CC Counters Low Mobility More Than High Mobility

This will always be the case. What you have to consider instead is the idea of, ‘Are they using their CC effectively?’ Just because someone on your team applied a CC to a target that’s easy to hit with it doesn’t mean that they’re using it to best benefit your team. If you sleep the Rein across the map but leave the Tracer to blink through your team putting out deterrent damage, is it really a good sleep? I mean you landed it.

The point is, that yes, CC will always affect low mobility targets worse, but that you probably don’t really ‘need’ it to deal with them so to say it’s hurting them exceptionally probably isn’t true, it’s just a more annoying experience to get hit with a CC before you die instead of just dying. The only reason Brigitte is in the spotlight is because she has hers up often enough that she doesn’t really need to be too picky, but this is offset by the fact that it doesn’t have that large of an effect and without it, she’d likely be a pretty awful pick in general.

Something to also keep in mind, is that just because you have a CC doesn’t mean you get to land it for free. Those people playing the dive characters that are oppressing your team are putting a lot of forethought and effort into who they’re going after, why, and how, so it’s not like you should just get an aimbot that hits them with the guaranteed death ability for you. It requires some finesse of your own, some more than others based on how much of an effect it has.

1 Like

I hope Blizz notices how many people with low-to-zero post count have gotten onto the forums just to complain about this. They may really be on the edge of ruining their game.

I had to joke about the Mei buff: they’ve been trying all year to make us stop playing but we won’t, so now they’ll make us unable to play…

3 Likes

I’d wish more people thought this way.

2 Likes

Totally aggree.

All ultimates and habilitys on overwatch are more effective vs low movement heros.

2 Likes

There are a mix of factors at play here. CC abilities tend to have short ranges. Mobile characters tend to be flankers who need to get close to the opposing team to be most effective.

In that sense, CC abilities affect mobile characters more.

That said, as a McCree main, I completly agree with you that cc is lot harder to land against mobile characters. Flashbang is almost useless against a good tracer unless that tracer is somehow distracted. The more I fight good tracers, the more I’m realizing that the best use of fb is to actually not use it. The threat of the fb keeps a tracer at bay, where she can’t out-damage your support’s healing output. As soon as your fb is on cooldown, the tracer is free to move in and take you out quickly.

1 Like

So you want silencer from dota2 lol

I really like this idea. A cripple ability that only effect mobility such as Soldier sprint, Genji dash or Sombra sprint.

1 Like

That’s true. You can flash and rocket punch to stun people out of most movement abilities, or slow them down to stop them getting away but these things have no effect on instant mobilities like blink/dash. Plenty of people have suggested things like the distance travelled is reduced depending how frozen you are.

Another option is a % cripple which would affect faster moving characters more. That said, why use a hero that has a cripple over a hero with a stun? You’d have to make the cripple easier to land in order to make up for the greater benefit of the stun but doing so may be too much of a nerf to mobility.

Genji’s Swiftstrike and Tracer’s blink act more like teleportation instead of movement, but unlike Sombra’s and Reaper’s teleportation ability, does Tracer’s an Genji’s teleportation ability put them on a fixed distance.

Reinhardt’s Charge and Doomfist’s Rocketpunch are slower movement abilities. They push the character instead of teleporting them to a fixed distance.

What freeze could have done is putting (teleportation) skill on a longer cooldown or decrease the fixed distance. This would make Mei only stronger to Genji and Tracer, and other slow moving heroes are not affected by it.

But Mei is no longer designed to be an anti-flanker/anti-mobility, but is instead being buffed to be more anti-tank.

Right now are mobile heroes the least affected by CC.

1 Like

Actually Genji is in a hospital alongside Ana,Reaper and Rein.

No reason to pick those 3 when you can play Moira,Tracer,Orisa and Sombra instead of Ana,Reaper,Rein and Genji

Cripple will have a longer duration, let’s say 3 sec while stun have around 1 sec.

1 Like

Jeff: We made Mei to counter high-mobility flankers.

Also Jeff: She’s useless against high-mobility.

This is the ultimate problem of the game honestly. Mobility is just too strong in this game and everything you add to counter mobility does a better job at countering the low mobility heroes…
Brigitte is supposed to counter mobility? Good joke…
You know what i’m seeing more and more in QP? (she’s not in comp so…) Lucio + Brigitte + the usual Genji and Tracer and whatever tanks.
Lucio allow brigitte to quickly get in your face and brigitte help the hero that dive with her armor and ulti…

Mobility is just too strong in this game.

Brigitte is a perfect hard counter for McCree, that’s for sure.
I don’t believe that adding one more hard counter for McCree was the right move. Like you said, heroes with high mobility will just avoid her until there is an opening.

That’s the thing though.
Some heroes are designed with a specific role in mind, but they were changed to fit a different role.

Take Mei as an example:

Mei is designed to slow down and stop movement. In other words, a counter to mobility.
Her whole kit just screams anti-flanker, but Mei is anything but a counter to mobility.
Some might even say that mobility counter Mei.
Her role is no longer being anti-flanker/anti-mobility. She has even changes on PTR to make her better as an anti-tank.
This was also Mei’s biggest issue. She didn’t had a role in the game besides last minute point stalling (which isn’t a healthy role btw).

Well the same thing probably applies to Reaper. His old kit allowed him to pick up healing orbs/souls.
Is that the kind of kit you would give to a tank buster? No.
He was clearly designed to fit a different role, but he eventually became a tank buster, because his kit fits that role. The developers even gave him a more suitable passive ability to make him better at that role.

Or what about Dva? Didn’t Geoff said in the past that she was great at protecting Junkrat’s Riptire?
Well she no longer a protector anymore with her 2 second Defense Matrix. Instead is she now a bully tank.

Sombra became a better anti-flanker/anti-mobility with her latest changes. Before that was she a disruptor who was good at disabling barriers and being an EMP bot.

It doesn’t counter low mobility because heroes with low mobility don’t depend on it, so stopping a slow hero has less of an impact to them than stopping a character with mobility.
If you land cc on a mobile character, you are more rewarded for CC’ing them than a slow hero because they are more helpless than a hero that can ,for example, rapidly heal themselves.

Low mobility characters are more adapted to surviving cc because they don’t depend on it.
Which cc is more useful? A stun on a tracer, or a stun on a Zenyatta?

100% agree. I’ve been preaching this since launch.

TF2 has taught me that mobile classes don’t fear their mobility being taken away, they fear when it doesn’t matter to begin with. Even though Scouts are way more mobile than anything in Overwatch, they’re deathly afraid of Pockets because the Pocket can just shred them with a combination of splash damage and hitscan.

Currently, there’s nothing in Overwatch to adequately fill this role. Blizzard keeps trying to double down on the CC, despite the fact that it clearly doesn’t work. I guarantee you if there were one or more pocket-style classes in Overwatch, Dive’s viability would plummet.

You already see it to some extent, with Winston giving Genji a lot of grief because the mobility is useless vs. his primary fire, and Tracer having difficulty with things like damage boosted Pharah who just erases her if she’s close enough to land a direct.

They should just straight up nerf Dive specially the OP Tracer!

1 Like

For CC to not punish slower heroes disproportionately I’m beginning to think most of the CC abilities/effects need to scale with hero speed, or inversely with hero size.