Arena Forums Town Hall: Community, Rhetoric, and Ethics

Good evening to all arena forum regulars, passer-bys, and lurkers! A few days ago, while having a discussion in the Classic TBC forums, it took me by surprise to see that I was coming up on my 5000th post to the forums. I’ve been on the forums for almost two years now, so it’s fair to say I’ve read a lot of posts and, as you can see by my post count, I’ve written my fair share of posts as well. I love the forums and I care for them deeply, they are, in my opinion, the heart of the game’s discussions, debates, and feedback. I am honored that I am able to influence and contribute to a game that I love, and have loved since a young child. Which brings me to my post today…

As of late, it feels like some posts in the Arena subsection specifically are leaning more and more towards nonproductive. I’d like for this post to be a discussion about what we, as a community, want from the posts and replies in the arena subsection.

Some guiding questions to facilitate this discussion (feel free to answer them directly or branch out a bit, this discussion is meant to be somewhat broad):

Is it productive to ask for nerfs here, in most cases, demand them, or should we move on to more strategy driven discussions? The difference between “Nerf holy priest” and “What can I do to better play against holy priest?” Is there a middle ground between these two dominant spheres of thought?

Should 2vs2 arena be considered for serious discussions on the forums? Or is 3vs3 arena the only content worthy of meaningful discussion?

Should someone’s rating/achievements affect how we view their posts? Is it relevant in some cases or should posts be judged on their merit alone?

Here are the Arena forums guidelines for reference: Welcome! Please Read This Before Posting

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the discussion.

2 Likes

Ah life is good.

46 Likes

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

18 Likes

Just remember that no matter how bad your life could possibly get, at least you aren’t Bloomsday

34 Likes

anyone know if they patched equipping a dozen legendaries yet?

2 Likes

the sad part is someone spent 30+ minutes writing this knowing full well nobody would respond seriously

4 Likes

What do you mean? That’s the best part.

15 Likes

I have no idea what the post says, but trust me he deserves it. Whatever this is was written to troll the community and waste yours and everyone else’s time. Don’t be a victim of this sea lion.

14 Likes

I have enjoyed seeing this “town hall” just become a “call bloomsday a troll and dump on him” thread.

13 Likes

anyone know where ion bnet i can pay my union dues?

2 Likes

hey if you send the dues to this guy named Stepmoose on a52, he’ll get you sorted

does he have a venmo? it’s all good

uh he might

:eyes:

It didn’t take me 30+ minutes to write this – I’m quite a competent writer. However, it is sad to see the responses to this. I was hoping more people would be more interested in improving the community in this sub forum specifically. The responses, sad as they might be, are not all too surprising – this is exactly why I feel my OP was needed.

1 Like

ok

thank you

1 Like

You can have a troll report, as a treat

10 Likes

Taking a break from trolling the classic forums I see. You also are starting to break character in the LFD post. I know your whole thing is to be fake polite, smug, and condescending but those threads are starting to make you break.

13 Likes

on the one hand the idea that he puts a serious part time job’s worth of effort into bad faith posting on more than one forum at a time is really funny. on the other, believing that sounds like the kind of thing a bloomsday sock puppet would invent

13 Likes

it’s shocking that you think the arena forums would be capable of seeing anything you post

3 Likes

He posted something?

1 Like