been seen getting as high as 94.5C on my PC according to HWINFO.

I’ve reset monitoring over and over while playing the game to verify.

Diablo IV is quite seriously the only computer program, not only a game but a program, that I’ve ever used to cause such high temperature readings with such low processing utilization.

It is baffling and I’d at minimum like to have an explanation as to this behavior.

Same issue here, also got some pc crashes recently
Amd Ryzen 5 2600
Cpu usage is around 20-30% temperature normally at 65-75c
Entering city or interacting with some npcs causes the temperature to rise to 85-90c+ and sometimes even crash my pc (overheat protection obviously)
I hope they will fix this soon

I have a Ryzen 9 5900x that typically sits around 65c max during gaming under a NH-D15. Have had zero issues with my set-up in the past, until D4.

Every few minutes (anywhere between 1 minute to 5) it’ll randomly spike to almost 80c for just a second or two before going back down to usual temps. Doesn’t seem to matter where I am or what I’m doing.

CPU usage is never higher than 20-25%, and does not change during the temp spikes.

Performance is otherwise fine, but it’s very jarring having my case fans go haywire intermittently like this. GPU temps have so far been normal.

This did not happen during the Beta or Server Slam.

I have my own thread going about this, here.

The temperature depends on the cooling system, how it is mounted. On the PC case and its airflow. On the ambient temperature, too.

If you have enabled performance enhancement settings in the BIOS, they may be pushing the processor beyond the operating modes defined by the specification.

The sudden heavy CPU load may be game related, the temperature is not.

having the same issue. ryzen 7800X3D, noctua NH-D15, average temp 45-55°C, but every 30-60 seconds after some gameplay, the fans ramp up FULLSPEED and the temp reaches up to 81 degrees. meanwhile the cpu usage does not change. cant be healthy for cpu i guess. newest agesa 1.0.0.7b non beta bios, newest chipset drivers, i mean its this game that makes the cpu go crazy, with a max power consumption of 40watts.

im playing at 1080p capped at 90 fps.

While i do not have a amd cpu, i know the am5 chipset has a feature called “eco mode” which puts a tighter limit on the max wattage the cpu draws. I would probably enable that with an aircooled 7800x.

Without eco mode the cpu will behave like other modern cpus and use every thermal headroom there is to maximize performance until it goes to 95-100c where it starts to throttle. This is by design and does not damage your cpu. If you want lower temps/less noise enable eco mode.

This is a known issue, one of the most viewed topics was regarding this:

Unfortunately Blizzard and forum mods decide to ignore and bury the issue, this sudden GPU temp and power usage on vendors and in turn towns has been proven on many threads, yet they turn a blind eye. Ignore Unknown posters they are trolling.
The main thread where Blue chat Blizzard staff themselves said they were combining posts regarding it, rather than collating data and addressing the issue, gathered all threads into one, ignored it for a month, then closed the thread.
They have no either desire or ability to fix the problem, despite many people offering a workable solution of a selection to turn animated vendor models off, perhaps they are just too inept.
I would suggest lowering your graphics to high or less, turn fur to low, cap FPS at 90, and turn Nvidia reflex off. Only then you may get more manageable fluctuations, but will not fix the problem, so attempt to go in your inventory and vendors as little as possible - despite that being one of the main parts of an item grinding game.

1 Like

as far as i know, eco mode limits the processors power usage from 80w down to 65w, i dont know if that would help since the cpu is just using a maximum of 40 watts anyway while playing, nor do i know if it also limits the max boost clock of the cpu. it boosts a single core to maximum for a millisecond, resulting in these high temp spikes, not needing to hit any power limit.

even if this behavior is by design, it still does not feel right or normal when it just starts to happen after an hour of gameplay or something, and then happens constantly every 30-60 seconds while standing still at tree of whisper for example, not opening inventory or something. as i told in other similar posts, my (maybe false) intuition lets me guess that there is something wrong with the way D4 handles something in the background, so i better stay safe because i know the cache of the x3d cpus does not like high temps or voltage spikes

i found a solution now by disabling PBO and changing the maximum processor state in windows power plan to 99%, and will revert these settings after D4.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.