VRAM leak over time?

Ah yeah right, Blizzard disabled FSR for Nvidia users for whatever reason.
In any other game you can choose whichever.

And it’s still filling that VRAM almost instantly once loaded into the game world. Flushing happens more often now but the core VRAM issues remain.

You need to set a custom fan curve so your GPU stays cool. Use MSI Afterburner or Precision X if your GPU is an EVGA card.

Card doesn’t get hot one bit. Stays in between 40-60°C.

Those aren’t stutters, those are very small micro-stutters/frame rate dips and are completely normal. Keep in mind, the graph width is roughly five seconds of time. So even the pic you linked, the width of the three spikes at the start is like 150ms wide.

These little spikes are single frames and usually don’t go beyond 30-40ms for more than a single frame. The types of graphs that places like Digital Foundary use are actually fairly averaged/smoothed, when reviewing games(probably 2-3 frame average). What I’m showing is what a raw framegraph looks like.

Also, if you sum up all of those little spikey moments, you’re looking at seconds per hour, 3600 seconds per hour, and that’s in the <0.02% lows range…

It is working just fine… If you saw how it was before the patch, you’d know that it would lead to whole seconds worth of hard locking and stuttering, every few minutes.

Well you’d never notice 99% them without a frame time graph, but that’s on you. For the rest of people watching this thread, I’m sure what I’ve shown is more than enough for them to give it a try.

Yeah it’s kind of dumb, seeing how FSR is vendor agnostic.

Well, I have officially surpassed that today. Nearly 4 hours this evening.

Not one crash, barely any hiccups, very smooth and playable. Best experience at this resolution and settings since launch. I was impressed overall. Still not impressed though with the beating the game gives out when visiting vendors however, but it doesn’t appear to be stressing my card enough to worry me yet. But I keep my vendor activity to a minimum.

I will be posting a video recording of the last hour and 15ish minutes of play. This will include about an hour of just running around doing quests, then showing the game settings about an hour in, and then spending time teleporting town hub to town hub and visiting vendors.

Let me put it this way. You remember the video I did the other week with the older monitor and high vs ultra then?

This plays nearly the same as it was on High with that older monitor. With it now on Ultra and 1440 instead of 1080, and 100FPS instead of 144FPS.

Its insane how well it plays. And it plays a LOT better than it did pre-patch.

My desktop is still running 535.98. I still have the swap file disabled, with no issues, and run the second monitor while playing, with stuff on that screen too.

And even while recording the last hour of game play, I barely noticed any difference in the game and how it plays.

Will post the video later once its done uploading.

Game on.

I addressed this in another thread with a UE5 example showcasing what they need to do. Basically, they need to cap the render target refresh rate to something like 30fps on the portraits or dumb the quality down.

There’s more in that thread about this topic

Glad it’s running smooth for you as well, but unfortunately, some people will still insist that seconds worth of frame rate drops per hour(3600 seconds) make the game unplayable for them.

Oh, I’m well aware of how bad and potentially what’s causing it. I have been pointing out three top issues since launch:

• VRAM/handling of assets
  • Vendor usage spikes
  • Network connectivity issues

I will say the VRAM situation for me at least has improved. I’m noting a lot better results with this. So will give them a B for effort and improvement.

The Vendor issues are still a problem, and whatever the cause, I hope they work toward lowering if not eliminating this issue.

The Network thing. This one is troubling for me especially, as I have not been able to reproduce it, with 3 different ISPs and from two countries.

I see that one as the most irksome to fix. As it has multiple impacts such as:

• Home networking equipment
  • ISP’s potentially de-prioritizing or blocking traffic
  • Server traffic management and geographical efficiency
  • Finally, issues even with doing updates for Diablo IV from the launcher

With that one, any other game on the launcher seems fine, but Diablo IV seems to have a hard time getting updates on it. Even on my machines. IN fact, that is the only place I see network issues. NOT while playing the game… No. While updating it.

Update:

Video of my system playing D4 for over an hour on Ultra at 1440p:

You’ll be working in an office. And your boss will send you to work in a dog box, arguing that you don’t need all the space of an office. Indeed, you don’t take up too much space in the office, but working from a dog box is uncomfortable and unproductive.

Don’t do that.

Unfortunately it’s more than that for me with my 2070S.
I suspect it might be because it does not support resizable bar, which some people said has helped them.

EDIT:
Just did a short testrun with ultra textures and the latest Nvidia driver.
Only played for like 20min but it seems better now and so far playable.
Going to test more later.

EDIT2:
They also pushed another hotfix last night with “stability improvements”, so maybe it’s not the Nvidia driver.
Anyways seems like i can finally play with ultra textures and even watch a video on the 2nd screen while doing so :partying_face: :raised_hands:

Will update if anything changes or the game crashes after a while or whatever.

Oh and before i forget, they still need to fix the inventory/vendor GPU load :unamused:

Yeah that could be a big factor. The whole point of reBAR/SAM is to help in situations like this so that it doesn’t take as many cycles to shuffle assets in and out. I think normally it can only move like 128MB or 256MB per cycle, but with reBAR/SAM, it can do the whole GPU’s VRAM in one bite if it wants.

I don’t really use Nvidia GPUs anymore, so I’m not sure how the drivers are doing on their end any more, but they could also have a big effect as well. Might boil down to the drivers being bad at managing MPOs or something, both Nvidia and AMD have had issues with MPO for a while now, but that’s mostly an issue that Microsoft would have to fix within Windows itself. MPO gets ultra triggered by multimonitor setups, especially if they are mixed refresh rates.

Yeah my main gaming monitor is a LG 1440P, 144Hz, with g-sync and my 2nd one is only 60hz, 1440P, but with better color accuracy for productivity.
That has caused some issues with microstuttering in the past with other games like D3 and WoW.

Yep, I run the same kind of setup. My second screen is a display tablet for art but only does 60hz. In the past with Nvidia cards, I had to disable MPO because it caused too many problems. You can always try it to see if it solves any issues for you: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/~/after-updating-to-nvidia-game-ready-driver-461.09-or-newer%2C-some-desktop-apps Run disable->reboot or run enable->reboot to put it back to default.

As for AMD, I think they tried turning MPO on last year, but this year, they just ended up disabling it again or something because it was causing too many issues.

1 Like

Game is smooth now for me.
Able to play in 4k, high textures, without any issues.
What’s strange tho is that my Vram usage while starting the game is like 4-5gb.
Once it loads to town it stays at 11,5gb. Going dungeons, teleporting, 12.3gb
I have a Rtx 6700 xt (12gb).

I’m looking at the numbers and thinking, what the actual F?

Despite the numbers being high, the game is not stuttering. I don’t know how. My usage does not go below 11,5gb while playing.

That’s just the allocated block of memory, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s using it all. It’s like getting out a big box when you aren’t sure how much stuff you need to put in one.

1 Like

Thanks, but after using no swap file for the past decade in a half without any problems, go away. I know the risks, which by the way include:

• Program compatibility. Meaning there are some programs that get a bit pissy if you don’t have a swap file enabled.
  • Error logging. This is when Windows would have a crash/blue screen etc, it might not log all the data about the crash.
  • Memory space is hard limited. But if you have a lot of memory, this normally isn’t an issue at all.

So thanks, but relax. The sad truth about that, I did this as a way to try to get the game to bork. It ended up changing nothing, so I just left it disabled. I normally disable the swap file anyway. *shrug

Glad to know its playing better for you too then.

Did you see the video I linked above? lol

Yeah i did.

So i just found out that with hardware acceleration on in chrome the game just doesn’t feel smooth no matter how high the FPS (flat frametime graph too).
Turning it off or closing chrome and it’s buttery smooth.
Maybe some Gsync issue.

EDIT: G-sync issue confirmed.
Turned on the OSD on my LG display which shows the current Hz.
With hardware acceleration off it shows around 90 which is my FPS cap.
With it on, it’s locked at 144hz.
WTF? :crazy_face:

That’s odd.

I figure if needed I can just turn off the hardware acceleration. That just means it will use the CPU to run it instead of offloading it to the GPU. *shrug

And when you are running an i9, its not like the CPU can’t handle the task. lol

As for the effect you are having… Is your G-Sync set to match both desktop and full screen to 144? There is a dot to fill in to enable for both.

I had weirdness with D3 when I first tried it at 1440p. It would not run above 60FPS. Finally I found I needed to remove the cap setting completely and enable only Vsync. Then it locked in on 165FPS, matching the new monitor 165hz. No Vsync and no cap, it would run over 300FPS easy. But with a cap of any setting above 60, it would only run 60. Annoying. lol

Well, it’s not like my 5800X3D can’t handle it, it’s just that some intense websites like the D4 interactive map on maxroll is zooming in at like 5 FPS :stuck_out_tongue:
And sometimes the scrolling is not as smooth… but it’s a compromise.

I’m running chrome on my 2nd display.
But where is that option?

I have to play D3 in Fullscreen (not borderless) or else i get the same microstuttering.

Also in WoW, if not running in DX12 (which it should anyways) and watching a video on my 2nd display, i get it too.
Just feels so miserable if you have 144 FPS but it feels like 30 :smiley:

Afaik the problem with WoW is because of the different Hz of my 2 displays.
A buddy of mine has 2 144Hz and he did not have that effect.

For me, this tweak no longer works on the latest version of the OS. You can check in the dxdiag report.

Yeah like I said, I don’t really use Nvidia cards anymore and haven’t for a while now. I know the regedit keys don’t affect AMD cards on newer drivers because the drivers themselves don’t actually use MPO right now, even if the DXDIAG report shows the max planes greater than 1.