Crossplay broke OW

Now here me out, ever since crossplay, not only have my latency went from between 25-30, I get games with latency 50 and higher, alot of audio cut outs too that I don’t experience with other games but this one only, will they ever fix these bugs (im on console)

2 Likes

The latency thing was apparently intended. They messed with how the servers work, no longer allowing people to pick where they play, so now the matchmaker puts you where it thinks is best based on your ping, however, a lot of people are saying it’s not really working and is actually putting them on servers with higher ping.

2 Likes

Interesting - hasn’t happened to me.

What region are you in?

To be more specific in most cases, it will connect you to your fastest datacenter in most matches. However there are caveats which can cause a player to connect to a more distant server. Usually when the matchmaking pool for that player is extremely limited, and this is due to extremely high or low skill rating, playing in a low populated region, or playing during low peak times (like 4 in the morning of your local time zone). Here are more specific details:

This small change in latency does not suggest being paired into servers more distant from your closest ones. Its more suggestive that you have a connection issue between you and the game server. A WinMTR test is a great way to determine why such a problem could be happening.

Please provide a more specific detailed report carefully describing your situation in the #bug-report forum. Also, try resetting your Sound options in Overwatch in case something might be messed up by accident in there.

So I’m always going to be placed in matches with horrible latencies then? thats broken, I would like to enjoy this game without having to fight lag and overall have a smooth experience like before, I can’t even play comp because I’m worried the lag is going to get so bad that I get kicked out of servers, honestly it’s a mess

This now explains the plethora of terms like “basura” in chat now… lovely.

And as for audio cut outs, I mean game sounds from characters call outs, to even teammates and opponents calling their ults cut out too, I have also did a reset for my audio and still have this problem I jumped over to my buds Xbox and he to is having this problem, even my cousin on pc has told me he’s experienced this too lots of times

Once again, there are not enough details that you have provided for me to give you a specific idea of what is going on. Either tell me your exact Competitive SR (for all roles), your general region (City, Country is helpful), and when you typically play, and I can give a rough idea to how often you may be getting paired outside of your native datacenter.

However, I am more leaning to the fact there may be a routing issue with your specific connection. So consider doing the WinMTR test that I mentioned above.

Will the mtr test work for console? I always thought that was mostly for pc? And yeah I’ll try it out

I think there is a setting in Options > Video which turns on the NetGraph for console platforms. You do need a Windows computer (of any kind) on the same home network as your console do this however.

1 Like

I’m still trying to figure out how to properly work our mtr, but to give added info, I usually play between the times of 10am to about 1pm (during breaks from online classes) and again between 2pm to 10pm, I play on the western region N.A, SR for role queue Tank:2699, dps: N/A, support:2145, and open queue its 2371, hope this is enough info, from what I got I play passing south central, close to New York and outwards sometimes

So basically based on this information, I am leaning closer to something blocking your connection to the Los Angeles Servers rather than it being Global Play matchmaking. Again a WinMTR would help narrow down and there is a way to do it without direct use of the console. Following the instructions in the support guide I linked to, just plug in the manual IP address of both the U.S. West and U.S. Central datacenters (located at the bottom of the guide in the Overwatch section).

It seems as if servers in cali or any where close to my region are inactive, for even my friend from cali on his Xbox 1 is getting games in the same areas as me too