Solo Shuffle Update - January 6

Happy New Year champions!

Before the holidays, we posted an update about future improvements that we’re working on for Rated Solo Shuffle, and we want to provide additional information on those updates. For additional information about Rated Solo Shuffle, please refer to the FAQ about Rated Solo Shuffle that was previously posted.

Coming with Weekly Restarts

Next week, we will make an update so that leaving a match will impact both Matchmaking Rating and Current Rating. We’ve received a great deal of player feedback indicating that losing only current rating has not been enough of a deterrent to leaving, and leaving is highly disruptive to the Solo Shuffle experience.

10.0.5 Improvements

We have several changes coming in 10.0.5 to improve how our system handles players who leave matches:

• Rating will be calculated per-round in games with leavers.
    • This has been a recurring point of feedback that we agree with. The format of Solo Shuffle is intended to have all 6 rounds completed, as there can be composition or skill imbalances between individual rounds. Now, when rating is calculated for incomplete matches (matches with leavers), gains and losses will be scaled linearly based on the number of rounds completed.
  • Matchmaking Value for each player in a match will be displayed on the scoreboard.
    • We want to provide additional visibility to matchmaking. Matches are made based on the matchmaking rating of players, not their current rating. When a player enters a match, we determine the expected performance of players in the match based on player matchmaking rating (MMR). We take all the rounds into account, considering who was on each side and who won, so it matters which specific rounds the player wins, and not just the total number of rounds won, in calculating impact on MMR. We hope this helps players to better understand the matches they’re placed in, as well as rating changes of individual players based on the results of the match.

• A warning prompt will display the penalties for leaving if a player attempts to leave a match.
    • If a player attempts to leave a match in progress, they will be prompted with a warning that indicates the repercussions of leaving including penalties and forfeiture of rewards. The warning will have a 5 second countdown and the player will be required to hit ‘Accept’ to leave. Our intent with this change is to make the leaver punishments more visible, as well as requiring additional acknowledgement from the leaving player.

Players who leave excessively will be subject to account review and suspensions, as abandoning matches repeatedly is a violation of the terms of service via exploiting functionality to the detriment of the game environment and the intended player experience.

Beyond 10.0.5

Looking to the future, we’re actively discussing options we might take to incentivize more healers to queue for Solo Shuffle to reduce the queue time for the damage role. This includes ways to make Solo Shuffle gameplay a more fun, rewarding experience for healers. We do not have anything to share about that right now, but in addition to leavers, it’s a foremost concern for the team.

We’re also looking into improving the UI further for both those in-queue and those who are about to queue.

As a team, we’re excited about Rated Solo Shuffle and we’re looking to iterate and improve on it in future patches. Your feedback has been valuable and greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

104 Likes

Thank god.

This is exactly what we’ve been asking for and what we needed. SS is officially saved.

I sat in a 2h24min queue to have someone just leave to save their mmr.

Thank you Blizzard.

23 Likes

Hi Kaivax, this sounds incredible and I’m very excited for this. Will this leave-warning pop-up appear when players attempt to leave by logging out with /afk, /camp, /exit and other similar log-out-based methods in the middle of a round to prevent losing that round?

3 Likes

I specifically like the part the mention’s “Players who leave Excessively will be subject to account review and suspensions” ! Great to hear this news because leaver’s are becoming a plague to this game mode

24 Likes

What happens to people who just Alt+F4 or those that actually have connection issues and arent trying to just quit but get screwed over by their ISP?

8 Likes

Yes, please answer this. This will absolutely happen if it isn’t factored into your new system.

Amazing changes by the way, thank you.

I was going to point this out. There’s threads upon threads about lag, and other such issues, not to mention sometimes internet companies have their moments too. Overwatch has said they’re able to determine when someone leaves vs. when someone has a legitimate disconnection beyond their control.

Can we expect something like this here? It’s another Blizzard title. This should be doable here. People should not be punished so harshly for things outside of their control.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s possible though. If they give excuses for connection issues then Alt+F4 will be the likely way to rage-quit matches. Which would make the whole change pointless, no?

2 Likes

You’ll lose MMR/Rating. You already currently lose rating for a D/C.

Unless it happens repeatedly and often they won’t suspend you for a D/C.

Don’t enter a competitive mode if you play on an unstable connection, that’s selfish when you have teammates.

24 Likes

The amount of times this happens is FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR less than the amount of people intentionally leaving. I mean it is not even close… if I get disconnected during a key we don’t get “credit” if we fail the key, right? Same thing goes for SS.

4 Likes

Blizzard can see if you lost connection or manually left a match using alt +f4. This information is collected.

4 Likes

If you’re having connection issues, you probably shouldn’t be queueing a ranked mode at the expense of other people’s time and rating.

This is more acceptable in non-ranked modes.

8 Likes

So if you’re stuck with the 0-3 healer and they leave before you get to play with the other healer then you lose rating? How does that make sense? There are so many matches where you start 0-2 and end up 4-2 but with this new system, you will get punished when someone leaves before you have a chance to play with everyone.

14 Likes

It needs to be longer than 15mins, maybe 1 hour que ban? from PvE and PvP account wide.

We also need a report for grieving option.

7 Likes

I’m honestly impressed, you listened to the players, saw an issue and found a good fix. Thank you for your work.

3 Likes

Yea pretty much, less of a reason to q as a healer now

You get stuck with the crap dps 0-3 games, you don’t get the opportunity to recover your points

3 Likes

Its kind of a situation where no perfect solution exists. Youll just have to suck it up in those scenarios. Im also on the 0 rating change boat but the majority seems to want at least partial rating change

Better cater to the overpopulated crowd and not the one causing 3 hour q times!

1 Like

I actually didn’t even think of this, that’s so true and unfortunate. Rip. Still better than the alternative though imo since a lot of the times around 2k the healers were pretty even, just from what I’ve noticed.