How matchmaker should work (imho)

Overwatch is Free to Play for the purposes of this discussion.
(You can create an unlimited number of accounts.)

Competitive should return to No Limits.
(no more role queue or anything)(I had this written up before role queue, this is not an anti-role queue post, per se)

The ladder will be solo queue only. With no grouping and no avoid player slots.
(they can have 6v6 or group play in another mode) This post is only about solo queue.

All new accounts will start out at zero MMR. There is no negative MMR, zero is the lowest you can go. There is no more SR. You’re allowed to queue up for competitive as soon as you create an account

You’re allow to shed any amount of MMR you want with the click of a button.

(i.g. The highest rated player or anyone else in the game can drop thier MMR to zero, to 10, to 200, to 4100, or any amount they want.)(There would have to be a set amount of MMR a match was worth when both teams have zero MMR. Maybe it’s 0.01% of the current highest rated player) (I think a benifical effect of this is at ZEROMMR, that’s where all the smurfs will be. Zero MMR will be the wild west, and the rest of the ladder will have great games because lack of smurfs.)

Glicko or Glicko2 rating system will be used. I don’t care, just as long as it’s simple. And PBSR is abolished. The only input to the rating system is win/loss and the current rating (including certainty per Glicko) of each player.

The rating system will be 100% transparent.

There is a giant global/regional list of all ladder participants.

Anything that happens in the ladder is public knowledge. Including all stats, hero play time etc. No private profiles.

All replays of all games will be viewable (with names displayed.) (I understand how this is expensive and practically impossible, but that is outside of the scope of this discussion.)

A ring should be put around the payload. All hero ability attributes will be published. Or release the API or whatever. And all obscure mechanics will be published i.e. delayed spawn, hasten spawn on 2cp etc…

Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

You directed me to this post from a different post.

You just created an unbalanceable game.

Welcome to console Overwatch. You have to purchase one account, though. The rest are free.

This goes against the entire idea of Overwatch—a team game.

As opposed to…

An absolute nightmare. 25 is too early to grant access to competitive.

Ah, smurfing. Competitive would be nothing but smurfing. Why challenge yourself when you can just stop whomever you want “with the click of a button.”

At this point in your system, who cares? Players can’t take advantage of a system that allows them to chose any rank below their own.

Finally, one good idea.

Two good ideas.

In my opinion, your competitive system is the least competitive system I’ve ever seen. It’s like a casual’s guide to a competitive game.

4 Likes

It was removed for a reason

A very, very good reason

Wow hell no

So force every GM to do a bronze to GM…

No thanks

So sanction deranking and make it easy

No thanks

I almost agree with this

In short… I’m very glad you do not work for Blizzard. This would be the death of the game, easily.

5 Likes

This is bait. It has to be bait.

5 Likes

transparency and honesty is 1 thing this community doesn’t want to. People want to hide their stats, lvls , maybe soon hero they play to “avoid toxicity” while their private profile shows 100h on mercy while they dps with widow and blame tanks or healers.

Other than that MMR shouldn’t be reset because i actually want to play the game for next couple of months and not wait until all the bronzes fall down and all GMs stop stomping their way to the top.

I agree that the whole system should be transparent. I don’t like that i can get 50SR for a game in plat and roflstomp my way to diamond. Ranks are too easy to climb with PBSR and thats why most of the community bottlenecks at plat/diamond and thats why it is so hard to get out of it(it artificialy increases randomness of the matchess by matching people who got there with PBSR and people who got there with their skill and smurfs. Until PBSR will be on all ranks or none of them there will always be a bottleneck somewhere in ranks. If gold was where PBSR stops the biggest playerbase would be there. It would have less of an effect the lower PBSR stops but it would still be there.

For the rest everything has its ups and downs.

1 Like

tell me something I don’t know

I don’t believe that to be true.

A three year old can play competitive overwatch. The SR system will put him with other 3 year olds.

people are still allowed to challenge themselves

it’s the principle of the matter. If you have a different view, I acknowledge it and oppose it.

I think it’s the most competitive system I’ve ever seen.

you’re making them level up to level25 anyway, why not make it count towards something?

you think Overwatch owes a pee-wee league i.e. silver and below. I saw blizz should only care about the upper echelon of players. You can never stop sandbagging, so let’s just end the charade. Jeff said Blizz has a new system in place to catch derankers. I’m skeptical, but I’ll keep good faith. And that’s not even the point. The point is that preventing deranking does more harm than good imho.

I feel I have thoroughly disproven this system.

So why are you trying to make PC more like console?

Okay.

Well, that 3-year old could be queued with 5 GMs that just shed their MMR.

Oh yes, I forgot—bronze to GM challenge

But you fail to make any logical argument to oppose my ideas. You’re just saying, “I disagree.”

Well, to take a page out of your book, i think it’s the least competitive system I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

I don’t.

I prefer discussing Overwatch in the free to play model because it is the purest; because I’m fairly certain it will be free to play in five years. And even more so, to specifically address console users.

I’m okay with this. “The better you are, the more integrity your games will have.” This should be blizz’s stance imho. The ladder is open to massive exploitation, I say we just give everyone a fair shot. I’d really like to tell you all about this, but you don’t have comms. MAYBE I will type it all up some day.

there are others that you are willfully ignorant of

and you just call my ideas nonsensical, it goes against what the devs say… but have no counter argument

you’re repeating yourself

are you high or just unbelievably stupid?

3 Likes

wanna play a game of overwatch with me? I’ll send you a friend invite.

yeah man, i really want to spend my time with people in silver

3 Likes

yeah, didn’t see your SR

you wanna talk about this thread over comms. I think I can convince you that my ideas are sound.

no, my friend, you cant. nor will i waste either of our time letting you try. all i can say is i hope you never get the opportunity to have any form of influence on any game,

4 Likes

my resume was just submitted yesterday

Y[quote=“Tactician-11177, post:8, topic:388831”]
I don’t
[/quote]

Fair enough. We have nothing more to discuss on your “perfect balance” post. We don’t agree, and that is okay.

I don’t know about the purest for of OW being free to play, but I’m fine with OW going F2P and don’t mind discussing the game in that fashion.

Hypothetically, Blizz could pay every player $10.00 dollar for every competitive match they win, and OW would still have throwers, leavers, trolls, and griefers. “Some people just want to watch the world burn.”

The current ladder is a great competitive system that places players approximately where they belong based on their skill.

Different mediums, tactician. Sorry.

And I will read it if I come across it. I love reading.

Willfully and unwillfully. My one goal is to improve and climb with as many heroes and roles as possible.

No, revisit our discussions. We go back and forth before reaching an impasse.

3 Likes

You’re only making me more happy you aren’t on the development team

6 Likes

and my system would do the same. In the current system, someone may be 1,394,563rd away from the best OW player on the ladder. With my system, that same person would be 1,394,563rd away from the best OW player on the ladder.

you’re the one who’s missing out

I think this is the most likely answer:

3 Likes

if you don’t post on my threads, that will be one less reply I can make

Admittedly, I have no idea what this number is, man.

1 Like