✅ Next Experiment: 1-2-2 SoloTank

The next experiment they should do is:

1-2-2 Solo Tank

Just take exactly what they did so far in 1-3-2, but reduce the number of DPS by one.

This won’t reduce the DPS queue times quite as much, but it should be 50% faster than 2-2-2. Which is still pretty good.

That said, I think they should make a couple edits to the formerly offtank main tanks:

All Tanks

• Can bodyblock ultimates like EarthShatter, and Self Destruct, to protect teammates standing behind them.
  • All forms of CC and Status effects are reduced by 50% effect/duration.
  • Ultimate charge given to enemies is reduced by 50%.

Barrier Tanks

If BarrierTanks remain too dominant. They could buff up the damage dealt by non-barrier tanks, or reduce BarrierHP

Roadhog

Fart Shield

• Friendly players in the area of effect are immune/cleansed from stuns and status effects.
A lot of the problem with Fart Shield is that it left teammates wide open to all forms of status effects and crowd control. In particular, an Ana grenade would shut it down hard. This prevents that downside.

D.va

Defence Matrix

• Cooldown removed.
  • No resource drained when using the ability.
  • Blocks attacks from Beam based weapons.
  • Blocks/Cancels Hack ability casting.
  • Resource is drained when damage is taken.
  • Equivalent barrier HP of 1000, with 200HP/sec regeneration after 2 sec of not using Defence Matrix.
This changes Defence Matrix to behave more like a normal barrier. But also makes it a lot more useful as a Main Tank ability.
5 Likes

If Defense Matrix doesn’t block beams,ice,hacks, discord orbs ect. then she’s still a throw pick in this mode.

In a solo tank enviroment Tanks are basically forced to have an answer for literally everything or face nonviability.

7 Likes

How about we add that then.

1 Like

could you imagine a fart shield meta?

dva can counter hack, by no reload shotguns or matrixing the person getting hacked.

Just add a Comp Classic…

3 Likes

Defense Matrix needs to stop hack if you want her to be a viable team shield.

Otherwise while being said team shield sombra can walk up to her behind a blue barrier (or zarya bubble), hold M2 for half a second and win.

This isnt optional by the way, you either do this or she’s not a main tank.

1 Like

Does it though? If Dva can flick off the barrier, shoot, then put it back on.

Doesn’t that accomplish almost the same thing?

1 Like

It does. You have to keep in mind we already have tanks with answers to everything. Like Zarya or any Blue barrier tank.

What happens if sombra under a zarya bubble or behind a blue barrier just holds m2 for half a second? D.Va just loses. There is no counterplay other than to mirror with a Zarya or actual Main tank of your own.

This also applies to Earth Shatter and any other things primarly blocked with blue barriers over DM. The coverage is that important.

Decent enough arguments, added that matrix blocks hack casting, and have it so all Tanks can bodyblock ultimates like EarthShatter.

The problem is that the issue with 1-3-2 was that solo tanking is still bad, not that 3 dps is too many.

1 Like

That’s why I added some fixes to the solo tanks that were bad.

Also I still think less DPS would reduce the amount of sniper issues, and make it so Healers aren’t constantly getting dived on.

Sombra, for instance, is really popular with 3DPS, but may be a strong weakness for the team with 2DPS.

I actually think solo tanking could work, be that 5v5 or 6v6, but it would required such drastic change, I don’t think Overwtach is the position to do that.

Here’s how I see tanks in solo scene:

• Damage and support heroes have “regular” type attacks. These would never go through tank’s defensive resources.
  • Tank’s defensive resources works against all “regular” damage types, regardless.
  • Tank’s primary attacks is not “regular damage” and always goes through any defensive resources. They are “undeniable”, but have little range.

The only exceptions would be the melee button (which now is a different type of attack than those melee-like primaries such as Brigitte’s swing) and Torb’s hammer, because he’s got one and think that’s cute.

Meaning:

• Every tank can peel against most things.
  • Every tank can engage space from other tanks because they are all “undeniable” damage.

Problems:

• Some attacks are flat out unfit to exist. Doomfist entire kit, Genji’s dash and blade, Brig’s primary. Those would need tough reworks. I don’t think we can rework a beloved hero like Genji, that would be another Mercy fiasco in our hands, I don’t want that.
1 Like

Does Orisa’s fortify not block shatter behind her? Mei’s ice block does.

1 Like

It does not.

Despite being a robot, Orisa refuses to be objectified.

3 Likes

Also doesn’t stop Hammond at all.

1 Like

Well now I feel like an idiot. I always feel so proud when I Fortify just as Rein is shattering me, thinking I just did my team a service…

2 Likes

Hack is a problem on tanks at five seconds, imo, even in 122. A hacked WB on live needs bailing out by his team, a hacked WB in 122 will be even less likely to survive, and a hacked WB in 132 dies, goes to Hell, dies again, and goes to Hell’s Hell.

Not that I’m against adding Hack negation to DM and presumably KG, but it might be a more thorough approach to make CC in general less effective against tanks. Whether it’s a cap on how long you can be CC’d, diminishing returns, even outright immunity to certain forms of CC, I’m not fussy - but solo tanks should be that much harder to control.

2 Likes

You can’t fix solo tanks out of the main issue about solo tanks, which is that there’s only one of them.

The correct solution is to not play Sombra. 3 DPS helps crutch over her weakness but an actual good DPS is better.

1 Like

Quick question: why did I get a finger pointing notification that directed me to this thread?

It’s a nice read but I’m not sure how to feel about DM having a Damage absorbed resource allocation. Up against double turrets (bastion and Torb) DM might last for even less time than it does currently, and would last for even less time against a full bunker.

I invited you to the thread.

That said,
looks like 3-2-1 is hated by support players. Which is killing a lot of the queue time benefits.

Time to try out 1-2-2.