Sharding in RP realms, Bugged?

I’m on sentinels fyi (zone nazjatar WM on),
I’m told sharding on RP realms is disabled, the connected realms info support page, shows me connected to different realms. Im chatting up people who are doing nothing special when they login. So… are rp realms sharded, is the connected realms info support page outdated, or is it a bug and sharding on rp realms supposed to be disabled?

I really wish I can send a screenshot of the( conversations or seen) I’m having with various people from :

• Emerald Dream
  • The Ravenholdt, Twisting Nether, Maelstrom, The Venture Company (yes all)
  • Earthen Ring

From what I understand, cross realm zones will still occur to prevent areas from being underpopulated, so you may see other players from realms not connected to yours. But RP zones will only cross realm with other RP zones, and all of those are RP realms.

Thanks, Im hoping to get a fully vetted definitive response from Blizzard CS.
We’re on the same page, you are describing exactly what I am experiencing. But im having trouble finding any official documentation on the subject. It would be nice if the subject was clearly explained (officially).
this blizzard CS agent wrote it “shouldn’t” be happening at this time, but later seems to admit not knowing much on the subject, doesn’t seem to have put much effort into the ticket…

You’re welcome! It can definitely be confusing trying to figure out how this works. You wouldn’t be guaranteed a Blizzard response, though, particularly in bug report forums. If you look further up in that thread, Vrakthis posted an explanation along the same lines as what I posted above, with clarification that CRZ and sharding are not the same thing. So you aren’t being sharded, technically, as that will not occur on RP realms, but you can be in a cross-realm zone with characters from other RP realms. I think you’d have to play Classic to only see those from your own realm.

1 Like

Thanks Marwenna,
Are you saying I can be placed in a zone with other Like CRZ that are NOT on the CRZ group I’m documented in? That’s what I’m seeing…
so they are not listed as CRZ but due to low pop, undocumented realms are grouped together?

No problem! Yes, you could see other characters from other RP realms due to cross-realm zones. So you are on the Sentinels realm, and by nature of the connected realms, would see Kirin Tor and Steamwheedle Cartel, but due to the cross-realm zones, I think you could see anyone from other RP realms. Thankfully it is limited to RP-only, however, if you join a group where the leader is not on an RP realm, I think that would phase you into a non-RP CRZ, but I am not certain if there are further restrictions or guidelines about how these operate. I believe trade channels and the like will still be linked to your connected realms, since you aren’t able to trade with unconnected realms. When I’m on a non-RP realm, I see characters from all over, and I’m sure grouping with others makes it even more diverse.

1 Like

TYVM Marwenna-azgalor ,
This is exactly what im seeing! @BLIZZARD please document this officially. Whether as a known bug or in a FAQ on how CRZ works, or whatever fills the gap. I’ve spent way to much energy trying to figure this out, with way to little official documentation to go on.

1 Like