Sharding has gotten out of control!

As far as apparently Legion content, Forced sharding has been out of control. People have reported being phased WHILE engaged to monsters, rares and various activities and now I have joined them in witnessing this first hand.

It was my understanding that sharding was supposed to work vastly different than how it does now. According to it’s initial release: “When too many players are in an area, the game automatically creates a new “shard,” a copy of that area. Players entering the area will be placed on the new shard.”
So why are players being pushed to new shards despite being in the zone consistently over the span of say an hour? Shards are supposed to be created for new players, not players who are already in a zone.

There is also the case of Sharding on RP realms where it’s supposed to be disabled apparently: https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/1022566187266232320

Now for my experience:
I was in a group in Tyrhold during the Elemental Invasion, killing a rare with a friend and two other people outside our group when we were all phased as the rare we were killing was about to die.

How do you let this happen? Originally if you were in a group and/or engaged in fighting, being pushed to another shard would not touch you. I thought you’d only be sharded if you remained inactive on a shard for a certain period of time, but here I was engaged in a fight and it happened.

If a developer can look into this: We were pushed into a new shard at approximately 7:39 PM CST 2/9/2024 in Tyr Hold Reservoir on my Alt Tibias - Wyrmrest Accord. We were engaged to the Overloading Defense Matrix.

I have an addon that tells me which shard we were in/moved to. We were in Shard 8624 and were pushed into shard 29920 while engaged with an enemy.

I meant to make a post sooner but IRL obligations popped up and prevented me from following through with it. Edit: Apparently these sharding issues have been happening for years!

Posted Link here for Non CC members to give their 2 cents about what they’ve experienced:

47 Likes

From the separated forum post in the general discussion: the forced sharding seems to happen no matter what you’re doing. It can happen within 10 minutes of the last time you were pushed into a different shard. It can also apparently happen in any zone/expansion.

Elaborating on this with an edit: the issues seem to have started happening in Legion with increased frequency each expansion/patch. Only recently has it gotten so out of control.

11 Likes

A list of links from across the forums that have complained about the sharding issues; I will update as I find more:

^(Says phasing but is about Sharding)

^(Uses phasing but is actually about sharding!)

^ (Says phasing but really means Sharding)

^(They say phasing but its actually sharding)

^(Also says phasing but this issue is sharding

^(Uses ‘phasing’ but is actually about sharding)

^ (Thread from 2018)

^ (another from 2018)

^(another from 2018)

^( From 2019)

^(another from 2019)

^(Another 2019)

^(Another from 2019 displaying that sharding is not working as it was originally intended)

^(One from just last december '23)

^(Another thread from 2019)

^ (another from 2019)

^ (Shadowlands content)

The following threads are sharding related as sharding is supposed to create and fill new shards as others become too full but instead it’s randomly tossing players around and sometimes placing them on dead shards:

Sharding in relation to RP realms where it’s supposed to be disabled:

20 Likes

Many players in the GD mirror I made have become increasingly frustrated with the sharding’s as well as the lack of response to this extremely game disrupting issue. The severity of it is so great I’m a little shocked that no bug report or blue response acknowledging the issue has been made. Why are we not getting a response when this issue is causing some activities to become so frustrating if not unplayable?

A lot of players refuse to go out and do activities/play the game because they know they will potentially get sharded mid or near the end of the activity they are participating in and not get any credit.

A blue response or any official response to this issue would be greatly appreciated because right now the amount of “there is no hope” sentiment will increase with each person posting.

12 Likes