Information about the Global Play server selection

Hello everyone, with the introduction of the Global Play initiative for Battle.net, connecting to datacenters in different parts of the world is happening a lot more on the PC platform. I am hoping to get information to how much players encounter this and could use your help.

If you noticed increased ping in your game, it may be because you are on a different server. So that being said here is how you can look up your datacenter location code.

1. During any game (not when in the matchmaking lobby), press Ctrl+Shift+N to open the NetGraph.
  2. Next to the IP address on the top left of the NetGraph, look at the four letter+number code in brackets.

Network Graph

1. Compare that code to the list below to known which datacenter you are being connected to geographically. Note I listed the server name and the major city I believe that server is based in (actual location may slightly vary).
CODE Datacenter Location
LAX1 US West - Los Angeles
ORD1 US Central - Chicago
GRB1 Brazil 2 - Rio De Janiero
SYD2 Australia 3 - Sydney
GTK1 Japan 2 - Tokyo
GSG1 Signapore 2 - Signapore
ICN1 South Korea - Seoul
CDG1 France - Versalles
AMS1 Netherlands - Amsterdam
MES1 Bahrain - Manama

FAQ

Q. I selected the Americas region in the BattleNet app launcher, but I am connecting to European servers? What gives?
A. Since the recent Global Play update that rolled out with Crossplay Beta, players on the PC platform are no longer restricted to which servers they connect to based on general region.

Q. Can I manually choose which data center I connect to in matchmaking games?
A. No. The matchmaker will sometimes put players in datacenters farther away in order to accommodate certain aspects of matchmaking such as group combinations, hidden matchmaking rating (skill rating), or low-peak times for a certain datacenter. You can specify the datacenter only in a custom game.

Q. I play with friends from another region. Which datacenter will be connected to if we play together?
A. It’s a little difficult from the player perspective to give a specific answer for any given combination of players. However, it is more likely to jump from datacenter to datacenter when you a grouped with a player not in the same region as you which can result in larger ping for one or more players in your group.

Q. Isn’t there a way to block IP addresses so that I don’t have to play on a specific datacenter?
A. There is, but you risk technical malfunctions, leaver penalties, and connection issues. It is also not entirely effective as they change IP addresses on these datacenter servers periodically. If you do so, you do it at your own risk.

Q. Would a Virtual Private Network (VPN) service help?
A. It can have a better influence to which region you prefer to play on but it will not guarantee that you will only play in that location’s nearest datacenter. Use a VPN at your own risk.

Q. I am on my home server, but I have a lot of latency! What is going on?
A. This may be a connection issue not related to geographical distance. Click here for troubleshooting possible issues that may be happening on your end that can cause this. There can also be connection issues between you and that given datacenter in which a WinMTR test (click here) is the best way to figure out what is going on.

Blizzard has been making updates to improve better server selection for most players. Details here:

20 Likes

As an example I will be recording my own games throughout the day.

• Match 1 - Quick Play - ORD1 - Win
  • Match 2 - Quick Play - ORD1 - Win
  • Match 3 - Quick Play - ORD1 - Loss
  • Match 4 - Quick Play - GTK1 - Win (Ping rate ~150 ms)
  • Match 5 - Quick Play - ORD1 - Win
  • Match 6 - Quick Play - ORD1 - Loss/Backfill
  • Match 7 - Quick Play - ORD1 - Loss
  • Match 8 - Quick Play - ORD1 - Win
3 Likes

It was already sticking me into the Australian and Brazilian servers sometimes for unknown reasons (I’m in California) before global play, so I’m mentally prepared for all the ridiculously awful pings I’ll have to deal with.

7 Likes

Good luck, the ping is bad sometimes even if you live in Australia.

1 Like

Hey everyone, I have been encouraged to collect information about how often you all are encountering “out of region” games as you play. To help report any matches you felt were not in the data center you normally connect to and if possible provide the replay codes. Not saying there is a specific issue/ bug with the matchmaker, but any info you wish to contribute will help me get more of an idea of how often this is happens and what we should expect.

3 Likes

I usually play on USA servers for 5 years, now I’m forced to play EUR servers

please someone allow me to play the server I’ve been playing for years… I miss it already

allow me to at least pick the region I want to play when queuing, it’s so important for me, this update has depressed me greatly…

Didn’t care about crossplay being a thing, but the fact I am now forced to play a specific region unless queuing with others (which now promotes smurfing if you’re too high to queue with them…)

16 Likes

Just to clarify, are you European have have deliberately played in the Americas region? Unfortunately. this topic is NOT for help about that, but identify instances of connecting to what should be your fastest datacenter.

mb sorry… I just want a way to connect to the region I have played for 5 years without using a VPN (which can get me banned from other games such as maple story)

nobody understand how I’m feeling rn… I feel helpless and nobody is gonna listen to people like me on this fact cause we are minority :tired_face:

if anyone is reading this and is considering a VPN, DO NOT! It can get you banned from other multiplayer games! It’s a huge risk!

3 Likes

Most multiplayer games don’t mind VPNs, but yeah, MapleStory I remember being one to prohibit it for reasons related mostly toward South Korean culture (to prevent players who were banned from getting in again).

As with all games, this is why players should always read the EULAs.

1 Like

It’s not really out of region, but I figured I might as well report it, as it is the first time I get matched into those servers in months I want to say. And I notice these games, I am not used to playing with high ping and the games’ quality is always terrible, don’t know why.

Got into MES1 (~150 ms) in EU evening times, no low pop times. Queue times a bit later with two friends were still <3 minutes as double dps, one support, so that shouldn’t be the reason.

hey Wyoming, just curious are you able to get any information on whether or not they will be implementing anything in the future so people have an optional setting to pick which region they prefer when queuing like on Team Fortress 2.

2 Likes

Was this addressed to you specifically or to the playerbase at large? Asking because I want them to know that time of day matters so they can tell players to report that too.

What about knowingly having outsider players in my matches?

Plenty of that today, and to shorten that list down you can jot down every person with the name “M7md” and “aboody” and those with “SA/KSA” in their name from my recent players/matches list.

Please only report your own match experience.

Don’t want to nitpick, but it’s spelled Singapore.

There's a second opinion for you.
3 Likes

Very Bad Decision
this Global play is just a disaster
its cheap and lazy
rather than giving console choice to choose regions you take it from us PC players

6 Likes

I just went to the Training section to test out and it puts me in MES1 server even though my country falls in Americas region and I have been playing in Americas ever since

I don’t understand.
Wouldn’t LAX1 be closer to Wyoming than ORD1?
I guess you may be in a border region between the two.

Why on earth would I ever help Blizzard do anything with this fundamentally flawed system?

They dug this idiot hole. I ain’t throwing them my shovel.

7 Likes

If you immediately load the game without giving it a few seconds that is going to happen because the client hasn’t had the chance to ping all possible datacenters yet. Wait in the lobby for at least 30 seconds, then try going into the training range.