Ow2 does not need this

Hands down, ow2 needs to get rid of that trash region lock crap, give pc and console the ability to choose which region they play, because hands down being forced to play in regions with over 100 ping is insane and a poor experience too, seriously no one asked for region lock!!

8 Likes

Indeed, I do not want to play on Middle Eastern servers just because my queue was as long as it always was… Please keep me NA… West. Like, how the hell did end up there? They really thought it was a best fit with my 300 ping? Nah, fam. Nope. No.

4 Likes

There is a way to avoid Middle East servers forever. I think there are plenty of threads about it around here and Reddit. Give it a try.

If you refer to IP blocking, that is proving to be ineffective. Blizzard does rotate their IP addresses frequently and can cause issues such as the “Failed to connect to server error” if you are assigned to a match on a server to an IP address you have been blocking, which results in Competitive Leaver penalties. Do not attempt to block the IP addresses. It is instead better to try and use a VPN service.

I think what you mean is region lock needs to come back.

Region lock was disabled. Region lock is what we used to select the server region we wanted.

Blizzard got rid of region lock and introduced their idea of “global servers” which is what we have now.

To be more specific, there were generalized regions and not specific data centers. Americas included North America, South America, and Australia. Asia included Korea, the Pacific, and Japan. Europe includes Europe and the Middle East. (There is also the China region, but that is not on BattleNet, it is operated by NetEase.) Each region included at least three data centers and even then you were connected to the data center that has the best latency in most cases (the only exceptions are if you play during a low-peak hour or you are a very high-ranked player). The Global Play system we have today simply no longer separates by region in terms of matchmaking, which you can learn why this happens here:

Absolutely agree 100%.

Playing OCE with a low server population, just let me take the ping hit and jump onto NA servers with a far larger population.

Instead of sitting on your “we have to maintain the latency of OW” attitude (which mind you, since the crossplay update was introduced, latency on my screen vs enemy screen has been horrendous), devs actually understand how your low pop game on servers like OCE make for a worse experience.

It’s also ironic because for our high skill OCE players, they’ve got to VPN to the states anyway to get the Top 500 games which you can’t get on OCE.

EDIT: OCE has always been grouped under “NA servers” which has been fascinating logic for southern hemisphere countries to be grouped under NA, but it would be good to have separate and accessible (menu system like Apex Legends thanks!) NA / OCE servers but also access to others like Asia & South Korea too.

1 Like

they have to disguise how little players have remained in the game and cut queue times

1 Like

Funnily enough the game didnt use to have region lock. For some reason the devs thought it was a good idea to introduce it.

2 Likes

I know some players did have some problems after IP blocking but I’ve been doing ok since I did it last year.

Maybe I just got lucky.

I would like to see you play console and tell me if having region lock is fair, hands down its horrendous having to be forced into matches with over 100 ping and playing on consoles makes the experience so utterly frustrating, just now back to back 5 times I had matches with over 100 ping, only on my 6th match I finally got a game with at least a 50 (still doesn’t make it better though) and after on my 7th game back to over 100 ping, hands down blizzard is seriously dumb for forcing something onto the player base no one asked for!!!