Let's talk about the Mei in the room

Right, but we’re also talking about close range flankers (Genji, Tracer, Doomfist) and Lucio. They will have to dive on OT no matter what but to contest without proper backup against one Mei? Even if one or two of them came at a Mei at once, I feel like it would almost require a solo ult, possibly wasting two because of lack of comms. I’m just speculating, though.

The real secret to Mei is that she’s playing a different game. Her job is to run down the clock. She’s by far the best stall hero in the game, and her ultimate wins overtime. On attack she’s mediocre, but she’s an amazing defence hero.

2 Likes

What you’re suggesting is still wrong. Mei has a very high skill floor and skill ceiling, and people don’t realise it.

The solution is NOT to buff Mei simply so that she can be utilised at lower ranks. Mei’s has a kit that would be very easy to overtune.

I hate to be that person, but you simply need to get good. Mei is a very powerful hero, and many of the things you listed in your OP are in fact non-issues.

4 Likes

I like where mei is… but I think it would be fun if she lost her self heal and gained some ice-slick ability. BUT people treat this game as a pure FPS and hate any movement altering ability so that’s out the window…

that would be cool and help with the armor stacking problems at hand

If you’re referring to sliding around to make her faster then:

1 Like

Her iceblock is clutch AF. I would hate to see them alter it.

Really? From what I’ve seen Mei is quite strong right now. You just have to use her at the right times (the whole premise of this games switching mechanic), ie you can’t expect to get the same level of effectiveness on a koth map as on Hanamura defence.

Her wall is so strong for isolating one enemy and picking them off. Denying an enemy push 9/10 times on maps with strong chokes.

Also, her new freeze time is insane. I play primarily tank and I’ve had Mei’s walk into my team, freeze me, I live because of my health pool, but because her freeze is so fast I’m frozen again as soon as I walk away. I’ve played Winston and used my jump as soon as I noticed Mei on me but still been frozen when my jump lands. Playing Roadhog and being repeatedly frozen because of your slow speed until you finally die is annoying as hell.

Also regarding her ult being eaten by D.va, what about Tracer ult? Pharah ult? Soldier ult? McCree ult? Zarya ult? All eaten by D.va. You just need to work with your team and get them to help focus D.va mech/distract her, and call out when DM is used up just like all those other heroes. If you ult right in the face of a D.va, its likely your fault your ult is eaten. Granted, some of the time the D.va seems to do a 180, matrix for a split second, and eat your ult, but that is the exception not the rule.

Also her ult denied by Lucio and Zen? Really? That’s what Lucio and Zen are for. They are supposed to deny your ult. They are supposed to trade their ult for yours to save their team.

Only thing I could see Mei needing is for her ult to be a bit faster, there seems to be a pretty significant delay between when you press Q and when the ice actually starts freezing people and often everyones moved out of the way. Edit: also somebody mentioned making her ice block thing reload her gun, just like Reaper’s wraith form that’d be good.

1 Like

Just a quick tip but DM requires LoS to work so if you wall in front of a D.Va before using your ult she can’t eat it.

I’d like Mei’s Ice Wall to have a shadow on the ground that her team can see.

Shhh let them buff her, I’ll never lose defence again!

Until they overbuff her then nerf her to non-existence.

Yes I can, she’s strong on both of those! It’s attack where she suffers. KoTH is like Mei happy place.

She can work on attack, too, but I’m sure the higher toxic ELOs won’t like it. I often use her on attack so that her wall can bridge barrier CDs. Highly effective for that in addition to her regular utility.

Well after they rework Sym and possibly Torb, she really only has to fight with Bastion and Sombra for last place.

Yeah in certain circumstances, but requires a much different use of her kit and I find many attack teams aren’t used to exploiting the safe areas her walls create.

and yet more than half the cast have a mobility ability

I don’t like the word wrong. In this instance, it implies lack of truth, or absolute falsity. Generally speaking, an opinion about a potential change cannot be true or false, just an opinion. It’s simply a thought, and can neither be correct nor incorrect without actual data.

They are non-issues, if you’re ignoring the primary issues, which are the ineffective and inconsistent results produced. They cannot simply be dismissed through meme, and they cannot be dismissed through denial that the problems exist at all.

There are many problems, and the character is not picked because of multiple problems not having solutions in many situations. Solutions presented by other, more effective and well rounded characters.

1 Like

Arguments on balanced are based on knowledge and experience of heroes. From my point of view, your statements imply a misunderstanding based on a half-baked knowledge of Mei’s kit, and her full capability.

For instance, you claiming that barriers are a problem for Mei is very similar to the notion that Pharmercy is overpowered in lower ranks. In reality, Pharah is not even a meta pick, and is almost completely reliant on a Mercy pocket to ever get anything done. Similarly, Mei is stronger than most people realise.. There is just an inherent lack of people who play her correctly.

With my experience vs. yours, I have to say that you are wrong.

Can you play some games with me, so I can understand your Mei better? I’m an avid skeptic about everything. I usually need pieces of anecdotal evidence, to better understand complex topics.