Role Queue Update

I do not agree with this, I think a GM Brig cannot be translated to be a GM widow.

10 Likes

Awesome, thank you so much for the communication. Curious why we so frequently see games where the SR of players in a specific role on 2 different teams doesn’t match? I had one game where we had two gold DPS players and the enemy had 2 platinum DPS players (and I’ve had several other games with less egregious disparity) … I get that they might be extremely close in rank (and even closer in hidden MMR) but it still feels discouraging having to play vs. someone who is a rank above you. Just curious if this is something you’re working to balance.

1 Like

I have been getting regular games with gold and diamond players…

2 Likes

I think this is one quote that people should keep in mind if they’re tilted over a loss.

32 Likes

Same. It’s always fair to think some players are better, but it shouldn’t stop us from trying to play the game.

2 Likes

Which are?
It’s very hard to address them without having them stated…

222 has saved the game for me! I am so thankful the devs decided to go all-in on the competitive aspect of the game. No more being bullied into playing a role I don’t want to. I know what is expected of me when I queue and that is such a godsend.

Matches have been significantly more enjoyable even when my team gets defeated. There games I play are significantly more balanced and more often than not are close call matches where the win could go either way! There are a few stomp matches here and there, but they are over with fast and overall few an and far between.

My one gripe is that the support and tank roles in particular don’t have many options to counter enemy heroes. If a certain hero is carrying the enemy team, your options to counter said hero are significantly limited when compared to the DPS role.

Heroes like Doomfist, Pharah, Mei, and Reaper don’t have clear counters in the support/tank roles leaving those players to feel somewhat helpless if their dps aren’t able to rise to the occasion. Sure there are some minor counters to them, but overall your options are limited. I hope you have this in mind when developing new heroes in the future. Give tanks/healers a reason to swap especially in unique ways that aren’t offered yet for certain situations.

12 Likes

And yet, you’d be mistaken.
As numerous “unranked to GM” streams have proven, whether it be with One-Tricking a non-meta hero, or by playing a completely different role, or locking yourself to be a pure flex player- GMs are far higher than the average player realizes.

The skill gap between a Masters and a GM is IMMENSE, and then every 100 or so SR within GM is another skill-gap.
A GM’s knowledge of positioning, and their awareness and gamesense can easily carry them through all the lower ranks. This naturally benefits their ability to make good decisions and share that with their teams as they climb, as well as having them already know GM-level ultimate economy and ability usage, they can easily get into Masters with that knowledge.

The climb from Masters to GM would be far more difficult, I’m sure- but the simple fact is it’s been done over a hundred times at this point. It can be done.

3 Likes

Let’s just take a step and ask what that wall of text actually addressed. You even have a forum MVP asking a question that was ignored.

Personally, I am concerned that they are spinning the median queue time as an average queue time.

4 Likes

No offense, but that sounds like such a cop-out answer. There are easily cases where it is the DPS who are under-performing and can be blamed for the team’s loss. I’ve had several placement matches wherein the enemy had a Pharah and neither of my team’s DPS could handle her. Why? Because they refused to switch off of Symm/Mei/Doomfist. By the time they did switch to a hit-scan (e.g. McCree) it was already less than 30 seconds left and the objective so far in favor of the enemy that it didn’t matter.

There’s only so much a tank or even a healer can do to work on improving their game when it still comes down to the DPS playing a heavy role in doing… DPS. An Ana, Baptiste, Zen could try to heal and DPS, sure, and many do, but if the support are the ones who have to end up handling a Pharah because the DPS can’t, well, it’s not exactly “unfair” blame, is it?

16 Likes

That does not make any sense, if the DPS can’t play hitscan and are busy doing their jobs elsewhere, what is stopping you from going Baptiste and taking her out if you perceive her to be a grave threat? Therein lies where a team effort is a team effort and you did not do what you felt was the best to achieve the win… And project that onto the DPS that noticed the issue too late. Because sometimes Pharah is not an overcentralizing threat. Oftentimes professionals “counter” her by winning the team fight before she does too much damage.

9 Likes
  1. Nerf double shield, not sym. Not a fan of sym, but you cant deny that this is the one thing shes good against, and even she struggles to break all the necessary shields. If anything, nerf her ult so it stops being triple shields at times.

2. Putting equal SRs across all roles just because theyre GM is a bad move, and i mean really really bad. Im a 4.4k peak sup player, can play tank at around 4.2, but have never played dps in a ranked game in my life except for maybe stall (Mei, tracer, df to get to point). I should absolutely not under any condition be placing 4.1k on DPS or even close. Place me diamond MAX. It is unfair not just to me, but to the teammates im playing with who expect a 4.1k dps, but instead get a straight up plat level one. It honestly gives me a reason NOT to even attempt placing on dps because of this. It ruins matchmaking and enflates/deflates certain sr populations because of this.

13 Likes

So you now punish high sr with double shield and que times that can exceed 60 minutes

1 Like

Lots of great information for those who are still skeptical about role queue. It’s a vast improvement. Thanks for the update! I can’t wait for Role Queue to arrive in Quickplay; Competitive is too stressful for me as I have some pretty bad ladder anxiety, so I’m incredibly excited to finally get to play with Role Queue in a relaxed environment. The matches that I’ve played on PTR with Role Queue were some of the best I’ve ever had, and it’s wonderful to have it guaranteed that I’ll get to play as my preferred role and have fun. September 1st can’t come soon enough!

2 Likes

The results of your matches in the Role Queue Beta are not being thrown out and will be used by the matchmaking systems to help determine your skill in season 18.

What the blog post was trying to explain is that the Role Queue Beta season’s stats in your player profile will only be available for a limited time, and they will not be added to your career competitive totals that you can see when you choose “ALL COMPETITIVE SEASONS” in your career stats.

54 Likes

Then why are hard stuck plats since season 2 only began climbing after they started one tricking brig?

11 Likes

I have played a lot of games during this beta period and I can say without a doubt there is a huge issue with heal and tank mains heavily under-performing on DPS. I have seen way more than two dozen profiles where on DPS the person had already dropped 400+ SR on that role. Meanwhile, their other roles remained close to their placement start. It doesn’t feel fun queuing into a game and praying you are the team that gets two actual DPS players.

19 Likes

Well, wish you were more up front about this before all of the people throwing in my games vomited out “shut up, this season doesn’t count, nobody cares lol” but glad to know what progress i have made will stick.

9 Likes

I’m very curious what this will end up being.

Best I could come up with was either reducing the amount of DPS in those skill tiers by awarding them less SR for wins for Plat and above.

Or awarding tanks/healers more SR for wins for Diamond and above.
With the SR boosts for Tanks/Healers being advertised on the Role selection screens.
(Because lootboxes and coins don’t motivate those players, but SR gains do.)

Only other approach I could see working is to matchmaker one of each GM DPS with nearly identical skills/heroes, into each team of 5 less skilled teammates. As an MVP+5 mirror match.
(And then work that downwards, to clear up some space).

It still did not count. They are throwing out the stats for some reason. So… What does it matter?