Mei - The Silver Surfer

I proposed that time ago. Useless saying that my thread was buried.
I like the idea, she surf in one of her highlight so…

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be more like Iceman than Silver Surfer? Surfer doesn’t have ice powers…

3 Likes

Well, if it makes me move faster, why not? xD You gotta know when to stop looking at the ground though

1 Like

Eh, as kinda neat as the idea is, I don’t really see it as something practical. I don’t really think that it’d change too awful much if they actually did. It’d be giving a niche hero more strange, niche quirks instead of actually buffing her.

Dudeee, I messed up. I wanted to say “Frozone” from the incredibles, ahah. I’m a failure!

1 Like

This is actually something we talked about when she was first being designed! The main issue with it for us was that it meant that you were basically always staring at the ground as you moved around. We then thought about it as an ability where snowball would fly out in front of you and lay a path that you could slide on, but ultimately decided to try to avoiding giving her extra mobility.

From a game design standpoint, shes a hero that is more about slowing enemies and stopping them, rather than herself being fast. In general, we often find ourselves trying to resist putting tons of mobility on every hero, to make sure we keep every hero feeling unique.

170 Likes

I can understand that, as there is a feeling of frustration when you’re playing someone like Roadhog with zero mobility, you’re always like “damn I wish I could be moving faster”

4 Likes

I see, that makes sense.

On another note, is reloading during Cryo something you’ve tried?

5 Likes

Well, sliding on snow is unique. No others heroes could do that. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you a lot for the feedback and it indeed sounds reasonable :slight_smile: Sending snowball would be a really cool ability but it would make her really strong (even though it would work really well with her kit). Constantly staring at the ground would be a problem if you used it in the middle of the fight, but I think it would give place to a lot of cool mechanics.

But I understand your decision, Mei is already annoying and giving her extra mobility would only contribute to her being even more annoying, and would be counter productive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Slow other people down rather than speed herself up, eh? than what if she could ice the ground and make enemy players slip?

2 Likes

Perhaps too cartoony for OW, but the thought of Mei rolling into a giant snowball that grows as she travels could make for a fun variation on Cryo.

1 Like

His point on not giving every hero mobility.
——>
Your head.

Mei just needs more finetuning for her freezing. I really don’t think she needs a new ability or rework.

8 Likes

This is a really good idea because it would allow Mei to catch up with slippery targets

We don’t care. It’s cool.
if u don’t want stuff in game because u want everything to be unique, then u’ve already forgotten that a game is meant to be COOL.

1 Like

you have to stare at the ground for ice wall… You also need to push 2 buttons to place it, which is counter productive for wall purpose

1 Like

mei able to freeze people and you want her to go fast as lucio?

yeah no thanks would be borderline broken

1 Like

Mei is fine, she just needs to have some of her bugs fixed.

4 Likes

She wouldn’t be able to freeze opponents and move faster at the same time :slight_smile: Because if she is freezing the ground, she can’t freeze the opponent

I NEEEEED IT!

(16 characters lul)