Crossplay update soft region locked everyone

Unless the company making the game decides they want people playing in their proper regions.

It takes less then an hour to get used to 130ms instead of 40ms, and then there isn’t any difference anymore.

With this change you are never 100% sure of playing on the region your in. So people will randomly be put into higher ping or lower ping.

A player that only plays on 130ms will have their MMR/SR based on that. Someone that never has played on higher ping will play noticeable worse if suddenly put into higher ping.

There are already people from NA, solo-queueing and ending up in Eu games, and the other way around. This change just takes away the choice and makes it bad.

1 Like

and for all those whinging about ruining games with ping. A lot of players switch servers. Good example of this is Frogger. Him being on a different doesnt change the flow of said game. It is a minuscule disadvantage at best and if you really think the reason why you are hard stuck gold is due to someone on 120 ping. I’m sorry to say you couldn’t be more wrong.

But they don’t. They don’t limit you to playing in your region, you just get thrown into other regions’ games randomly without having the choice to go to another region. If they already match you into NA games from EU or into KR games from NA, there is no harm in letting the player decide to play there all the time.

I could somewhat understand them limiting it to your own region, lock ppl out of other regions. I don’t think that would be smart, but I could see it. The way it is now is just horrible.

2 Likes

I fully agree that this is the best solution.
Try changing the server by pressing the server selection button in the Bnet launcher.
Oh wait, that literally doesn’t do anything anymore.
What a joke.

3 Likes

You do realize the “Americas” region englobes NA/SA/AU and SEA? There are people from outside of NA in your games with higher ping than someone from EU, and they are in “their server”.

1 Like

That’s actually false.
I get 19ms to Amsterdam but 310 to KR.
1gbps connection btw.

That is not very helpful as that only describe how big your own “pipe” is to your ISP. The latency is the measurement from the game server, passing through all the internet hubs, to your router is and that is subjected how the infrastructure between you and the server is laid out.

Is this intended?

1 Like

If you are encountering it in your own matches, report in the thread which I have started here as I am pooling this information.

300 might be high for EU to ME, but it’s not out of the world.
I usually get around 150 ms when playing on ME servers. I live in central Europe with very good ping to many parts of the world due to my close connection to DE-CIX, the biggest network node in Europe. So I will be in the lower ping range of Europeans playing on ME servers. Now assume I’m playing with someone from Norway or Ireland, I can see them easily pass 200 ms, maybe even pushing 250 ms if they are on the slower side with their ISP. Not quite 300 ms, but still really bad.

I can play on east coast servers with ~120 ms (with 20-30ms on EU servers), there is no reason it should put me into ME servers, but it still does. Let me choose NA over ME, the difference in game quality is incredible.

1 Like

Funny to see high profile streamers rioting at this when South Americans never had the region distinction and always had to block server IPs in the firewall or VPN.

Get over yourselves, lmao.

So because it has been bad for South America the whole time, people who had the choice before can’t complain about not having a choice anymore after having it for the longest time? Absolutely unflawed logic there.

5 Likes

Battle.net’s regional cluster system comes from a need from the time it was designed, as things such as this interconnected cloud weren’t a thing 15-20 years ago. It wasn’t meant as a “lol ez vpn button”. It’s an outdated and preposterous design to keep in the world we live in, and has been a hinder on things for ages as the continents get better and better interconnectivity.

Also, no sane game developer will deliberately let players choose which region they want to queue in because it may severely hinder on the matchmaking system, generating unnecessarily longer queues.

2 Likes

This update has ruined 5 years of the game for me,

I have always played USA servers, since the early days of the game.

Now 5 years of playing, I’m forced to play in a different region, with different ping, unable to do all the stuff I’ve been doing for years cause I’m just not used to it.

People say “just get a VPN” but there are many games I play that forbid the use of a VPN and imagine if I played the game, forgetting to turn off VPN… I’d find myself banned so it’s not worth the risk.

3 Likes

Can confirm, flexible shift player on east coast here who got a aroun 20% chance of being put into 250 ms matches around 12:00am to 2:00 am. It’s annoying.

2 Likes

You’ll have to explain that. If it leads to longer queues if some people play on another server, that isn’t the issue but a symptom of not having enough players play the game. I don’t see this being the case in Europe except for maybe GM, so it only really affects a very small percentage of the playerbase as well.
And that would be the only hinderance being on another server region could cause for the matchmaking system. For everything else it will just treat you like a player from that region, so there shouldn’t be a difference.

2 Likes

I’m from South America and getting in EU matches. This is stupid. I’m getting more than 200ms latency and it’s annoying to play. If at least I play in NA with 120ms is ok, mas 200ms???

Won’t play if stay like this

4 Likes

nah cross play is some complete :poop:. U bet im not playing this game until they remove this feature O_O

Hey everyone!

Today’s Global Battle.net update has caused some confusion in the community about region locking and swapping, so let’s take a moment to provide some clarity about details that might not be immediately clear:

Why can’t I swap regions anymore?

The simple answer is, you are placed into the best match based on a variety of factors including player skill and ping. Getting more technical, it’s because the regions themselves no longer exist (at least not in the way players traditionally understand them), so there is no region to swap to.

But my friends all play in a different region than I do!

You’ll still be able to play with your friends in other regions. In the case that you’re in a party, our systems work to place you in games with the lowest ping and best skill level for you or your party. These changes are aimed at ensuring that queue times are minimized and that the average ping is relatively low.

Outside of gameplay, some have noted that General chat contains players from all regions. Global chat is no longer locked to a particular region, meaning that you can see messages from players in other regions. However, this has no bearing on who you are matched with in games.

All that said, we’re currently tracking and communicating feedback that there are certain instances where the ability to change your region manually feels necessary. This feedback will be helpful as the design team prioritizes improvements and future development of the Global Play functionality.

We have made a configuration change recently (post-release) that should greatly reduce the frequency of getting into matches with high ping. Many of the reports we’ve seen today of players getting into mismatched regions have been at incredibly high MMR as the system expands its parameters to find a fair match. We’ll continue to keep an eye on this and making adjustments as needed.

38 Likes