I'm not convinced most OW2 defenders aren't shills

If no one complained, you wouldn’t have had the capability to buy event cosmetics with in-game currency. All cosmetics would have been locked behind RNG lootboxes.

Yet that changed because of backlash and Blizzard still made millions.

Sorry, but if I can’t post on OW2-related threads without being immediately targeted and called a shill I don’t think I’m the issue here.

I’ve been plenty critical of Blizzard over their balancing of Overwatch 1, the lack of new content, the Hong Kong stuff, the terrible workplace culture on some teams, the horrible Activision-Blizzard upper management and Team 4’s overall terrible communication “strategy” around Overwatch 2.

But because I’ve taken a “wait and see” approach to Overwatch 2 (as I do with literally all games - for instance, I enjoyed New World despite what the internet hivemind had to say about that one) and am excited to try it out that makes me a shill? Or is it because I call out misinformation or exaggeration where I see it?

It’s fine to have a different opinion. Go ahead. But if the best you’ve got is an insult or a false accusation, it makes your own position look weak and you’re wasting everyone’s time.

The whole “You like Overwatch 2, you must be a paid actor” thing has huge Alex Jones vibes to it and it sucks. Do better.

7 Likes

That entirely depends on what you were saying. Simply saying “I like OW2 and I think its going to succeed” would be entirely fine in my book, but we haven’t been getting just that. And again, it would also depend on how you respond to me saying the opposite.

I’ve been quoting some comments that are doing the shill post stuff I’m talking about. I’ve also explained why I think they’re shill posts and not just average people who like the game.

3 Likes

Hey I’ve noticed that too but I also noticed something on the opposite end. People will only say bad things because they really care for Overwatch and don’t want to see it turn into a mess.

I can afford $10 and will probably buy BP in future seasons because I really loved the betas. But if you don’t like OW2 I don’t see why this is even an issue. I don’t buy Fortnite BP because I don’t like Fortnite lol.

3 Likes
  1. Well I asked for 5v5 with role passives like a week after they tried 1-3-2
    ✅ Next Experiment: 1-2-2 SoloTank

2. Yeah, very happy with 5v5. Probably even better than I expected.

3. I think it was pretty boring, and was a problem. Too much MOBA, not enough FPS. But the other problem is that it made it so that heroes like Orisa and Sigma sucked a lot more in middle/low ELOs. Middle/low ELO Tank meta got to be really really bland.

4. I’ve probably put more time into thinking about Role Queue and Tank design than the entire forum combined. Literally like 300 or 400 hours on this. That said, could they have balanced Tanks differently? Sure. But 5v5 was one of the only ways they could have balanced Tanks, while also addressing queue times. But generally what it would have come down to is basically gutting any sort of “unmatrixable peel” that is on a Tank with a barrier, or a hero that isn’t a Tank. Basically make that exclusive to OffTanks. That, or a gimicky “If Two Barrier Tanks on a Team, Then give them this debuff, like less barrier cooldown/regen speed”

5. Tons of things I like, Tank gameplay and queue times fixes. Dunno, I think the UI is a bit bland and the sound design still needs a bit more polish. Oh, and I still think Hog/D.va/Doom are a bit underwhelming, and Widow/Hanzo/Sojourn probably are due for nerfs.

1 Like

Cool, appreciate the feedback :+1:

Many are. Streamers for example, you can’t take anything they say or push seriously. Their income depends on OW2 being successful, so no successful OW streamer will be overly negative about OW2.

and if you do there’s nothing to be worried about either, man, just let people enjoy the things they want, also, btw, shill is as much of an insult as anything you may have been called by anyone on this forum, so you might want to rethink your rethoric

Its all perspective, i read these forums and think if blizzard said they were sending everyone money we would instantly see 30 threads pop up complaining about it. A lot of people hate this game, where it is, where its going, and yet cant move on. Not just the forums either, 3 of my 6 qp matches today had people on the losing side give up and emote spam less then a minute in lol then say its a dead game whats it matter.

Its poor mental for something you should be enjoying.

2 Likes

Blizzard just burned all remaining good will today, the only people excited are the ones blinded by the shiny skins they either can or cannot afford(which still feels terrible no matter what).

1 Like

The shills are blatantly obvious. I could drop names but it’s against the rules. I think there are some legit defenders. It’s easy to distinguish them from each other.

2 Likes

If you believe that everyone defending OW2 are shills then I don’t think you were open to hearing other people’s opinions in the first place. Also, if you go looking for evidence that fits your beliefs, the only evidence that’s going to stand out to you are the ones that confirm what you already think. I’m actively against corporations seeming as though they’re the cause for so many issues in the U.S. and the world. I know an exploitative business practice when I see one, but this BP is not one of them.

I’m not gonna read your novel but I’m happy for you and/or sorry that happened to you

For me it’s pretty simple.

As a working adult, paying $10 every few months for ‘entertainment’ on a game I play almost daily is a no-brainer…

What’s the big deal? :thinking: :upside_down_face: :wink:

3 Likes

Besides FOMO, what else is the problem?

Believe me, I side with you, but you’re not making a very good argument here.

Such as?

Doesn’t matter where criticism is posted. Blizzard’ll know. Whether they care enough to do something about it, is really based on the fans and what they’re willing to put up with. As long as there’s a profit, they’ll keep trucking. Remember, you’re a minority of a minority.

RPGs don’t have meatshields. MMOs do. MOBAs also don’t have meatshields. Unless they’re explicitly designed for it.

This is the argument that most players need to overcome, but it is a really sound one. I’m not sure anyone here is quite capable of presenting an equally valid argument.

Not necessarily true. Views thrive on conflict and anger, if it’s profitable to rag on OW2, the streamers will do it. They’re aren’t being paid by Blizzard, nor did they sign any contracts saying otherwise. In fact, many of those streamers and influencers are freely-unpaid shills for a product they continue to put money towards, thus generating the company revenue.

Indeed. No one has made a good answer for this yet.

4 Likes

I suspect these forums have younger people that don’t work or need to ask parents for purchases and/or people without disposable income.

I would love someone to explain to me how me, as a working adult, who choses to spend a tiny fraction of my income ($10 every few months) on a game that entertains me with hundreds of hours of fun is somehow a bad idea? :thinking: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The point of disagreement is that it’s entertaining. You enjoy OW2? Great! A lot of us don’t so won’t spend money on it.

1 Like

So…you ‘don’t’ enjoy OW? Are you saying you’re quitting? :thinking:

I’m unsure why someone would use a forum of a game they plan on quitting and/or ‘don’t enjoy’ playing… :wink: :thinking: :upside_down_face:

Potentially.

1 Like