Crossplay update soft region locked everyone

this is a matter of opinion

my opinion: I would rather leave the game than pretend as if I’m playing QuakeWorld in 1995 on a modem with a ping of 250ms

46 Likes

Oh, I’ve been giving people that as the answer to solve their issues.

In OCE it is the standard way to end up on the US servers.

Makes sense, I can see why you would want to do that.

So if I want to play solo in a different region I will no longer have the option to do so? Any plans to let us switch “preferred data center” like we can in custom games but for matchmaking?
This is a big deal for people playing during off peak hours. ie at 2 am in EU support qs can take up to 10+mins in low masters meanwhile they are 2-5mins in NA. I don’t think you guys understand how much this change will affect your players.

22 Likes

The problem I have with this is that it is forced.
I want to play on other servers.
I want faster queue’s on other servers because my main server isn’t in peak hours.
Why would you take away our option to do this?
I understand the decision, and in general it’s good change.
I don’t understand why you won’t let the players themselves choose to opt in or out.
It also certainly doesn’t help that we can still choose other servers in the Battlenet launcher while it won’t do a thing now.

21 Likes

I want to be able to solo queue on different regions, this isn’t fair for people who want to do this.

21 Likes

“it’s fine, you can wait 10+ minutes for the matchmaker to expand its parameters until it includes the region you actually want. working as intended”

8 Likes

You’d think the correct option would be to make everybody matched into the Global region by default. Then have some difficult to find setting that blocks/filters specific regions.

1 Like

I know it’s a separate issue, but I’m still wondering why we’re even required to join General Chat in the first place. I’ve never encountered a situation where it benefited me in any way. All it really does is occasionally get in the way when reading private/group chat.

6 Likes

Reread the post there are no longer any regions. So you can be placed in a games with players outside what would have been your region if that’s the best game the match maker sets up.

1 Like

No.
Literally just revert this.
It’s THAT simple.
Except that it’s not, considering it would be tedious to do so.

Preferred data-centers would probably be the closest to satisfaction.
Or maybe a simple dropdown menu where u can choose to get matches with either faster queue’s, or better ping.

4 Likes

You and I know that isn’t happening.

But if they had an option that you had to dig a little too access, that let you pick and choose your data center(s), that would affect maybe 1% of players.

I’m sure they’d be up for that.

2 Likes

“1% of the players”

I’m sure lots of big streamers with plenty of viewers enjoy getting randomly and unwillingly getting put in games with players that can’t speak their language + get crazy ping.
IDDQD and ML7 are an example.
So it definitely affects more than 1%

I’m not trying to sound entitled here, but this change just doesn’t make sense and I don’t recall anyone that specifically asked for this.

22 Likes

Other way around.

I’m saying have everybody in the global matchmaking by default.

Then have a somewhat difficult to find menu to pick and choose data centers. Which maybe 1% of players would make use of.

Well duh, of course only 1% of the players would use it, because you keep saying to make it somewhat difficult to find, so people aren’t gonna bother.

Again, just have a simple option to enable global play.
I am basically just agreeing with you here.
Except not have it default.

This goes back to when the added private profiles.
They made everyone’s profile private by default, and to this day it still probably leads to why you see so many private profiles. Because people can’t be bothered / don’t care changing it.

This is a win-win situation.
The entire playerbase starts on their own previously selected server / data-center, and then have the option to play globally.

1 Like

How comes Team Fortress 2 can allow you to pick your preferred ping then? so you’re able to get into the region you want when queuing

You literally just erased my experience from the game as I’ve played NA servers on my accounts for 5 years…

22 Likes

This is not the best way though.

• If you play outside of peak hours, or at extreme SR you can randomly end up in higher ping matches.
  • Eu is a mix of lots of countries with most non-native english speakers, making the voice experience FAR worse then Na. Before this change the Eu players could choose to have constant and stable higher ping to get those better coms. After taking away the players choice on choosing region it’s not even an guarantee using a vpn set to America.
  • Before you could choose. Early morning Na could go Eu for more players active and late night Eu could go Na for more players active. Now your playing the lottery on what region you end up in if your playing on off-peak hours.

This is just bad. Two competitors, Valorant and Apex Legends both have the option of choosing which datacenter to connect to in order to know what ping you will play at, so why would Overwatch go the other way and remove the option?
And looking at twitter, the forums and the Overwatch streamers chats, it seems that a big majority is really unhappy about this change.

32 Likes

Yeah, tons of people used to play NA servers, and they have ruined the experience for THOUSANDS of players.

they don’t seem to care either, from the response.

11 Likes

it wouldn’t be much of a problem if ow was playable with 100ms but the gameplay is awful. Other fps games are totally playable with 100ms. For some reason hitscans are somehow bearable. Tracer, doom, rein shield/shatter are not.

1 Like

Yeah, this is what I kept getting told when I was dropped onto NA servers with 240 ping. I left a whole lot of games that week.

Anything over 100ms is unplayable.

It is ALWAYS necessary. Choosing where we play has been the player’s #1 tool for guaranteeing the quality of their game session since the dawn of online gaming.

17 Likes

they need to add it

I’m so stressed out

like honestly, I reinstalled the game just to find out about this!?!?!?!?!

like come’on I can never play competitive again now unless I’m in a party with people which really stinks!

5 years… and then they just randomly remove it out of nowhere

like why…

NO WARNING, NOTHING

3 Likes